Thread: Bolinas 7/14/18

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bolinas 7/14/18

"8'6 MH salmon rod which seemed just about perfect" My go to. Paired with either a Shimano spinning or baitcaster loaded with 20-25 mono or 60ish braid.
    "...until a 100+ ray sucks down the bait that is... " ​Sporty ;)
    Gratitude

2. Likes WhopperStopper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kromebrite View Post
    Sounds like an outstanding sharay trip. Sharks and rays like the slower tides.
    Thanks kb. It was actually your recent post that renewed my interest and inspired me to get out there. I think next time I will try for the last half of outgoing and first half of incoming. I will also try a day with a smaller tide differential . It was difficult to reach the middle of the channel with the gear I brought at high tide. At low tide I was able to overshoot the middle. I have a 12 footer that has been collecting dust for years, but it seems a bit heavy and might not be as fun. My cuz was getting it done with a 8'6 MH salmon rod which seemed just about perfect...until a 100+ ray sucks down the bait that is...

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like an outstanding sharay trip. Sharks and rays like the slower tides.
    Gratitude

Post Thanks / Like

Bolinas 7/14/18

Decided to try something new and relaxing yesterday so I loaded up the truck and headed for Bolinas for a little shark and ray excursion. I have been wanting to try this place for a few years, but never made time for it, but with the near triple digit heat and availability of a friend and some family I figured there was no better time to try.

We went out there with some basic gear and bait including anchovies and squid. I wasn't sure which part of the tides I should be aiming for so I planned to arrive to catch the second half of the incoming and at first half of the ebb. We ended up arriving a bit early and before I could get the second rod in the water, my sister's line was already peeling off the baitrunner. A few brief moments later she had her first mud marlin flapping around on the bank. My cousin followed up quickly after with a nice 40" leopard that he wasn't too impressed with so he released it without a pic. My friend and I also hooked a few small sharks and rays. The action was on fire and I was thinking in my head that I should've brought more bait, but within a matter of about 30mins, the tide really started to pick up and the bite slowed to nothing.

We fought seaweed for awhile during the max incoming, then decided to pull lines out until the tide fizzled out. Lines back in when the top of the tide approached and the bite was back on. We hooked few more small rays and sharks through the slack and very beginning of the ebb, but nothing too impressive. Hunger was starting to set in amongst the group and crabs started plaguing the lines so we packed it up and decided to check out Stinson and do a little grillin and chillin.

Stinson was a mad house! No parking, overcrowded, and windy. I decided to turn back to Bolinas and head towards Bolinas beach for the inlet and what a pleasant surprise it turned out to be. Parking was also very difficult, but the overall environment was much better. We proceeded to set up the chairs and grill and while hanging out watched some really cool things. We watched a fly fisherman hook three stripers in a matter of an hour, one of which seemed to be a hawg that broke him off. We also watched two boats returning from salmon fishing brave the gnarly breakers at the inlet and recover a beach launch. We checked out the surfers doing their thing and just overall enjoyed the scenery and "local wildlife".

All in all it was a great day and a great way to escape the heat. I ended up learning a few things about timing and possible other new opportunities. Until next time....

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk