Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What happened to the Fall Run on the AR

Mismanagement. They need to raise & release more fish and also operate the flow regime in a manner more conducive to salmon.

SET THE HOOK!!!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as they keep "fixing" spawning grounds and trucking smolts, this is what you'll get!!!

3. Likes onenate7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg A View Post
    Our beloved american river ain't been looking too hot these last few years. It's definitely getting worse
    I hear ya. It sucks to see it happening. I’m optimistic that this year is a result of drought and poor ocean conditions 3-4 years ago and we might see a rebound in the next 1-2 years. I hope I’m right, but fear I may be wrong. If my math is correct, 2019 and 2020 should be the years those fish that were spawned/released to the rivers after our above average rainfall year (same year ocean conditions improved also), so if we don’t see good numbers in the AR by 2020, it will be time to take the gloves off in the fight to save the fishery. This year was really odd - like nothing I’ve seen in my 25 years fishing the area - easy limits for the ocean guys, decent number of fish for the Feather, Sac and Moke, but very low numbers for the AR.
    Last edited by Nor_Cal_Drifter; 11-27-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

Man I remember a day in 2016 where I conservafively saw 60 fish caught in a 3 hour window. It’s crazy to see it this bad. Endless “fish on coming down!”

I remember going to the American river park with my parents back in the early and mid 2000’s and always remember seeing people walking in with stringers of chromers, hearing the call of gulls and other birds from the parking lot because the carcasses were so thick. River stank well into January. Such a stark contrast. Guess those are distant memories the way the river is managed. 1800CFS was the flow this fall. Guess it went to 2k a few days ago but looks like it staggered back down. Maybe I’ll give it one more go if it rains tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

maybe all the crap that is living along the American river are putting all there garbage and bodily fluids in the river and the fish can taste it and they figure its not worth coming up and go to Other spots with cleaner water??? Just a thought!
    remember Clean water counts for fish and if the American has E coli in it that can make a difference too.

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

"WHere were you fishing?" Bigg A's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    Anyone that thinks this was a normal (or even close to normal) year on the AR simply needs to take a quick trip to the hatchery and take a look across the river. A normal year would have fish stacked in the section from the ladder to the USGS cable and Salmon backs breaking the surface constantly. Was there a few days ago - it’s pretty much void of fish. Good news is the hatchery seems to have enough in the holding ponds to meet their egg quota.
    Our beloved american river ain't been looking too hot these last few years. It's definitely getting worse

"WHere were you fishing?" Bigg A's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    A guide who is contracted by DF&W for fish counts has been taking video of the fish (even hatchery fish) spawning above the gates. Seemed to be a good number of fish up there. Maybe they just blew through fast due to water temps?
    Alot of those fish came thru in august and september. I've never seen the river so slow in october like it was this year

Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monkey916 View Post
    I haven't been up the AR this season... But the Sac seemed slow for me and most IMO...Except a few... Lots of fish milling around the delta and not really being where they are supposed to be... As CS said down on the SJ and I heard about a shiet ton up in Lindsey Slough... Ehh maybe it is where they're supposed to be they follow water flow and the flow on the sac has been crap the last month. Don't get me wrong... A few dudes I know on this forum... Have said it's one of their best seasons ever... They were right place right time... I just never seen the normal 5-7 boats hook up on schools coming thru... Might pick off 2 for 40 boats and done... Season before last if there was 40 boats trolling my area 20+ would hook up... It might be the 1 fish limit also... You can't really dial it in and reproduce what you just did to get a good pattern or speed unless you C and R... I dunno...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    One thing I learned years ago is there is no such thing as “where they are supposed to be” when it comes to the ever changing Delta and river system. About 10 years ago, while October trolling for striper in a slough near 8 Mile Road in Stockton I hooked into a 12-15lb King just outside one of the local marinas. When I was talking to a couple locals that afternoon they were telling me that back in the 70s they used to have a thriving run through there. One of the old timers who’s a liveaboard at the marina had an old picture showing boats anchored up across the slough just below the first bridge (old bridge) on 8 Mile Road salmon fishing. You could almost walk across the slough on top of them. Much like Isleton used to be for the opener every year. Many here probably remember the launch at Vieras being lined up on opening day and being lucky to get in the water and have a parking spot in the lot. The river was always packed from shore to shore with boats hoping to get those early fish. Silvertrons, Blu Fox and Wiggle Warts were the hot lures and guys would troll from the mouth up to the first couple docks at Long Island, unless the bite was hot, then they’d go up to the bridge.

Changes in so many different conditions, (ie flows, temps, sediments, and things we probably don’t understand) push these fish in new directions and change what we expect to be normal behavior patterns. I do agree with your assessment regarding the single fish limit though. You don’t get a chance to get dialed in and we also do see the pictures with larger numbers of fish so people associate that with less fish in the system. While I haven’t been on the AR this year to know specifically about it, I do know a LOT less people were showing off their pics and their clients catches this year.....especially on the Feather. And that wasn’t necessarily because they weren’t catching fish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Likes wapiti2005, monkey916 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been up the AR this season... But the Sac seemed slow for me and most IMO...Except a few... Lots of fish milling around the delta and not really being where they are supposed to be... As CS said down on the SJ and I heard about a shiet ton up in Lindsey Slough... Ehh maybe it is where they're supposed to be they follow water flow and the flow on the sac has been crap the last month. Don't get me wrong... A few dudes I know on this forum... Have said it's one of their best seasons ever... They were right place right time... I just never seen the normal 5-7 boats hook up on schools coming thru... Might pick off 2 for 40 boats and done... Season before last if there was 40 boats trolling my area 20+ would hook up... It might be the 1 fish limit also... You can't really dial it in and reproduce what you just did to get a good pattern or speed unless you C and R... I dunno...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by monkey916; 11-24-2018 at 09:20 PM.
    " Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it ". - Norman Maclean.

12. Likes Spartan, wapiti2005 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What happened to the Fall Run on the AR

Maybe all the fish in San Joaquin County are AR fish. There are salmon from Lodi-Oakdale and everywhere in between. Thousands, more than the last few years...maybe they’re Moke fish...who knows but they are everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast