Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Respecting Personal Water Space

    Hello Fellow Fisherman,

    I just wanted to get your thoughts on this issue. What is a respectable amount of distance a boat should give another boat when fishing? Whenever I look for a spot to anchor down or fish, I always give the other boat at least 50-100 yards in case you get a big fish you don't want tangled into the anchor line. I've been fishing for a very long time and never had any issue until last weekend fishing the Delta. A guide boat Soo Hoo Sportfishing came drifting down my lane as I was anchored up bait fishing. He came withing 30 ft of my boat while drifting minnows and picked up a shaker fish right next to us. There were no other boats in the area. I told him he was a little too close, but he just ignored me. I think even his clients were thinking he was getting a little too close, but I guess people do desperate things when they aren't catching fish. Anyways, what do you think? What is a respectable distance to give each other?

    Thank you,

    Kashie

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Respecting Personal Water Space

    I wouldn't take offense to that situation, but I wasn't there, so I may not be getting the whole picture. I prefer to think of fishermen as a fraternity of like minded folks and give the benefit of the doubt. It only takes a couple of folks to say come join the party, vs. get off my lawn to make friends on the water. Then again, I've taken offense to certain things too. I covet my days on the water and seems they tend to be more enjoyable when I focus on the good stuff.

    Just food for thought.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Respecting Personal Water Space

    depends on if your fishing structure, width of channel or just drifting/trolling. Could be 100 yards or 10 ft. For this case sounded too close thou.
    Fish on!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Respecting Personal Water Space

    Quote Originally Posted by kashie View Post
    Hello Fellow Fisherman,

    I just wanted to get your thoughts on this issue. What is a respectable amount of distance a boat should give another boat when fishing? Whenever I look for a spot to anchor down or fish, I always give the other boat at least 50-100 yards in case you get a big fish you don't want tangled into the anchor line. I've been fishing for a very long time and never had any issue until last weekend fishing the Delta. A guide boat Soo Hoo Sportfishing came drifting down my lane as I was anchored up bait fishing. He came withing 30 ft of my boat while drifting minnows and picked up a shaker fish right next to us. There were no other boats in the area. I told him he was a little too close, but he just ignored me. I think even his clients were thinking he was getting a little too close, but I guess people do desperate things when they aren't catching fish. Anyways, what do you think? What is a respectable distance to give each other?

    Thank you,

    Kashie
    My problem was the guy saw me raise my hand then came speeding up then stopped and had an attitude about something , guilty by stupidity ? He say me rasie my hand. I could be Italian and talk that way. then gave me the finger . twice when we seen him and the other people waved.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Respecting Personal Water Space

    Quote Originally Posted by Seebass View Post
    My problem was the guy saw me raise my hand then came speeding up then stopped and had an attitude about something , guilty by stupidity ? He say me rasie my hand. I could be Italian and talk that way. then gave me the finger . twice when we seen him and the other people waved.
    Oh no! Hope you're not saying I put up my middle finger! I was raised better then that. I may have not been perfect growing up, but as a father I teach my young kids to be respectful and lead by example.

  6. Likes Katch, AnglingWes, Waterdog liked this post
    Dislikes zipperman disliked this post
  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    SF East Bay
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Respecting Personal Water Space

    Quote Originally Posted by rouge View Post
    Oh no! Hope you're not saying I put up my middle finger! I was raised better then that. I may have not been perfect growing up, but as a father I teach my young kids to be respectful and lead by example.
    I think you can breath a sigh of relief. Seebass is referring to a different incident that happened on the Feather River. See his "bozo" post under the general freshwater forum.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,050
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Respecting Personal Water Space

    On anchor, up stream100 plus yards,downstream 200 plus yards.
    Fisher of men first, fisher of fish second.

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Respecting Personal Water Space

    So this all happened around 10:30 am. I was anchored up on a spot catching a few fish. I saw this guy above me, maybe 200 yards didn't think anything of it. On the SJ side about 5 miles wide, no other boats fishing the area. My buddy was hooked up on another fish and this guy comes drifting down right beside us with his trolling motor down. He then continued to drift to the side and eventually right below us about 50 ft. If it was some guy that was an obvious novice to fishing, wouldn't think anything of it. He is a professional fisherman and supposedly knows the proper etiquette of fishing? Maybe I am overreacting, but when I go fishing, especially on a boat I try to stay away from the crowds and find my own fish. I would expect others to do the same. If this was on bank, again wouldn't think anything of it. Just my thoughts.

    I just wanted to hear everyone else's thoughts on a distance? Is it 20 ft, 50 yds, 100 yds? I know sturgeon fishing I give others even more room because I would hate someone to lose a fish of a lifetime because they get tied up on the anchor rope.

    This is obviously an unsaid rule and very subjective, just wanted to hear other opinions there is no right or wrong.

    Thanks!

  10. #9
    Senior Member crawdaddundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Fair Oaks Ca.
    Posts
    451
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Respecting Personal Water Space

    Quote Originally Posted by kashie View Post
    Hello Fellow Fisherman,

    I just wanted to get your thoughts on this issue. What is a respectable amount of distance a boat should give another boat when fishing? Whenever I look for a spot to anchor down or fish, I always give the other boat at least 50-100 yards in case you get a big fish you don't want tangled into the anchor line. I've been fishing for a very long time and never had any issue until last weekend fishing the Delta. A guide boat Soo Hoo Sportfishing came drifting down my lane as I was anchored up bait fishing. He came withing 30 ft of my boat while drifting minnows and picked up a shaker fish right next to us. There were no other boats in the area. I told him he was a little too close, but he just ignored me. I think even his clients were thinking he was getting a little too close, but I guess people do desperate things when they aren't catching fish. Anyways, what do you think? What is a respectable distance to give each other?

    Thank you,

    Kashie
    First I'd like to know what did it hurt to have him drift passed you? He was only semi close for a few seconds and no need to get griped up about it. Many times i'll be repeatedly drifting one particular spot and some bozo will come drop anchor right in the middle of the drift. Well so much for that spot and then I'll drift by the guy and he gets all upset. Most of the time I chalk it up to sheer stupidity and move on. Don't care to get pissed off while fishing. I'm out there to have a good day. I say suck it up and try to relax and enjoy yourself and don't try to make rules of etiquette as you go along. The only rule there is out there is no rules and if you can't get use to bozos then stay home and do some gardening.

  11. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Respecting Personal Water Space

    I think sometimes people get de-sensitized to the fishing "bubble". Guides often fish everything from open waters to crammed pack waters. I imagine he was doing what he was comfortable with and didn't realize it was pretty rude in that particular situation. We all have our own annoyances. I particularly hate it when boaters take prime launching dock space to wait for customers or eat lunch or just leave their empty boat tied up there for 45 minutes. To each their own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •