Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clarksburg 10/13

wow, thanks for that info fellas. i did a little googling to see how common coho were in the sac ricer area but found nothing. i thought it was a smaller to .oderately sized king until i got it close to the boat and it jumped out of the water. i really want to try for salmon again before the month's end but i may just turn my last opportunity of the month to go out into a quick striper trip close to home in the west delta.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
    They are very rare here. I've heard of a few Coho's caught around here and a few Chum/dog salmon caught in the Nimbus basin over the years. It probably gave you a good fight and lots of jumping. I bet that was a lost Coho that was hating swimming the dirtier than normal waters it's used to like its more natural, super clean coastal streams with clean small gravel and plenty of shade and woodsy cover. The eggs need shade and cold 48-51 degree water to hatch. Before 1950, the Sac used to have a small population of Coho. Now the Coho has a small population in the Russian and a much bigger population 28 miles north in the Gualala river all the way to Alaska and Siberia. Historically before all the dams and forest clearing, Coho Salmon were widely distributed and abundant in many coastal watersheds of central and northern California, ranging from the Smith River near the Oregon border to the San Lorenzo River, Santa Cruz County, on the central California coast to Big Sur.
    Not to mention 3-4 different runs of kings coming in year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LONO100 View Post
    I'm 1/2 on salmon trips this year on the river, and landed a Coho which we safely released. Don't know how common it is to hook one, but it's the first I've ever brought to the boat. I hope to get out at least one more time, maybe I will try the Sac-Metro area. My last trip did not produce, although we marked tons and tons of fish, and weeds were not a problem at all, we only got two pull downs the whole morning, none of which stuck good enough to land them.

They are very rare here. I've heard of a few Coho's caught around here and a few Chum/dog salmon caught in the Nimbus basin over the years. It probably gave you a good fight and lots of jumping. I bet that was a lost Coho that was hating swimming the dirtier than normal waters it's used to like its more natural, super clean coastal streams with clean small gravel and plenty of shade and woodsy cover. The eggs need shade and cold 48-51 degree water to hatch. Before 1950, the Sac used to have a small population of Coho. Now the Coho has a small population in the Russian and a much bigger population 28 miles north in the Gualala river all the way to Alaska and Siberia. Historically before all the dams and forest clearing, Coho Salmon were widely distributed and abundant in many coastal watersheds of central and northern California, ranging from the Smith River near the Oregon border to the San Lorenzo River, Santa Cruz County, on the central California coast to Big Sur.
    Last edited by Mark1; Yesterday at 03:18 PM.

4. Likes jjb, LONO100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm 1/2 on salmon trips this year on the river, and landed a Coho which we safely released. Don't know how common it is to hook one, but it's the first I've ever brought to the boat. I hope to get out at least one more time, maybe I will try the Sac-Metro area. My last trip did not produce, although we marked tons and tons of fish, and weeds were not a problem at all, we only got two pull downs the whole morning, none of which stuck good enough to land them.

Post Thanks / Like

Following!this seems like a very interesting thread

Post Thanks / Like

Spare a thought for the wardens trying to do their job.

Then remember these types of conversations when people complain about how complicated the regs are. They're written for most ridiculous of excuses possible, and folks will even come up with ways to circumvent those.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coltsfan87 View Post
    How far south of Clarksburg is the Mok
    Good ways and across the delta cross channel...you'd basically have to pull your boat out and relaunch down at Whimpys and no I wouldn't get caught with 3 fish no matter where you are!!..was just sayin if you limit on the Sac early pull out and run down there and try for a second on the Moke..for those of us that have a long drive to fish it really sucks to catch early and have to turn around and head home...the Moke gives an opportunity to keep fishin

Post Thanks / Like

How far south of Clarksburg is the Mok

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by River Drifter View Post
    Daily bag limit on the Sac 1 fish 2 in possession the 2 in possession is what you can have at home or in transit from the field returning from say a multiple day trip and yes returning to the Sac from the Moke with 2 fish in possession can hold up in court for the fact that you are now on a river where the daily bag limit is one fish per day and you have 2 in the boat doesn't matter where you caught them .
    And no if you pull out or are on the Moke with 3 fish you are 1 over the daily limit for that river again doesn't matter where you caught them .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POPPOP View Post
    Another added thought is can I have three fish on the boat by myself if I take out on the Mok, two from the Mok and one from the Sac? Guess I will have to do some reading. !!
    Daily bag limit on the Sac 1 fish 2 in possession the 2 in possession is what you can have at home or in transit from the field returning from say a multiple day trip and yes returning to the Sac from the Moke with 2 fish in possession can hold up in court for the fact that you are now on a river where the daily bag limit is one fish per day and you have 2 in the boat doesn't matter where you caught them .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast