Thread: .270 wsm

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: .270 wsm

Quote Originally Posted by Grncrestliner View Post
    You are acquiring a good selection of big game hunting rifles. I have buddies who shoot some of the short magnums including the 270 WSM. For me personally I have found the recoil to be more than I expected but then I am starting to get a little recoil sensitive. Depending on how well it fits you that MacMillan's recoil might not be bad. I am pretty sure it will be accurate.

Now you need to start drawing some tags.
    My 30-06 packs a whollup but it's a sharp hit. The WSM's tend to be more of a push. My 300 WSM is easier on me than the 06. I may put a muzzle brake on this if I find it's more than I like.

The 300 averages 3300 fps on my LabRadar with a 180 grain bullet. I expect the .270 to be around 3000 fps with 150 grain bullet.

The McMillan originally sold for around 6000.00 and I got this one for 4100.00 with the optics. I think I did pretty good. I'll know for sure when I get it on the sled and shoot some 200 yard groups.
    Last edited by LineStretcher; 06-10-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: .270 wsm

You are acquiring a good selection of big game hunting rifles. I have buddies who shoot some of the short magnums including the 270 WSM. For me personally I have found the recoil to be more than I expected but then I am starting to get a little recoil sensitive. Depending on how well it fits you that MacMillan's recoil might not be bad. I am pretty sure it will be accurate.

Now you need to start drawing some tags.

3. Likes LineStretcher liked this post
    aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

.270 wsm

I've been on the search for a .270 for a while now. I just wanted to round out my hunting rifle collection and the .270 was the final piece of the puzzle. A .270 Win is a little underpowered for my liking so I was looking for a .270 WSM. It sits somewhere between a .270 Win and a .270 Weatherby Magnum. I already have a .300 WSM and like the round better than my 30-06 but it's a little big for the smaller game (the 30-06 is too). My .308 is an AR-10 and has a heavy bull barrel so it's too heavy to lug around the hills all day.

O.K. So I was at a sporting good shop in Reno and asking what they had in .270 WSM and they only had two. One was a pre 64 Model 70 Winchester Sporter but they wanted way too much money for it. The other was a McMillan G30 Dynasty with Leopold 3Xi optics. The Mac was twice the price of the Sporter but also one of the finest rifles ever made. After a thorough going over it appears to have been a safe gun since there's not a scratch on it and the barrel and crown are fresh. It came home with me today and she's a beauty.

5. Likes monkey916, burninfuel liked this post