Post Thanks / Like

Re: My First Bass + Tulloch Tourney Info Request

Cool, thanks again. My Dad lives on the lake so I can launch where he's at - it's a long drive to the other ramp.

I have a friend whose Dad was a tournament angler so I'm hoping he can get his/a boat and give it a try. I think my friend has done some tourneys himself. I'd like to ride with someone who isn't green like me.

I see the boats on Wednesday plowing through the 5 mph zone toward Black Creek. Some of them usually fish our dock and cove a bit too. What a cool thing to have nearby every week!

Post Thanks / Like

If you can get in for free then great. You can launch anywhere you want and even fish all day the day of the tournament. Just be at the South Shore ramp around 5:45 if you want to sign up and make sure your livewell is empty.

Try tossing senkos or a drop shot. The bass were slamming a small shad rap a couple months back but most of the fish were small.

Post Thanks / Like

Great! Thank you for the info, Whoopbass!

I was at Tulloch last night and caught my second LMB, about 2.5 pounds. Same dock and same exact place as the first one. Same time, same bait haha. I even had a cheering section - a boat full of people stopped to watch. Glad I didn't blow it! Lotta fun.

The tournament sounds fun. I don't care if I catch anything as long as I get some experience and keep out of everyone else's way ;) Hoping to get a friend with more experience to take me, maybe ride shotgun.

I can get on the lake free with a boat, unless it's a requirement to launch from there for some reason. Either way it sounds great to me.

Post Thanks / Like

The Tulloch tourney is held every Wednesday night from 6:00-10:00 p.m. It's a team tournament but you can fish alone and its open to anyone. Tony and Amber usually sit at the edge of the parking lot near the cabins on the North side where they collect the entry fee for the tournament. It costs $30 a team and $10 of that goes to big fish. If you fish alone it costs $25 to enter. If its your first time fishing it they charge each person a one time fee of $5 which goes towards paying for subway sandwiches at the last tournament.
    5 fish limit and they need to be alive or you will get penalized.
    Tell them at the entry booth you're here to fish the tournament and they will only charge you $10 to get into the lake.
    It's a fun tournament and sometimes it takes over 20 lbs to win. The last couple the winning weights were around 15 lbs.
    They have a facebook page for the tourney under "Grumpy Ole Men Tulloch Night Series".

Post Thanks / Like

Well I figured out why I had such a problem finding information on the Wednesday night bass Tourney at Tulloch - it's called the "Turkey Shoot". Naturally. I know you can hunt turkey up there - I guess they call that "bass fishing".

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet !!--nothing gets the old heart pumping like a top water bass

good going--go get em
    God grant me the serenity
    to accept the size of the fish I catch,
    The courage not to fib about it,
    and the wisdom to know that
    none will believe me anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

My First Bass + Tulloch Tourney Info Request

I don't know who got hooked harder, me or the fish!

At Tulloch on my Dad's dock near dusk. Was dropping a worm through the heavy grass in 15 feet or so of water, trying to get below the Bluegill. Nada.

As dark approached I switched to a popper. I started playing with that. It was last Wed night and the weekly tourney was underway. A couple tourney guys started casting near me and almost hit my bait, casting within 5 feet of it a few seconds after I cast.

I usually stop for a minute and let these guys cast around me so I can watch what they do and maybe learn, but that was a little stupid of them I thought. Dudes, I'm fishing right here in a very tiny area. I didn't care too much, especially when they struck out as they always do right there.

One minute after they passed, a largemouth shot out of the water and grabbed my popper. Whoa! Started working him and he jumped straight up completely out of the water and jumped one more time. Awesome!

I landed it and man there's no way those guys didn't hear me hootin' and hollerin' - I could hear it echo all over the lake haha. Everybody heard me! I was waaaaay excited! You'd think I'd caught a 12 pounder!

It was maybe 1.5 pounds, and I did get a photo (no vid damn). That was so cool!!! Seen it on Youtube a hundred times and now I get why bass are so sought after. I am definitely hooked now! Up until this it was only Delta stripers.

So now I'm ready for the Tulloch Wed Night tournament. No I'm kidding, but I would like information on it. Does anybody have a link? Is it open to the public? It's something I'd like to do someday soon - maybe as a ride along with a friend who is a better angler.

Are there any other tournaments, even bank fishing, open to the general public? I live in Manteca, but can travel a bit. I found a few lists of tournaments but they don't give info on who runs it or much else.

I would even like some informal stuff - say a group of people (here at FS?) hit a spot and just make a friendly contest between each other. I don't have any friends out here yet to do this with. That would be very fun to me, and easy money for y'all ;)

Does anyone here at the forum ever hold small impromptu "tournaments" with each other? Has anyone done that? That would be good enough for me.

Should I join a club? Any recommendations?

I will never forget that catch. Silent still waters, then WHAM! That fish was not happy, but I certainly was. Lipped him properly and got a clean release. Getting my first bass with a top water made it that much cooler. Wow!!!

I was after bass from that dock for weeks. Finally!!!!!!!

Last edited by schplurg; 07-16-2018 at 03:02 PM.