Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mokelumne River - Trout!

And here you go again with some great suggestions of wanton waste. And as for trying to inform Erik on what to do and not to do is most funny he has been slaying that river for countless years of wild trout and steelhead. He is a stand up very educated and respected river and stream slayer. SMH

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by saizo View Post
    Did they change the regs again for the moke? Before you can fish barbs and one hatchery fish limit. I think it just has to be 16 in to be considered a steelhead. And you must have a steelhead punch card while fishing that area.
    Regs are any type hook and one hatchery Trout or One hatchery Steelhead.
    Redds are normaly clean bottom Gravel that looks as if it was Turn over By a Spawning fish!!!
    Most of the river Bottom is brown but if it looks as if the gravel is new or clean. Avoid it .better to play it safe than destroy a Possible spawning bed!!!there are native steelhead that are Born in that river that never make it to the Ocean .
    There is Home Grown Trout and i`m sure there are a few salmon Smolts as well and If you come into a Pike Minnow as i did Last week , I would destroy it and throw it back in the river so It can add food and Nutrient to the water as do the salmon when it decays!

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

3. Likes reeltor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did they change the regs again for the moke? Before you can fish barbs and one hatchery fish limit. I think it just has to be 16 in to be considered a steelhead. And you must have a steelhead punch card while fishing that area.

5. Likes reeltor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love that stretch of river. There are bigger trout and steelhead in there, but I'm perfectly content catching the fish you did.

I agree that stretch of river has a lot of salmon and steelhead redds in it. Got tip for others to stay out of them. Most folks know the clean gravel patches are specific spawning beds but some don't.

Nice report.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets not give people the idea to wade redds is ok as long as you don't step on them.... There is excellent trout fishing all over the area right now. 14-16" fish are not worth destroying redds over. I know you said you were careful but it's just not worth it IMO.

8. Likes Trickytrucker, Fishfinder, dilbeck liked this post
    Dislikes CRABBY disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mokelumne River - Trout!

Spent about 4 hours yesterday at Mokelumne River Day use area after several days of getting skunked on the American River (Sailor Bar all the way down to Paradise Beach). Bring your waders (don't step on the red eggs - easy to see) and hit all the deeper runs along the banks and you will catch fish. I used a float with night crawlers the whole time and had nothing but fun. I caught all wild rainbows that were in the 10" to 14" range. They have to be 16" or more to keep and they have to be hatchery fish.

10. Likes phishndad, CRABBY, USED 2 B IRON liked this post