Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Damn Prop Fell Off. PSA

Quote Originally Posted by pointemdown View Post
    Find the correct size and put a nylock nut on it with the tab washer.
    Mercury OEM uses a lock nut. But even that, at those RPMs, if not properly seated in the tab washer it could back off. Always a good idea to do a quick visual inspection when u strapping and unlocking your motor to be certain it hasn’t been tampered with or somehow backed out. Takes about 2 seconds to look and notice an issue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Very unlikely. Unless they really just wanted to steal the 16mm nut and not the prop. Does not make sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBoardfox View Post
    Well here is the story. Bought a new boat (new to me) very excited about my 4 stroke outboard with almost zero hours on it. Take it out twice everything running well very happy with my new little bass boat. The third time out I am on a nice striper bite and boat about 5 fish quick. Need to reset my drift, fire it up give it some gas run to new spot and slow down, put it back in gear and nothing. Engine revs but not going anywhere. First thought is I broke a cable that engages the drive mechanism. Well I am close enough to home I can power back on the trolling motor. Get it on the trailer, go to put the engine up and wtf no prop. How does this even happen. Well the long of the short is do not trust the guy before you. The prop must have been installed incorrectly and I paid the price. The PSA check your prop make sure it has a locking washer and is installed correctly. Especially if you were not the one to install the prop that is on your boat.
    DB

Maybe someone was going to take your prop and go home with it????

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: The Damn Prop Fell Off. PSA

Quote Originally Posted by pointemdown View Post
    Would that affect the torque values for the prop attachment? Those newer systems have different things attached......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: The Damn Prop Fell Off. PSA

Quote Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
    Not swimming with the anchor -- always good advice. Haha

Your know, at least I understood how the shear pin worked and they were cheap. I don't understand this new rubber hub thing in the prop. At least I knew how to replace a shear pin.
    More parts = more cost, it is what boating is all about. I used to carry a wrench and extra shear pins in my tackle box just for that, and an extra pull rope in case one broke...….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

8. Likes Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    Kind of like the older boats with shear pins on the prop shaft. All I know is my dad told me if I fall overboard not to hold onto the anchor while I try swimming to the boat...….Jetspray

Not swimming with the anchor -- always good advice. Haha

Your know, at least I understood how the shear pin worked and they were cheap. I don't understand this new rubber hub thing in the prop. At least I knew how to replace a shear pin.

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: The Damn Prop Fell Off. PSA

Quote Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
    Holy cow. I'm really sorry to hear this. I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry.

I'm definitely going to check the cotter pin on my prop after reading this.
    Kind of like the older boats with shear pins on the prop shaft. All I know is my dad told me if I fall overboard not to hold onto the anchor while I try swimming to the boat...….Jetspray

12. Likes Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy cow. I'm really sorry to hear this. I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry.

I'm definitely going to check the cotter pin on my prop after reading this.

14. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That sucks. Been boating for 50 years and never had a prop come off. I’ve destroyed a few hitting various things though. I actually like the the tabs you bend on Merc’s. They are foolproof.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 09-24-2019 at 03:24 PM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

16. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast