Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the area

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: New to the area

hello, everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to the area

Drop in at Cuttings Wharf in Napa to make it easy. Kennedy park is nice but they charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There are 3 ramps in Napa, I wouldn't bother with the Vallejo ramp, low tide = no water. I don't think anyone mentioned yet, if you are fishing anywhere West of the Carquinez Bridge, it's 1 pole per person from a boat even if you have a 2 pole stamp. East of the Carquinez, you can use 2 per person with 2 rod stamp. In terms of timing, I would get familiar with San Pablo or SF Bay, Spring/Summer = Halibut, Sturgeon, Striper & Sharks, some found WSB also. Salmon are mainly caught outside Golden Gate, Bodega, Half Moon Bay, etc. They are already being caught in the delta. During the Fall, Stripers, Sturgeon and Salmon are the targets in the delta. You can night fish from a boat in the delta and Napa river. I don't think you can in San Pablo or Bay. I grew up in Vallejo right next to the Napa river. Caught lots of big ones. Now I live in Vacaville so I mainly fish the Suisun area in the Fall and Winter, and look for Halibut in the Spring. Check the regs on the Salmon, it varies depending on where you are targeting them, i think :)

BTW, Stripers are pretty much year round fishing in most places. Just time and a little bit of luck.

Good Luck.
    Richard.
    Last edited by NovaCX12; 07-24-2018 at 08:33 PM.

4. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LONO100 View Post
    look into the napa river. ive been fishing it for years and it always produces and it isnt too far from you if you want to target stripes and sturgeon. for salmon in the fall (season opened on the 16th of this month) you will need to make the drive up to the delta. sacramento and SJ rivers are your best bet. ive seen guys in late august on the banks as far west as benicia landing big time salmon of spinners. for bigger water, like othets have said, you have tomales bay right in your backyard. welcome to the bay and good luck!
    Thanks for the info, where would you launch a boat if you were fishing the Napa river?

Post Thanks / Like

look into the napa river. ive been fishing it for years and it always produces and it isnt too far from you if you want to target stripes and sturgeon. for salmon in the fall (season opened on the 16th of this month) you will need to make the drive up to the delta. sacramento and SJ rivers are your best bet. ive seen guys in late august on the banks as far west as benicia landing big time salmon of spinners. for bigger water, like othets have said, you have tomales bay right in your backyard. welcome to the bay and good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Two questions

1. When is the season for strippers on the Petaluma river / San Pablo Bay?

2. When the salmon head to the delta, would I be able to target them in San Pablo bay / Petaluma river?

thabks for all the info guys, I really appreciate you all helping me out!

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Why dont you PM ngt (Eric). He's in Rhonert Park and fishes the area lakes, rivers and bays. Tell him Steve referred you. I think you two would have a great time.

Post Thanks / Like

You can also look at fishing Petaluma River which leads into San Pablo Bay, Napa River. I looked on a map and your about 50 miles or so from Suisun Bay, which would be great destination for fishing stripers, sturgeon, would could also lead you into the Delta, which is also great for stripers, sturgeon, and salmon.

Maybe check out on hiring a guide for a trip. Might be worth it to give you some pointers on where and how to fish in a certain area.
    Sincerely,

Andy "Bub" Simmons

" I Love the smell of Powerbait in the morning"

10. Likes Yearroundfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dudsuperman View Post
    I am mainly interested in stripers, sturgeon, and salmon I should have the gear to catch them by any method but would like to sit and soak baits if that's productive. I will definitely be checking out tomales bay, is that a beach launch or is there an actual dock?
    Both. The boat launch with a dock is at miller park.

Post Thanks / Like

San Pablo Bay has great fishing for Striped Bass and Sturgeon. I believe there are a few ramps near you. The fall run will start soon for stripers, and Salmon are already on their way into the delta.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast