Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guide Recommendations Needed!!! (Klamath, Eel, or Smith)

If you can fish the Southern Oregon Coast as well, The Smith is a great option but it clears quick. The Chetco is close by and another great option with the same guides fishing it. The Eel is a real question mark given the low flow closures, and the fact that it can muddy up quick. I have found that those coastal rivers (eel) tend to fish well November to December. Where the Smith and Chetco tend to be October to December. If you can go father up the Oregon coast to Gold Beach, I know a guide by the name of Chris Young and his son Tim who run a top notch guide service who fish the Elk and Sixes, plus they are friends of mine.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Post Thanks / Like

Lol I was thi king of you 2 days ago wondering what happened to you. It's pretty strange every time I think what happened to dirty530 you post on here last time was 2 years ago. Yea go for the Smith you will not regret its beauty and just might catch something of a life time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=dirty530;1155985]Greetings all,

I am attempting to plan a trip to the Humboldt Redwoods area this November and I would like to book a 1-day salmon charter on either the Klamath River, Eel River, or Smith River. Preferably the closest river with feasible salmon catches.

ANY GUIDE RECOMMENDATIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks in advance,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe the Smith River will be the best bet in that area you are going to in November. I found Andy of Wild Rivers Fishing and Brookings Fishing Charters highly recommended. Good Luck!

Known as California's last wild river, the Smith River is one of the West Coast's top salmon and steelhead streams. It holds the California state record for steelhead, a 27-pounder, and produces many of the biggest salmon outside of Alaska, with fish in the 50- to 60-pound range caught each season. The Smith River record king is a whopping 86 pounds. The Smith is also known for its breathtaking scenery, with towering redwood trees, deep clear pools and steep rock walls. It’s not only California's No. 1 destination for trophy salmon and steelhead, it‘s home to one of the best salmon and steelhead fisheries in the world. The peak season November fishery is the best drift boat action for kings in California. You never know if the next strike will be a 20-pounder, 40-pounder, or one of those giant 50-plus-pound kings that are landed each year.

Andy Martin

The owner of Wild Rivers Fishing and Brookings Fishing Charters, Andy is one of the most sought-after guides on the Oregon Coast. He focuses mainly on the Chetco and Smith rivers, while also spending much of August on the Rogue River Bay in Gold Beach and Septembers on the Coos River. Andy runs an 18-foot ClackaMax drift boat, 26-foot Alumaweld Columbia guide sled, and the 29-foot offshore boat, the Miss Brooke. Andy has been a full-time guides for nearly 15 years.

Last edited by Mark1; 09-13-2018 at 05:48 PM.

4. Likes CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not much on the Klamath in November, look for the Smith. The Eel is very hit and miss.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished with John Klar several years ago on the Klamath. He was a fantastic guide and worked very hard for fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Guide Recommendations Needed!!! (Klamath, Eel, or Smith)

Greetings all,

I am attempting to plan a trip to the Humboldt Redwoods area this November and I would like to book a 1-day salmon charter on either the Klamath River, Eel River, or Smith River. Preferably the closest river with feasible salmon catches.

ANY GUIDE RECOMMENDATIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks in advance,

Dirty530