Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hoopa Tribe Salmon Poachers

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    Different fish so your analogy holds no water. The klamath management zone(kmz) was closed

Commercial harvest in the kmz for 2017 was ZERO.

Recreational charter harvest in the kmz for 2017 was ZERO.

If you refer to my previous post in this thread, there are 6 tribes that make up the "salmon people" of tribes that live on the klamath/trinity and historically depended on the salmon for sustenance and ceremony. The 163 this agreed to harvest were mostly for ceremonial purposes. They were provided access to fish from other fisheries for sustenance.
    The tribes work with their own biologist and fisheries department to set management goals then they lobby for federal conservation in the salmon meetings
    All 6 tribes agreed, 1 out of 6 tribes broke their own treaty they lobbied for and agreed to in last years March meeting.
    Also, I know it's not the same as catching fish in your home river but the tribes were provided access to salmon from other healthier runs so they could eat and provide their elders with salmon.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TBSP View Post
    I am on board when it comes to following all laws and regulations set for us by the CDFW and am in no way condoning what this particular tribe did. But a quota of 163 fish for a tribe of over 2,000? Ridiculous, a slap in the face, when one single recreational charter boat can bring that many fish to the dock in a week.
    Different fish so your analogy holds no water. The klamath management zone(kmz) was closed

Commercial harvest in the kmz for 2017 was ZERO.

Recreational charter harvest in the kmz for 2017 was ZERO.

If you refer to my previous post in this thread, there are 6 tribes that make up the "salmon people" of tribes that live on the klamath/trinity and historically depended on the salmon for sustenance and ceremony. The 163 this agreed to harvest were mostly for ceremonial purposes. They were provided access to fish from other fisheries for sustenance.
    The tribes work with their own biologist and fisheries department to set management goals then they lobby for federal conservation in the salmon meetings
    All 6 tribes agreed, 1 out of 6 tribes broke their own treaty they lobbied for and agreed to in last years March meeting.
    Also, I know it's not the same as catching fish in your home river but the tribes were provided access to salmon from other healthier runs so they could eat and provide their elders with salmon.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

3. Likes Troutbead liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am on board when it comes to following all laws and regulations set for us by the CDFW and am in no way condoning what this particular tribe did. But a quota of 163 fish for a tribe of over 2,000? Ridiculous, a slap in the face, when one single recreational charter boat can bring that many fish to the dock in a week.

5. Dislikes Troutbead disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteelyMan View Post
    That was my point from the start , that the Yurok and all others, including all us evil White Folk followed the regulations and stayed off the River. When you purposely violate the law regarding Fish and Game you are a Poacher and are showing disrespect to wildlife............some of these responses are down right funny.
    Let me Ask!!!!how are we quote :white men being evil by following the Regulations???maybe we should say ,,: evil you should say ....Evil American Natives for acting Like they did not know they went over the Limit and they did know ,Fish Count regulated for them for there cultural Lifestyle by the White man Government and they said the hell with the white man. We where here first,, we do what we want and do what ??? Come on the res and take our fish and life style from us???? Just a Thought Ok . This hating needs to stop. we all live with laws and regardless of what Tribe, Country , skin color , or College degree , we need to be accountable for reading English .Knowing English and Reading The Regulations and if you a American Indian , should now what your Tribe should and not take during a season.and Playing stupid has a Penalty for all us No Matter who ,what or smart we are because actually your looking stupid!

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

"Steelyman I never said you were a evil white man. And I admitted if there was a agreement then it should have been followed. But I also stand strong on what the natives do on there reservation and the river runs through it shouldn't be a problem. "
    To a point , I agree that they should be able to fish just as their ancestors did .... Exactly as they did .... Making their own nets from the same resources as their ancestors used , not monofiliament and as long as they don't block the entire river which they frequently do I'm fine with them netting fish .... This Tribe has been caught selling Salmon in SF more than once ... Agreement or not follow the rules or loose the privlage .... Up to me this tribe would not fish for at least 2 yrs ....consequences teach lessons , warnings mean nothing ....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAL.NDN View Post
    Oh boy they got 1600 fish for the over 2000 that live on there reservation. Sorry I try not to get into these threads because I am native California Indian ( cal.ndn) and the hate and jealously that comes from some here just rubs me the wrong way. These family have already got the short end of the stick in the last 200 years get over it about what they get to harvest. We had no problems with fish population before look for the real problems and it's not natives doing what natives have done here in Cali for tens of thousands years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Their quote was 163. Yes 1600 fish is a very big issue. And they admitted that they knowingly went over their quota. Yes it is a big deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea it wasn't about you glad you understand that's why I try just to stay out of the conversation it is hard to discuss things sometimes on the internet they get interpreted the wrong way. Ok I'm out of this thread I said all I am going to and it can be took with a grain of salt if need be. And you seem like a a good man who cares about our future and I respect that steelyman. Have a great day.

THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

10. Likes Datster_2000, reeltor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAL.NDN View Post
    Steelyman I never said you were a evil white man. And I admitted if there was a agreement then it should have been followed. But I also stand strong on what the natives do on there reservation and the river runs through it shouldn't be a problem. And every year we here people complaining on here about there nets or something to do with them and the salmon they have been after for a long time. And 1600 salmon to a reservation of well over 2000 is actually a insult. And the one person I was referring to who always hates on natives knows who I was talking about to quit crying and get over it. The same person who when he joined a few years ago sent me PM message telling me how horrible natives were and wasteful people and there no good for the salmon population. Mind you this was before I had to tell him you should know who your talking to before you send someone messages putting down people. And every reservation have there own rights to hunt and fish on them it was part of the treaty. http://law.jrank.org/pages/8750/Nati...ng-Rights.html here is someting that all people should read and understand before worring about what natives do on there land. Hate on the treaty not the natives.

Ps so theoretically it is not poaching. It was breaking a agreement
    I was pointing out what this particular Tribe did. The number of Salmon was small,it was the blatant
    "Breaking of Agreement" that was disturbing, especially with the condition of the run. Because someone points out something that an Indian Tribe did does not mean they are "hating on the Natives". I have come to like you over the years here and know you weren't accusing me of being an racist White guy.

12. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Steelyman I never said you were a evil white man. And I admitted if there was a agreement then it should have been followed. But I also stand strong on what the natives do on there reservation and the river runs through it shouldn't be a problem. And every year we here people complaining on here about there nets or something to do with them and the salmon they have been after for a long time. And 1600 salmon to a reservation of well over 2000 is actually a insult. And the one person I was referring to who always hates on natives knows who I was talking about to quit crying and get over it. The same person who when he joined a few years ago sent me PM message telling me how horrible natives were and wasteful people and there no good for the salmon population. Mind you this was before I had to tell him you should know who your talking to before you send someone messages putting down people. And every reservation have there own rights to hunt and fish on them it was part of the treaty. http://law.jrank.org/pages/8750/Nati...ng-Rights.html here is someting that all people should read and understand before worring about what natives do on there land. Hate on the treaty not the natives.

Ps so theoretically it is not poaching. It was breaking a agreement
    Last edited by CAL.NDN; 03-28-2018 at 09:06 PM.
    THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

14. Likes Kaban12, Bigg A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That was my point from the start , that the Yurok and all others, including all us evil White Folk followed the regulations and stayed off the River. When you purposely violate the law regarding Fish and Game you are a Poacher and are showing disrespect to wildlife............some of these responses are down right funny.

16. Likes Troutbead, Waterdog liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast