Post Thanks / Like

Re: I have a question about getting a hand-held VHF radio.

Burninfuel ,CDK and LineStreacherI was very tempted to go with the radio on Amazon. I likedthe double frequency UHF / VHF the part that I am afraid of, if the radio getswet will they still work. I did buy a radio tonight and so far I like it. I bought a Cobra brand. One reason I choosethe Cobra, it has the burp feature and it floats.Thank you again!! fishfinder

2. Likes CDK liked this post
    aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
    Hi All,
    I have a question about getting a hand-held VHFradio. I live in Lodi, I have a small 13’ Gregor boat and fish mainly the locallakes and the Delta around Rio Vista. I have been reading up on using a VHFradio and there are so many restrictions. Is it really worth having one in the small area I fish?
    Absolutely, they are an important safety item. Yes there are restrictions but they are simple. Channel 9 and 16 are calling channels. In other words, if you wish to talk to the coast guard or emergency services, you call them on either 9 or 16. They may switch you to another channel after your establish comms. In some area's these channels are used for short ship to ship comms.

Channel 68 and 69 are for pleasure boat use with 69 being a popular channel for fisherman to communicate on while on the water. The remaining channels are for commercial use such as shipping, port services, etc. You should know what they are and when to use them if you are going to be in an area where that type of activity exists.

Your hand held radio has a max range of 20 miles but due to it's short antenna, don't count on anything more than 5 and often less depending on the surroundings. I should add that you do not need an FCC license but you can get one if you want.
    Last edited by LineStretcher; 01-22-2019 at 06:43 PM.

4. Likes Yearroundfisherman, Fishfinder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a happy camper with mine when my motor quit on Steam boat.
    frui vita et piscium captura
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

6. Likes Fishfinder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

hand held in Amazon, check them out.
    they can be programmed if you know the band #####s in 2 minutes.
    I have them for pit crews for offroad. about $35 each.
    cheaper when found in pairs with charges and earbuds.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077D488P9...d_i=B077D488P9

here is the deal
    https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-Upgra...tronics&sr=1-3
    Last edited by burninfuel; 01-22-2019 at 03:36 PM. Reason: More

8. Likes Fishfinder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a question about getting a hand-held VHF radio.

Hi All,
    I have a question about getting a hand-held VHFradio. I live in Lodi, I have a small 13 Gregor boat and fish mainly the locallakes and the Delta around Rio Vista. I have been reading up on using a VHFradio and there are so many restrictions. Is it really worth having one in the small area I fish?