Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to Sacramento area, any tips?

I grew up in the Sacramento area but didn't start fishing until this year (live in SF now). On a few trips back recently, I've had some luck out near Rancho Seco and at some ponds in Folsom. Last time I was out there the weather was a bit on the cold side though, so the bite wasn't too great.

Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of the bass I was catching at Mather Lake. So much pressure, they would not bother with anything I gave them and I ended up mostly catching them on creature baits in the weeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlman2 View Post
    Those ponds behind Rio Americano used to be very good bass fishing many years ago. I know I am dating myself here....but the 1986 floods pretty much filled them in and I have found them to be poor fishing since then. The one that used to be very good (warmer easternmost one) is now extremely shallow and weedy. I'm not saying there are no bass in there, there are, but not worth the effort IMHO.

The water at William Pond still has many bass, and large ones too. But they are heavily pressured and each decent one has seen every lure made at least 100 times. Without giving everything away, find a way to break the mold there. If you can concoct a way to give the bass a "different" presentation/lure/tactic that they have not seen as much, you can do very well there. But the standard throwing soft plastics/crankbaits/spinnerbaits doesn't work very well. They are sophisticated, educated bass....LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natemeister View Post
    Try the area of the American River right by William Pond. Go west from there, behind Rio Americano High School. There are a lot of spots right there that hold bass.

2018-08-01_0925.jpg
    Those ponds behind Rio Americano used to be very good bass fishing many years ago. I know I am dating myself here....but the 1986 floods pretty much filled them in and I have found them to be poor fishing since then. The one that used to be very good (warmer easternmost one) is now extremely shallow and weedy. I'm not saying there are no bass in there, there are, but not worth the effort IMHO.

The water at William Pond still has many bass, and large ones too. But they are heavily pressured and each decent one has seen every lure made at least 100 times. Without giving everything away, find a way to break the mold there. If you can concoct a way to give the bass a "different" presentation/lure/tactic that they have not seen as much, you can do very well there. But the standard throwing soft plastics/crankbaits/spinnerbaits doesn't work very well. They are sophisticated, educated bass....LOL
    Last edited by Owlman2; 08-01-2018 at 10:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Try the area of the American River right by William Pond. Go west from there, behind Rio Americano High School. There are a lot of spots right there that hold bass.

2018-08-01_0925.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KingKenny04 View Post
    I spent a bit of time googling that area and I'm reading some conflicting stuff. By "Liberty Island Road area" are you talking about the Liberty Island Eco Preserve? The stuff I'm reading says the west side of Shag Slough there is closed to bank fishing, so you have to park there and cross the bridge on foot. But that information is five or six years old, and I've read a couple of articles that claim the bridge is closed off as well. The only more recent stuff I have found is reports from people who reached the area by boat/float tube.

We hit a small slack section of the American at Paradise a few days ago. Nothing, but there also didn't look to be anything in the water for fish to hold on, of course I could be overthinking that. I hit William Pond this morning. There are definitely Bass in that pond but nothing so much as touched the fluke I was throwing. I understand completely what people mean by "fishing pressure". In one particular spot, one individual bass kept swimming up to the bank from out deeper about 10-15 seconds after each cast I made (wasn't targeting him). It was as if he saw the fluke out deep and swam toward the bank to tell me "Really dude? A fluke? That's the best you can do?". I'm gonna hit it again tomorrow morning before work with a Carolina rig. Honestly not expecting to catch anything, just using it to practice techniques I haven't used since San Diego (several years ago).

I'm assuming by "Arden-Arcade area" you mean the stretch of the river from paradise to Ancil Hoffman? Sorry, still learning the area.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats the place. There are a lot of conflicting reports on that area but I was there about a week ago and there was a lot of people fishing on the bank. Most of a decent spots you have to be willing to hike too and expect to get dirty. Just make sure you clean up after yourself and don’t block the road when you park. There’s an old shed and in the Bandan Chevy S 10 there. Let me know if you find it because it’s been there for over 16 years but haven’t hiked the area since we bought the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yearroundfisherman View Post
    If your willing to drive a bit Liberty Island Road area has some decent spots from the bank to throw a crankbait.

I spent a bit of time googling that area and I'm reading some conflicting stuff. By "Liberty Island Road area" are you talking about the Liberty Island Eco Preserve? The stuff I'm reading says the west side of Shag Slough there is closed to bank fishing, so you have to park there and cross the bridge on foot. But that information is five or six years old, and I've read a couple of articles that claim the bridge is closed off as well. The only more recent stuff I have found is reports from people who reached the area by boat/float tube.

Quote Originally Posted by natemeister View Post
    The Arden/Arcade area is great for bass/carp/bluegill/striper/shad/salmon fishing. Just depends on the time of year and where you go. One of my tips for people new to the area is to hop on a bike and ride the bike trail. You can look and see people fishing from the bank and if there are 3+ guys, it's a hotspot, shad during May - early July, Salmon come August - October/November. For example, where you described, William Pond is hot for bluegills and Carp lol. There are bass in there too and a lot of vegetation to fish in. You can walk around the entire pond and fish it. To the side of it is Harrington and that's a good spot for shad/striper/salmon. Further down from there, you can look on google maps and see pockets formed by the river. That area is hot for bass/carp. Be aware that walking in that type of vegetation, you have a high likelihood of running into a rattle snake. They'll run/rattle before you get close enough, but just a warning :)

This is as close to you as you can get. The barbless area starts from the powerlines below Ancil Hoffman golf course.
    We hit a small slack section of the American at Paradise a few days ago. Nothing, but there also didn't look to be anything in the water for fish to hold on, of course I could be overthinking that. I hit William Pond this morning. There are definitely Bass in that pond but nothing so much as touched the fluke I was throwing. I understand completely what people mean by "fishing pressure". In one particular spot, one individual bass kept swimming up to the bank from out deeper about 10-15 seconds after each cast I made (wasn't targeting him). It was as if he saw the fluke out deep and swam toward the bank to tell me "Really dude? A fluke? That's the best you can do?". I'm gonna hit it again tomorrow morning before work with a Carolina rig. Honestly not expecting to catch anything, just using it to practice techniques I haven't used since San Diego (several years ago).

I'm assuming by "Arden-Arcade area" you mean the stretch of the river from paradise to Ancil Hoffman? Sorry, still learning the area.
    Last edited by KingKenny04; 07-25-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grncrestliner View Post
    The problem with naming exact locations that might be good on the internet is those locations will then get way too much pressure from people who read these forums. Most fishermen are not going to give you a specific location. Fishing from the bank is not easy in my opinion.
    I understand. I wasn't expecting anyone to give up specific spots, just wanted a general idea of what areas are worth spending time to learn and what should be skipped i.e. if the North arm of Folsom is worth learning. Without electronics the only way I can learn an area is hydro maps (which only give depth and not any info on what the bottom is like) and Carolina rigs (where I still have to guess: am I bumping a rock? Piece of wood? Hunk of metal someone tossed in the lake?). This obviously takes time and several trips so I didn't want to waste time on areas that just aren't worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

The Arden/Arcade area is great for bass/carp/bluegill/striper/shad/salmon fishing. Just depends on the time of year and where you go. One of my tips for people new to the area is to hop on a bike and ride the bike trail. You can look and see people fishing from the bank and if there are 3+ guys, it's a hotspot, shad during May - early July, Salmon come August - October/November. For example, where you described, William Pond is hot for bluegills and Carp lol. There are bass in there too and a lot of vegetation to fish in. You can walk around the entire pond and fish it. To the side of it is Harrington and that's a good spot for shad/striper/salmon. Further down from there, you can look on google maps and see pockets formed by the river. That area is hot for bass/carp. Be aware that walking in that type of vegetation, you have a high likelihood of running into a rattle snake. They'll run/rattle before you get close enough, but just a warning :)

This is as close to you as you can get. The barbless area starts from the powerlines below Ancil Hoffman golf course.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKenny04 View Post
    Hi all! Wife and I just moved to the Arden-Arcade area of Sacramento. I haven't done any regular Bass fishing since I was in the Marine Corps (San Diego), but there are a TON of waterways a short distance from where we live so I'd like to get back into it. I'm not sure what bodies of water are good and what are a waste of time. I'd especially like to nail some Smallies since there weren't a whole lot in San Diego, but I'm after any kind of Black Bass I can get onto.

Earlier today we went out to the American River around Paradise Beach. The wife wanted to swim/picnic and I went ahead and brought my crankbait rod. Didn't get anything. I was wondering what the stretch of American River from Discovery to the Nimbus Dam is like? I've tried googling this specific stretch of the River, but the only fishing tips I get back are about the North fork above Folsom and the Sacramento River. I'm wondering if there's a reason for that.

I'm also interested in the Sacramento River itself, Natoma, and Folsom, and if there are any other waters nearby I should check out? I'm limited to bank fishing right now, no boat and it'll be awhile before I can convince my wife to let me pick up a float tube. Thanks!

9. Likes KingKenny04 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If your willing to drive a bit Liberty Island Road area has some decent spots from the bank to throw a crankbait.

11. Likes KingKenny04, trippoint liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem with naming exact locations that might be good on the internet is those locations will then get way too much pressure from people who read these forums. Most fishermen are not going to give you a specific location. Fishing from the bank is not easy in my opinion.
    Now with that being said there are some videos out there where guys are having good success on Folsom. Some of the most interesting ones that might help you are ones where guys are throwing senkos into the edge of structure or flooded trees. I have watched videos where guys were Carolina rigging 6" plastic worms and slowly dragging them back over flats. In one video one guy is killing them and his partner never can figure out the "feel" of the bite. Sometimes the bite is tough to feel on soft plastics. If I were you I would try senkos and other soft plastics fished slowly.

You might try posting in the hitch hiker forums and see if you can get a ride in someone's boat to learn some things the locals are doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast