Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mishmash of Catches

Wow your salmon looks so red! You think the females are chicken like and the males are red? I got a male and it was like chicken lol
    18.5" Larson I/O 4.3L Volvo Penta
    Fishing in The Bay, any NorCal lake or river, or Pyramid Lake NV

Post Thanks / Like

Good job! I have no salmon for the couple of tries this year trolling. Lower river areas. If you find a nice wave of fish moving in again I hope to get in on it.
    Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by radoncraft View Post
    Wow, excellent report as usual. I didn't know those many Salmon were being caught. That Salmon candy sure looked good. Very good information. I usually get incidental Salmon while fishing for stripers every year, but have only got one this year and it broke my line. I'm still striper fishing, and getting my share, but don't post too much because I don't see many other post. I'm kind of thinking maybe others are posting on Facebook or those other Media places. Thanks again DSA for your Salmon reviews.
    I haven't gone for striper since September. My spring was alright but fall has been a total bust. The areas I fish are still super weedy and the water isn't as cold as it was last year. Zero signs of grouped up fish in my areas, so I'll wait until we get some rain or changed conditions. Sunny, windy and dry doesn't sit well with me for striper.

4. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Mishmash of Catches

Wow, excellent report as usual. I didn't know those many Salmon were being caught. That Salmon candy sure looked good. Very good information. I usually get incidental Salmon while fishing for stripers every year, but have only got one this year and it broke my line. I'm still striper fishing, and getting my share, but don't post too much because I don't see many other post. I'm kind of thinking maybe others are posting on Facebook or those other Media places. Thanks again DSA for your Salmon reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, hopefully it isn't over yet. I really want to go back to focusing on the tidal water before the season closes for a chance at some late fall run and winter fish.

Chromeseeker, you have been slaying them this year. You probably have more than anyone else I know aside from Salmonid.

7. Likes Chrome Seeker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a great piece of work, nice season! RAY
    “Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish man, this has been my best season to date by far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Best post I've ever seen on this site, and there have been some great ones! Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

If you've been hitting it locally, you probably have ran into some of these. Cool little guys that go released. Friend lost one around 6# on a cleo one morning.

Lots of good salmon dishes lately.

Salmon and tomato curry is a pretty good one, as is the old standard of cream cheese and crackers.

Attached Images Attached Images

12. Likes TBSP, monkey916, Jimmy_M, Kaban12 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mishmash of Catches

The reports seem to be winding down. Are the fish tapering off, or are people just not getting out or posting on social media as much?

As the title says, this is what I have to show for the season so far. Couple of lost fish here and there. I trolled the lower river during September for zero luck, wasn't until the 8th of October when I started seeing success throwing spinners and dropping jigs onto fish.

First blood of the season off the kayak, a small buck that slapped a 3oz slammer jig in black and blue glitter flake on the strongest end of the outgoing tide when they lay low in the holes. Man is that jig bite addicting. Also the first fish with real power to test my new Shimano Curado K. Loved it while it lasted.

Next fish would be a much better looking "upriver bright" that smashed a slammer spinner as I was at the end of the retrieve against the side of the kayak with hardly any line out. The resulting and short lived "fight" was the single most stressful moments I've had while salmon fishing. My swimbait fishing instincts held true and I kept her head coming toward me on a locked out drag as I was fishing around logjams, one drag run likely would have resulted in losing the fish. That 9' Okuma SST actually had snapped on the upper foot on the hit, likely due to so little line being out, which may have been a factory defect because none of my dobyns or irods have ever done that when a large fish smashes a bait close to the boat or shore. It was honored under warranty and I got a new blem all black and turquoise SST from them. Love those rods, now I'm glad to have a unique one that isn't orange.

Beautiful colors on this hen.

Fillets from the hen. Despite the color, she was kind of further along than expected, still smoked great.

Da ol' multi day brown sugar and sea salt brine.

Smoked up with alder and some black pepper and Montreal steak seasonings.

Also did some spoon meat off the carcasses of those fish and teriyaki brined it all. Stabbed the pieces onto skewers and smoked it low and slow. Salmon candy amazement.

Switched to banking it and was stoked to have three hookups in one morning, lost the smaller two and landed a pretty chrome hen. The new blem SST 9' is a bit stiffer than the usual orange ones, which I enjoy for muscling fish in a bit more.

Mostly grilled this one and gave it to some friends as fillets.

Got into a nice waver of bucks during the second half of October, seemed to be more of them than hens after that full moon. Lucky for me, I was done with gambling on hens with their chicken meat and was going for that orange meat.

Not bad for some local mud salmon.

This fish has tasted the best so far.

For the grill.

The dirty ones started showing up after that, not many bright fish, my friend was punked one morning by a fish that had us all up and down the river. Big chrome buck that didn't want to play nice, shook the hook as he got close to me on the bank, that was a heartbreaker.

I settled for this one one night after nothing but hens were being landed. Brined into salmon pastami, the flesh was nice colored.

Another brawler buck that had me sprinting up the river after he took off on a blistering run and refused to turn. Got him to some calm water and decided to let him swim to do his thing, pass those brute genes along. My Curado K crapped out on me after this fish, the worm gear flat out BROKE on me while fishing. Never have had a reel be so smooth and then just flat out break in the field. Shimano is replacing it for free, but they told me it would be 5 weeks before I see a mailed replacement. Yikes. Can't wait to get it back and see if the new one holds up, or if I should sell it and go for a real Japanese one.

Lost another two last week. I really hope the fish start showing up more as we move towards the second half of November, and hopefully December produces some chrome beasts. I'll keep posting as time goes on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dsa2780; 11-08-2018 at 10:33 PM.