Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Citrus Heights "I hate being a flatlander"
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blue green alagae (cyanobacteria) and microcystin tox

    I went up on the 12th . I caught a few rainbows, released all. You know how when you get a rainbow they are bright and colorful, then after you put them on a stringer they get dark. The fish I caught were very dark. I also noted the lack of sub-surface insects. The algae I got on my gear, was black. I went to Dark Lake did not see any signs of algae. The fish were not interested in my night crawlers or salmon eggs, I did find two helgermites that were hit on in instance, I missed both. I went over to our neighbors, and checked their pump, water came out black.

  2. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Citrus Heights "I hate being a flatlander"
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blue green alagae (cyanobacteria) and microcystin tox

    Quote Originally Posted by Trout Tracker View Post
    What about pollen from the trees that get in the water.
    Can it make a dog sick or kill it?
    My father and a few friends built the cabin in 1952 (the year of my birth ). Every spring there is a very yellow pollen, that collects all over. My son was fishing with me one year when he fell in and came up covered in the bright yellow stuff. It broke my heart, but I insisted that he get in the water and rinse it off. There was a lot of snow on the ground. Always regretted doing that. That bright yellow stuff is harmless.

  3. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Citrus Heights "I hate being a flatlander"
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blue green alagae (cyanobacteria) and microcystin tox

    Quote Originally Posted by fishfilA View Post
    Source?
    The Forest service was suposed to test yesterday. One theory is because they killed off the no native fish in lakes above that they introduced, that those rotting fish are supplying things needed by the bloom. I am told that nearby Dark Lake is not affected, it is a spring fed lake.

  4. #6
    Senior Member Waterdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Posts
    2,034
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blue green alagae (cyanobacteria) and microcystin tox

    Im not aware of pollen in water being toxic to dogs. I assume there may be some pollens that If consumed by a dog could make him ill. I do know that toxic algae can kill a dog in hours and there is little a vet can do to save him.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sacramento,Calif
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blue green alagae (cyanobacteria) and microcystin tox

    What about pollen from the trees that get in the water.
    Can it make a dog sick or kill it?

  6. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blue green alagae (cyanobacteria) and microcystin tox

    All I know too there are certain algae that are toxic. Nice heads up

  7. #3
    Senior Member Waterdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Posts
    2,034
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blue green alagae (cyanobacteria) and microcystin tox

    Toxic algae blooms are generally found in lakes with warming water and lakes rich in nutrients of phosphorus and nitrogen usually from farm lands. High elevation lakes can have algae but I’ve never heard of toxic algae blooms in high elevation cold mountain lakes. Doesn’t mean they don’t happen there but I’ve never heard of it. I too would like to know the source of the info.
    Toxic algae blooms can kill a dog who drinks or swims in the water in a matter of hours.
    Since I have labs who accompany me on my out door adventures I’ve studied the subject in depth. If you see thick green algae keep your dog far away from it. You can’t tell if algae is toxic by looking at it so it’s just best to avoid all algae blooms.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

  8. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blue green alagae (cyanobacteria) and microcystin tox

    Source?

  9. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Citrus Heights "I hate being a flatlander"
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like

    Blue green alagae (cyanobacteria) and microcystin tox

    BLUE GREEN ALAGAE (CYANOBACTERIA) AND MICROCYSTIN TOXIN was found at Wrights Lake. Very bad for dogs especially, humans, and we all know algae of any type smothers trout (any fish ).
    Do not drink or swim, fish DFW planted probably should not eat .
    I wonder has anybody seen this in any other high mountain lakes?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •