Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lyons Reservoir Hwy 108?

My experience with the lake, in the mid 80's it was quite a nice setting. I believe PG&E had a consessioner in there, there was a dock and about 10 aluminum boats for rental, electric powered only, I think it was about 20 bucks a day. Then there were several comogrounds you could spend the night near the water. Then the people downstream suddenly got the idea they didn't like people pissing in their drinking water. So the boat rental guy didn't get his lease renewed, and they completely closed the lake to everyone, hence the new gate was installed & closed all the time. Then after a few years of public pressure & negoiations the gate opened & people were allowed back in, but no contact with the water allowed, and the trout stocking stopped, so of course the fishing went down the tubes. My last visit there 2 yrs ago there was a person hired by "outdoor America" or something like that, to make sure nobody went swimming, or their dog took a swim in the lake. There were a few people having a picnic out of their cars, and a couple people fishing off the dam, but didn't see anyone doing any catching. So it's a nice stop (abt 1.5 miles to the lake on dirt road) to stretch the legs, but good fishing is a thing of the past, just like most other lakes in California.

2. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea I'd pass on Lyons..better to spend your time somewhere else...good place to take a walk or bike ride but not so much for fishing..Beardsley, Cherry, Relief, or Pinecrest if your in Tuol co and need to be surrounded by Pine trees..Melonies had a decent Trout bite from shore on the Angels side last year..

4. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Owlman2 View Post
    That is a pretty remote area. I was in there years ago for other reasons, and have always wondered if that lake would be good fishing. The harder the access, the better the fishing.
    It's sucked for the last couple years, before that it was a good place to get truck trout and the occasional holdover. My biggest trout from there was just over 3. No body or dog contact with the water and lack of plants the last few years, making it slow fishing, has caused me to fish other lakes.

6. Likes dilbeck, RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a pretty remote area. I was in there years ago for other reasons, and have always wondered if that lake would be good fishing. The harder the access, the better the fishing.

8. Likes dilbeck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gates closed..drove by last weekend..you can get to the back side of the lake with a 4WD if you know the roads

10. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Years ago my dad and I would drive to the backside of Lyons Lake. I don’t know what roads we took to get there but we were right along the lake at one point.

12. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I found the answer. It says closed Nov 1 but a few years ago I was there later than that.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/stan...a/?recid=79963

14. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lyons Reservoir Hwy 108?

Anyone know how Lyons Res is doing off Hwy 108? Or if the road is even open. I thought they left it open until weather shut it down for the winter. Might of happened now with the rain but hoping someone has some intel. I know that can be a great lake to fish late fall early winter if you can get there.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,