Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tides

Post Thanks / Like

Re: tides

Up in the Sacramento Metro Garcia Bend area my preference is to troll downstream with the outgoing tide.

Post Thanks / Like

The last couple time down in the delta. The grass was not bad after the tide started incoming pretty good You still get a small amount of grass but I can deal with that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    Keeping lines clear can be a major pita!

Is it weeds, witches hair or both flowing through the system right now? Any water hyacinth out there too, or is the spraying controlling that? Asking for a friend

Tonight I kept getting what I call fish tank looking clumps of greenery on my lines. Most of the time it’s witches hair type stuff with black mud mixed in? Anyone else know what I’m talking about? I even increased my dropper length tonight to about 44” to see if that would help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping lines clear can be a major pita!

Is it weeds, witches hair or both flowing through the system right now? Any water hyacinth out there too, or is the spraying controlling that? Asking for a friend

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    I was looking at next weeks tides for Rio Vista and they are very long incoming tides. That is what we want for trolling for stripers But I am not very up on what tide is good for salmon. Most salmon that I have caught have been on incoming and usually trolling up river for some reason. Some guys say troll down river is better because they see it coming at them I just hope for the best when I am out there and try and stay out of the weeds
    This past weekend was really bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    The river has been so dirty that my line loads up with weeds so fast that it has not been enjoyable. So I just troll and hope to catch something lol.
    Ive noticed that too. I’ve recently been trying some cut plugs but they keep getting fouled up or junk will fill the little hole the line goes through. Normal? I switch to spinners and my spreader will catch the junk but the spinner remains clean. Just my unscientific observation over the last week

Post Thanks / Like

The river has been so dirty that my line loads up with weeds so fast that it has not been enjoyable. So I just troll and hope to catch something lol.
    Last edited by Seon; 09-10-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator Yamaha F150

8. Likes jjb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at next weeks tides for Rio Vista and they are very long incoming tides. That is what we want for trolling for stripers But I am not very up on what tide is good for salmon. Most salmon that I have caught have been on incoming and usually trolling up river for some reason. Some guys say troll down river is better because they see it coming at them I just hope for the best when I am out there and try and stay out of the weeds

Post Thanks / Like

I said tough, not impossible.

You have your experience, I have mine. Seems both of us are successful with what we both believe in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    I agree with what Chrome Seeker said. Get out there right before slack tide, fish the entire incoming tide, and go home after the tide has switched to outgoing.

You can, and many people do, catch fish on an outgoing tide. My suggestion, if you fish an outgoing tide, make sure the high and low tide levels are not a huge difference from each other (1st quarter/last quarter). Trying to troll upriver during a big outgoing tide (new/full moon) is tough.

Key concept: know the tides for the area you are fishing and plan accordingly. https://tides4fishing.com/us/california
    Hmmmm I’ve done very well going up river on a full moon outgoing tide. In fact 90% of my fish have come going up river versus down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast