Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Salmon guide opening week

I do watch the videos they old. . and have been fishing once or twice.... but what the hell... I am retired.. ain't got nothing better to do the first week of the season.

So why not go out with someone like Scott.

Shoot I have pissed away two hundred bucks on worse than

2. Likes redneckpunk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Biggest thing that helped me was paying attention to depth/bottom contour and watching the rod to make sure my setup was working properly. Proper tip vibration or pulse.

4. Likes monkey916 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

JW is right. I watched lots of YouTube videos of guys up in PNW. Took me a couple of full fishing days to hook up on my first nook trolling and haven’t had issues pulling limits since. Just do some research on a few different methods so you have options if the bite is slow. Methods up in PNW work the same down here. No need to pay for a guide that’ll maybe show you one method of fishing cause once you get your limit with a guide learning time is over. You’ll learn more on your own. LOTS of methods to learn that are super easy to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Last year I started fishing the river on Aug 1st. I finally hit the jackpot with my first salmon on on Aug 19. (With a double).

After that, I caught salmon regularly. Started with silvertrons, and ended up with brads cut plugs.

I dont think there is any shortcut. To catch fish, you have to put time on the water. If I didnt catch fish after time, I would have hired a guide to teach me how to stop doing what I was doing wrong, and start to do things right. All of the guides mentioned will teach you, you just have to ask.

Rich
    Last edited by retiredagain; 06-13-2018 at 07:32 PM. Reason: add the word river

7. Likes Bret1972 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree with JW on this,,,,,, This is basic stuff, you can learn enough off you tube videos
    (hell, the same guides you recommend have step by step tutorial video's on line)and a couple seminars. The Metro area is 90% about River conditions and are there fish present at the time your there. Going with a guide is fine ( i do) but this is really simple stuff. Try your luck and if you feel after a couple trips that you are struggling than get a guide. Good luck,, see you on the River.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woodie View Post
    I would like to go on one of the salmon guide boats the first week of salmon season.

I would like to find a guide launching in Sacramento or around Walnut Grove

I would like to go out on the boat the trolls spinners, flatfish, cut plugs and such.

My purpose to is to see if I can learn something.

Anyone have any recommendations on the guide.
    Most guides won’t be fishing that low on the river. I know Scott Feist will hammer the mouth of the American for about a week before moving on up. He trolls spinners mostly. Later in the season, everyone and their brother will be down low trolling cut plugs. JW is right, trolling spinners like we do, isn’t the hardest thing in the world. Check out bass jacks site for the exact set up I use. I think the biggest thing is consistentcy . I know really two stretches of water on the lower sac that I’m confident in catching fish in year after year. Other than that, it’s a learning game for me as well. Just put your time in. My one piece of advice, make sure whatever you use, you are on the bottom.
    Last edited by Chrome Seeker; 06-13-2018 at 06:32 PM.

10. Likes SteelyMan, monkey916 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Several good guys to learn from. James is a good guy. J.D. Richey, Kevin Brock, Mike Gravert, and Scott Feist are all good teachers. One thing I would suggest is to let whoever you book from know you're interested in a training day. It will change their approach to your day. You may not sit in the most likely hole to get a bite, but they will show you more of the river and what to look for.

I've never liked fishing with a guide just to catch fish. The guide caught the fish, I just held the rod and reeled it in. I have very much appreciated fishing with several guides who were willing to tell me why we were fishing a spot and why were using that gear.

Sounds like you may be the same, and I think you're on the right track.
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 06-13-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    I dunno JW - there are nuances to any fishery that separate the fishers from the catchers - lower Sac is no different. Can’t learn those little things that make the difference via you tube.
    Naw
    Just YouTube it
    Watching someone reel in fire engine nooks while being serenaded with the finest thrash metal/rap/house music in the background is all you need to learn how to fish for salmon.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just simply putting out another option since Woodie said he wants to get schooled up on the techniques early on in the season and everyone suggested that he wait 2 months which clearly isn't what he wants to do. But if everyone wants to fight about who's opinion or suggestions are better than the others please continue to reply.

J W

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno JW - there are nuances to any fishery that separate the fishers from the catchers - lower Sac is no different. Can’t learn those little things that make the difference via you tube.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast