Post Thanks / Like

Re: Donner lake help on minnows

Quote Originally Posted by juejaimon View Post
    I have a hard time at Donner also. but it feels less intimidating than Tahoe based on size of lake. I will give Donner a try since i've been told that there are larger Macks at Donner than Tahoe.
    I think the Lake trout may be bigger in Donner but they aren't easier. The biggest Lake Trout I've ever seen broached right next to my pram when I was fly fishing the lake one time. It had to have been 20# plus and on the surface in 80' of water.
    I've fished that lake in all the seasons day and night and even one year through rotten ice when it got cold enough to support your weight...mostly. As you walked out on the ice and were over 100'+ deep water your leg would go through the top layer of ice, into a slush layer and then be stopped by a 2" bottom layer of ice. Sometimes your foot went through into the lake but because the ice was in layers it didn't shatter like too thin so0lid ice would. Now that I think about it, that has to go on my list of really stupid things I've done and didn't kill myself.
    The reason I was out there was that guys were catching huge Lake Trout jugging through the ice on Donner. The biggest I recall was 22# out of China Cove. I've yet to catch my first Lake Trout out of that lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sprig1 View Post
    Donner is a tough lake to catch anything from minnows to Mackinaw. Just getting minnows isn't a sure bet for success. There are guys who do well there but I'm not one of them. If you've never fished there, have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised if you exceed them. Good luck!...and don't transport the minnows to other places.
    I have a hard time at Donner also. but it feels less intimidating than Tahoe based on size of lake. I will give Donner a try since i've been told that there are larger Macks at Donner than Tahoe.

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t know Donner as well, but in Tahoe I do better in 60-80’ of water this time of year, and you need to find big boulders. Assume is a water temp migration thing.

Also make sure not to put meat in the trap. Dry cat or dog food works, but wet or anything with meat draws crawdads too and they’ll tear up the minnows.

Good luck

4. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Donner is a tough lake to catch anything from minnows to Mackinaw. Just getting minnows isn't a sure bet for success. There are guys who do well there but I'm not one of them. If you've never fished there, have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised if you exceed them. Good luck!...and don't transport the minnows to other places.

Post Thanks / Like

We were there a few months ago and caught a lot of crayfish on the shore. it was fun for the little ones!

Post Thanks / Like

I have only had luck in the rocks near the boat dock , but only catch a few after a half hour...often times more crayfish than minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

Donner lake help on minnows

Headed to Donner this weekend and want to set out a trap for minnows.

Don't know to much about the lake or where to set up a trap would love to know where I can load up bait for the kids.

Also going to be taking some kids fishing. Any advice on the lake is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

9. Likes Paintguy liked this post