Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flaming Gorge June

There are many west coasters that make the trip annually to the Gorge. Once you hit Salt Lake City there is another route one can take if you don't want to travel I-80 thru SLC into Park City. This section of I-80 gets hectic with traffic and going thru a mountain pass just outside of Park City. There is another canyon pass east of Park City. When you enter SLC take the first Ogden exit onto I-215N which is also known as the belt route. You can either continue north on I-215 to junction into I-15N or a
    pprox 8mi north after entering I-215N you will come to the entrance onto the Legacy Parkway going north.
    This runs parallel to I-15N for about 10mi staying out of the rubberneck lanes of I-15 before ending. Either way you will see signs directing you to I-84 out of south Ogden. Take I-84E to Cheyenne, WY and continue for another 30mi to the junction of I-80 putting you back on I-80E to Cheyenne. I'm a month away from making my first trip of the season for my annual spring kokanee catch.
    2000 SuperDuty F250 Diesel
    2007 Columbia Fisherman 2018XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 Kicker Raymarine Element HV9 4 Electric Walker Downriggers

2. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a long tow, at least from Pleasanton where I live. I-80 is easy tow, 80mph speed limit. We usually stop at winnimucca for dinner at Martins Hotel, great Basque restaurant, nice RV park there. Or Elko for the Star for dinner. See where our priorities lay. Then via Salt Lake City to Lucerne Campground at Flaming Gorge. We tried Buckboard, but was for sale and looks like a slum. Lucerne has both electric and non electric campsites. Federal. You will be AIS (invasive species) inspected entering Wyoming. They will even wash down the parts if needed. Evanston was we entered. Bought the AIS sticker at Walmart in Evanston, and a 5 day license. Used to be able to get a sticker for about $10 that allowed fishing FG with a Utah license. Not available for Non Resident Utah license at least last year. I buy a Utah license as cheaper and spend more time there. Yearly is 2x a 7 day. Lot cheaper than California. Also need a Utah AIS sticker for boat. I also have Hobie kayaks and I do not think they require stickers. As to the tow, if you live in Tahoe, the mountains are no problem. Utah I-80 is also an 80 mph road, but last year I did about 65 with the cab over camper and the boat as the cross winds were nasty. I did a day float of the Green River A section, below dam, and had a great day. Was about $225 I think. Hard to get a float somewhat as the guides are mostly booked. I got a trip as a group of 4 had one of the party bashed into in a parking lot by some guy on a,cellphone. He had to fly home. I booked though the store and RV park in Dutch John. Left him nay name a number and the guy there found the opening. Probably landed 25 trout in the float. Fly rod, but mostly toss out and let the flys on droppers drag along. Not any false cast required.

4. Likes Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone from the Lake Tahoe area do the trek to FG? If so, hows the drive/tow? TIA

6. Likes Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Flaming Gorge is one of my many playgrounds and a best since I'm only 3hrs from there. It yields some of the finest kokanee fishing and lake trout, limits have changed along with possession limits. June & July is a excellent time to go for some excellent quality size kokes but sometimes the weather can be unpredictable. Afternoon thunderstorms frequent the area but I have seen it both ways between foul weather & beautiful. Wind is always an issue there which Wyoming seems to share those conditions. Don't let this deter your plans chances are more favorable for nice weather.
    2000 SuperDuty F250 Diesel
    2007 Columbia Fisherman 2018XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 Kicker Raymarine Element HV9 4 Electric Walker Downriggers

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Ray I should have been more specific. Its in North west WA.
    I use to make the run up there in 1 day From Grass Valley but a brutal drive when towing but the kokes made
    it worth it.
    Mark

http://www.northwestfishingreports.c...eportList/7180

Post Thanks / Like

last year was the first time in the last four we didn't go to FG in mid-June, we were moving from CA to AZ and had to cancel our annual trip. I always stay at Buckboard in mid-June when there's no moon, we've always slaughtered the kokes. Already booked for FG again this year, got my favorite spot at the CG and one right next to me for a friend. I'll have to check out this Roosevelt Lake in Utah, I know the Roosevelt Lake here in AZ is a bass place. RAY
    “Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”

Post Thanks / Like

I will put that on the list for a North Wet trip. This year, we will sort of do what we were going to do last year. Last year we were going to tour the Utah parks and throw in some fishing. Start at the South after visiting the grandkids and Birthdays in Los Angeles. Ended up timing did not work out, so just went to FG. Other thought was Puget Sound shrimping, and Vancouver Island. Have not been there for a few years. But seeing the screwed up Washington fishing regs and not really knowing the salmon situation, going to do the Utah route. We have lots of Kokes here, just not huge ones.

Post Thanks / Like

If the Gorge is off the list for the yr think about Lake Roosevelt in June.
    Usually nice weather and the Kokes may be in the 3-5lb size this yr plus some good trout action.
    A long back track to Utah but just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Flaming Gorge June

Last year we went to Flamingo Gorge early June. No Kokanee. Only saw one guide with a few. Really bad weather. Stayed in the camper one day, as it rained, hailed, snowed by Lucerne Campground. Did OK on Pup Mackinaw. Great float on the Green River A section. My question is the weather and fishing early June normally that bad? Was planning a Portugal trip, May/June but decided against that with the virus issue. Wife says FG and Utah National Park trip maybe. Late June better, or is early normally good? Will end up fishing Lake Powell and Mead at end of trip.