Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time trolling - spinning reel?

Quote Originally Posted by Grncrestliner View Post
    I prefer baitcasters and use them 90% of the time. I keep 2 spinning set ups in my boat for people who don't like baitcasters. My wife as well as a couple of fishing buddies just are not comfortable using a baitcaster so they can use whatever they want to in my boat. Spinning works fine, you just need to deal with a little line twist but the newer spinning reels have much better drags than the older ones where a lot of guys back reeled on larger fish. You don't really need to do that any longer. When letting line out with the spinning reel I just keep one finger lightly on the line and let the lure slowly pull it off. You don't really need to make a cast when trolling.
    Personally I use a 5500 most of the time.
    Way bigger than what I use.

I'll use a Daiwa 2600C for salmon, on a seven-foot Daiwa spinning rod. The reel is a vintage model, built like a tank. Smooth as butter AND (this is important to me), clicks when I reel it. I like what I'm used to. I'm used to Daiwa spinning reels and those are the only reels I own. Everyone is saying "each to their own," yet you're trying to convince me of the reason people use bait casters is because they're easier to troll, and they are, for someone who's not me.

Even our hero mostly uses bait casters. But then again, his idea of an ultralight rod is seven feet long and has a base (where it goes into the handle) that looks like my salmon rod. Better him than me. He just wants to drag them in. I want a fight.

Finally, I'm too old to be buying expensive gear. A decent bait caster is LOT more money than my vintage Daiwas. Like I told a musician friend of mine, "I need more guitars like a trout needs a treble hook." Same thing for fishing gear.

Don't have much but I have what I want and it works for me.
    Last edited by BrotherWilliams; 01-04-2020 at 03:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    Dude - no one is saying you’re wrong. Go back and re-read your earlier post (#28). You asked “what makes you say that?” when I said baitcasters are more user friendly than spinning reels for trolling. We were just responding to your question. Use whatever makes you happy!

p.s. - what does #dsabfec mean? I’m too old these days to be up on all the hip lingo. :-)
    Go back and re-read. The other guy said I'm wrong.

I can't tell you what my hashtag means, I can't write it on this board. It's not pleasant. Tell me I'm wrong, especially on something this subjective, and you will piss me right off. Say it another way or expect a hassle. I'm too old to have anyone tell me I'm wrong. It's one thing to disagree and that's ok, but keep the word "wrong" out of it if you don't want to fight.
    Last edited by BrotherWilliams; 01-04-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    Dude - no one is saying you’re wrong. Go back and re-read your earlier post (#28). You asked “what makes you say that?” when I said baitcasters are more user friendly than spinning reels for trolling. We were just responding to your question. Use whatever makes you happy!

p.s. - what does #dsabfec mean? I’m too old these days to be up on all the hip lingo. :-)
    I can't express it on this board. If you think about it, you'll figure it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    I was poking good natured fun, or at least trying to.

There was a bit of truth to it though. The reason a lot of folks use conventional reels is because they’re easier to control letting out line while the reel is disengaged, not because it’s easier to push a button than flip a bail. With a small amount of practice putting your thumb on the spool before disengaging the reel and some spool tension adjustments, avoiding backlashes is almost fool proof. Guides teach first timers to do it in 10 minutes, my 5 year old can do it, and nothing I can offer will help the rest of the folks.

With that said, most of the rest of the post was geared towards do as you please. Duct tape a spinning reel onto an Barbie pole, flip it upside down and reel backwards if it makes you happy. If you can get your lure in front of the fish, they won’t care what kind of setup you’re using either.

This thread started about advice, not a dictation of how anything has to be done. Hope to see you on the river, and if anybody catches a salmon on a Barbie pole, I want half credit.
    I'm not a lot of folks. I do things my way, always, unless my own observation demonstrates to me there's a better way. I may ask the advice of others on occasion, but if the advice doesn't square with my perception, or is just ridiculous, I pay it no mind. I have yet to see anyone with a bait caster do something I can't, and if all that weren't enough, I think bait-casters are fugly. I don't like looking at them. Most are right hand retrieve, another non-starter for me. Line counters? Please. Lazy crap for lazy people.

Just doing it the regular spinning-rig way. Not worried about how much line I'm letting out, I've been using spinning reels of varying size since I was a kid (60 years, 65 now), and I can eyeball how much line is out, by looking at how much is left on the reel. Works the same if you spool your reels with appropriately-sized line; Four-pound on the UL, 10 or 12 pound on the intermediate rods and 20 pound on the big boys. People are so asleep and lazy. If you know what you're doing, you can work a spinning reel and know within about three feet, how much line you have out. You just have to pay attention. Something most Americans aren't very good at.
    Last edited by BrotherWilliams; 01-04-2020 at 04:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherWilliams View Post
    Yet, here you are, saying I'm wrong. #dsabfec
    I was poking good natured fun, or at least trying to.

There was a bit of truth to it though. The reason a lot of folks use conventional reels is because they’re easier to control letting out line while the reel is disengaged, not because it’s easier to push a button than flip a bail. With a small amount of practice putting your thumb on the spool before disengaging the reel and some spool tension adjustments, avoiding backlashes is almost fool proof. Guides teach first timers to do it in 10 minutes, my 5 year old can do it, and nothing I can offer will help the rest of the folks.

With that said, most of the rest of the post was geared towards do as you please. Duct tape a spinning reel onto an Barbie pole, flip it upside down and reel backwards if it makes you happy. If you can get your lure in front of the fish, they won’t care what kind of setup you’re using either.

This thread started about advice, not a dictation of how anything has to be done. Hope to see you on the river, and if anybody catches a salmon on a Barbie pole, I want half credit.

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling is about repeatability. That’s why you see guides with all the same rods, reels and same size line....they need to repeat their success over and over again. Trolling can be very specific on line outs, so that’s why most, if not all guides, use baitcasters over spinning reels while trolling for salmon.

Example: you want to troll 75’ behind the boat. You can let line out and thumb the line on a baitcaster while counting 10 bars on a Abu 5500, 7.5 bars on a Abu 6500 or watch the linecounter till it hits 75. For other non-disengaging baitcasters, a tape measure and a little experimentation in the backyard can have one figure out the line out per bar (when the level wind goes across) for that reel. Pretty simple and easily repeatable for beginners to pros.

Yes, you could do “pulls” on a spinning reel. 2’ off each pull=37.5 pulls for 75’. But what if 20 of those pulls are only 20”. You are now at 68’ instead of 75’. Just seems like a lot of math and memory needed for repeatability when an easier option is available. But if you are a genius or like doing things the hard way, great for you.

Like other members on this forum, I prefer and suggest to others the baitcaster option when salmon trolling.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer baitcasters and use them 90% of the time. I keep 2 spinning set ups in my boat for people who don't like baitcasters. My wife as well as a couple of fishing buddies just are not comfortable using a baitcaster so they can use whatever they want to in my boat. Spinning works fine, you just need to deal with a little line twist but the newer spinning reels have much better drags than the older ones where a lot of guys back reeled on larger fish. You don't really need to do that any longer. When letting line out with the spinning reel I just keep one finger lightly on the line and let the lure slowly pull it off. You don't really need to make a cast when trolling.
    Personally I use a 5500 most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Nor_Cal_Drifter; 01-02-2020 at 09:35 PM.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

9. Likes Snowtrout liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    God bless America, everyone has the right to be wrong it they want to..... Sorry couldn't help myself.
    Yet, here you are, saying I'm wrong. #dsabfec
    Last edited by BrotherWilliams; 01-02-2020 at 09:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherWilliams View Post
    I hate baitcasters. I will NOT use them. Button over a bail? Really? REALLY? No thank you.

God bless America, everyone has the right to be wrong it they want to..... Sorry couldn't help myself.

Fishing is an individual recreational thing. Use what you want, how you want, and enjoy it. If you've tried multiple ways and have a preference, more power to you.

For folks who aren't as "informed", the reasons a lot of folks use baitcasters/conventional reels for trolling are:

1- you don't cast them, you simply let out and reel in line which all but eliminating backlashes
    2- by placing your thumb on the spool, disengaging the reel and slowly letting out line by adjusting thumb pressure most folks have much better control of the setup. When flipping the bail on a spinning reel the only control you have is the line between your fingers. Let out too much too fast, and your gear gets tangled
    3- baitcasters typically have better drags
    4- baitcasters don't twist line

Using a baitcasting reel for trolling is a thing for a reason. But it doesn't have to be your thing.

12. Likes Snowtrout liked this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast