Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scent on Lures

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scent on Lures

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    I think there is a little of that in all of us. You never know even if you know, it's what you don't know which is not known......Jetspray
    Love the Philosophy.

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

2. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Scent on Lures

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    You did say CRAZY Right?? Thats Either Crazy stupid or Just Crazy Good!!!!. But Crazy for sure!
    I think there is a little of that in all of us. You never know even if you know, it's what you don't know which is not known......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twack View Post
    A friend of mine had a crazy uncle that lived in a van down by the river. He always fished with two rods and the same type and color of lure on each rod. He'd scent his lures by licking one and peeing on the other. Unfortunately he also drank a lot of beer. As the day wore on, he'd get buzzed and forget which one ....

Well, you can guess the rest. :-)
    You did say CRAZY Right?? Thats Either Crazy stupid or Just Crazy Good!!!!. But Crazy for sure!

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

5. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine had a crazy uncle that lived in a van down by the river. He always fished with two rods and the same type and color of lure on each rod. He'd scent his lures by licking one and peeing on the other. Unfortunately he also drank a lot of beer. As the day wore on, he'd get buzzed and forget which one ....

Well, you can guess the rest. :-)

7. Likes Jetspray, redneckpunk, Waterdog, CDK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Scent on Lures

Look fellas they don't have to be large and you don't put it on your bait.....Jetspray

https://www.anglerwesttv.com/oregont...ntchamber.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIWjr_MGrcs
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MtnFisher View Post
    Thinking one could trim and glue a small strip of a kitchen sponge (new) to a trout plug and soak it with scent. The sponge piece would have to be small so as not to impede the lure's action.

Anyone try this?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Yes. I don’t as much do it on smaller trout lures but I do on some and also on my larger striper lures. I use two ways. Sometimes I take a tiny piece of velcro that has adhesive on the back. Doesn’t matter if it’s the hook side or other side. The adhesive doesn’t break down in the water. Cut a tiny piece , stick it on the back of the lure and put a little scent on it. When done at the end of the day you can peel it off and replace it next time.
    Another way is to tie a little piece or two of yarn on to the back hook and put scent on the yarn. I use red, yellow and or purple. I think it acts like an attractant in addition to the scent. It’s kind of like a worm trailer or a hula skirt. You can use 3 or 4 pieces of yarn if you like.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 12-05-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

10. Likes MtnFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Owlman said, if you believe adding scent works, you're right. If you believe adding scent doesn't work, you're right.

I'll add a different perspective than what's been said. For me, I am more concerned about possibly putting an offensive scent on my lures than masking it with a liquid, gel or wax. Gasoline, oil, grease, sunscreen, tobacco, etc, are scents that I believe can turn fish off if on a lure. That's why I always try and make sure my hands are clean before touching my lures. Yes, I have tried scents and found no difference in success. All it did was leave my lures and boat greasy, prompting a wash with Dawn soap.

Also, since a lure creates a reaction response by fish, I believe a fishes vision and lateral line (vibration) play a bigger role in provoking that response to the lure than scent.

12. Likes Spinner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking one could trim and glue a small strip of a kitchen sponge (new) to a trout plug and soak it with scent. The sponge piece would have to be small so as not to impede the lure's action.

Anyone try this?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

14. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Owlman2 View Post
    Do whatever gives you confidence. If you are confident, you will pay more attention, and you will fish longer. Thus, you are more likely to succeed.

But does scenting a lure actually increase the number of strikes, all else being equal? Who knows? No one has any hard evidence, just the superstitious, anecdotal type of "proof" that fishermen live and die by, mixed in with a lot of sketchy marketing claims by assorted retailers.

I will say this: I seriously doubt that scenting a lure does any harm....other than the cost of what you spent on the scent product.
    Excellent summation. Couldn't agree more.

Post Thanks / Like

Difference with catfish is that their whole bodies are covered with smell receptors, kind of an unfair choice. Most of them mash their food with strong jaws too......Jetspray

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast