Thread: Shasta Info ??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shasta Info ??

Yes, very good point! When I take the Grandkids they keep their PFD's on almost all of the time. That lake drops off into deep water real fast pretty much anywhere you go.

Waterdog has it right with the Bass fishing for the kiddos. There's enough spotted bass to keep them entertained for hours. I'll rig them up with spinning rods (cheap ones, haha) and use Ned Rigs made by Z-man. Bass cannot resist hitting those. Preferably the weedless version for kids or you'll be running back to Phil's Prop for more. Walmart carries them now as well. Sure, I'll take them out trolling for trout occasionally, but 5 minutes in after lines drop "Papa, when are we gonna catch a fish?" Lol.

Oh, also if they're into Catfishing, the Pit arm is the place to be. Find a cove and fish off the back of the houseboat at night.. it's a hoot!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2. Likes Waterdog, Hookum Greg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Amen to the PFD's One of them is only 4 yrs old. Thanks for the 411.

Post Thanks / Like

Mikfish is the resident expert on Shasta but I’ve put in a lot of time fishing it over the last 40 years. I personally don’t fish downriggers on the Pit because the Pit is the one river arm that they never cut down the trees when the dam was built. To easy to snag the riggers on them. The areas I have found success trolling for trout is the Squaw creek arm, the McCloud arm and the main part of the lake from around the mouth of the Pit to the bridge that goes over highway 5. The Sacramento River arm is good for trout but I have spent very little time fishing that arm.
    Tell your sister and bro in law to take the houseboat up the Squaw creek arm, that is the most beautiful river arm of all.

If you just want for the kids to catch fish regardless of size tell them to fish for bass. The lake is loaded with spotted, large mouth and small mouth. Catch them casting bass lures and even lures like kastmasters or rooster tails or spoons. I’m not much of a bass fisherman but 2 years ago I caught limits casting from a resort boat dock. Last year I caught a bunch casting from the back of our houseboat. The kids can also catch various fish morning and evening fishing with a bobber and worm fishing from the houseboat.
    Just a word of caution if they are young kids make sure they wear a pfd just about 24/7. Hope they catch a bunch.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

5. Likes OYD, SteelyMan, Mikfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, i will pass it on. They just arrived at the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been up the Pit arm since Mar/April. But at the time the trout action was great. Many pan size were C&R. Try around Arbuckle flat. Be careful of the submerged stumps (dead trees) very easy to lose a DR ball. Personally I stay away from there when trolling deep. Best to stay in the channel. Lately I've had success out in open water, main body and mouths of arms. 50-60 feet is a good depth to start. It's been hot, so may have to go deeper.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Shasta Info ??

So my Sister and Bro in law are taking their Grandkids for a week on a house Boat , he is taking his fishing boat and looking for some intel on depth and general area for trout. Looking for quantity not quality for the most action for the kids and their 10 minute attention span. I think they spend most of the time in the Pit arm.

Thanks for any info.