Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sacramento Bee Article on American River Native Salmon

Thanks for the article Jack. More information is a good thing.

I'm making a New Years resolution not to read any thread past the third post. I lose 5 IQ points every time I do......

2. Likes CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjb View Post
    That is ridiculous!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No only that . seems the Liberals really don`t care about the envoroment either . If Im not mistaken . California , Oregon and Washinton are Liberal states!! and they preach Climate change and the animals rights Crap !! I guess fish are Not animals ,,Just Fish!!! what a waste of eggs . and Humanity

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

That is ridiculous!!!

Yeah. The stats still have me pretty speechless. What a world we’ve come to live in.

The decline of everything from salmon, steelhead, striper all the way down the delta to things like sculpins and tule perch can be linked to this. Salmon eggs and flesh are capable of creating so much life. It is a genocidal crime unto nature.

germinating extinction...

5. Likes steeliesNstripers, CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dsa2780 View Post
    Agreed to all that NCD said plus this little anecdote that I found while browsing social media.

norcal guides and sportsman’s association posted a video of distribution of frozen feather river salmon. 30,000 chinook got bonked once the hatchery got their egg quota. 30,000 California chinook then are sent to Washington/Canada and filleted, then re packed in single use plastic then sent BACK to California to be distributed. 90,000,000 eggs that didn’t end up in the river according to their quick little report. This has been going on for 18 years. Tribes are given their 6,000 fish as per usual. The 30,000 are killed because they’re “excess” hatchery fish.

HSRG is the group that stands for “hatchery scientific review group”. They seem like another group that has private interest funding it to strong arm state fish and wildlife agencies to create hatchery shortages and piss poor fisheries.

90,000,000 eggs. Think about that. Ninety. Million.

The rivers don’t smell like a rotten mess of decaying salmon anymore. This is because under influence of HSRG, our hatcheries are killing off these fish and handing them over to a private entity that I can guarantee is utilizing them for some sort of profit. Even if the fish are given away for free, tax write offs or whatever can stem from that. Nobody is filleting up and plastic wrapping 30,000 feather river chinook for zero profit. Willing to bet on the deep dark side of things, the eggs from the hatchery fish are being sold for caviar somewhere in the world or something else equally and as ridiculously evil.

If you have the ability to, check out NorCal guides and sportsman’s associations video on it. I didn’t believe it at first but this is a direct correlation to the death of our rivers here in the Sacramento Valley.

Rivers are literally being washed into lifeless deserts from the lack of those eggs and decaying salmon flesh nutrients. Think of all the biodiversity that is not happening because of this trash.
    That is ridiculous!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed to all that NCD said plus this little anecdote that I found while browsing social media.

norcal guides and sportsman’s association posted a video of distribution of frozen feather river salmon. 30,000 chinook got bonked once the hatchery got their egg quota. 30,000 California chinook then are sent to Washington/Canada and filleted, then re packed in single use plastic then sent BACK to California to be distributed. 90,000,000 eggs that didn’t end up in the river according to their quick little report. This has been going on for 18 years. Tribes are given their 6,000 fish as per usual. The 30,000 are killed because they’re “excess” hatchery fish.

HSRG is the group that stands for “hatchery scientific review group”. They seem like another group that has private interest funding it to strong arm state fish and wildlife agencies to create hatchery shortages and piss poor fisheries.

90,000,000 eggs. Think about that. Ninety. Million.

The rivers don’t smell like a rotten mess of decaying salmon anymore. This is because under influence of HSRG, our hatcheries are killing off these fish and handing them over to a private entity that I can guarantee is utilizing them for some sort of profit. Even if the fish are given away for free, tax write offs or whatever can stem from that. Nobody is filleting up and plastic wrapping 30,000 feather river chinook for zero profit. Willing to bet on the deep dark side of things, the eggs from the hatchery fish are being sold for caviar somewhere in the world or something else equally and as ridiculously evil.

If you have the ability to, check out NorCal guides and sportsman’s associations video on it. I didn’t believe it at first but this is a direct correlation to the death of our rivers here in the Sacramento Valley.

Rivers are literally being washed into lifeless deserts from the lack of those eggs and decaying salmon flesh nutrients. Think of all the biodiversity that is not happening because of this trash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    I'm not sure I would go as far as to say this offers some hope for the future. The root causes of the dwindling fish runs have not been addressed (dams/access to spawning habitat, water diversions, water temps, delta water quality, etc.). The spawning habitat this restores is equivalent to less than 1% of what existed prior to the dams being built. Unless the dams are coming down, which ain't gonna happen, the solution is to improve hatchery practices (broodstock, hatchery pens that simulate in-stream conditions, etc.) and pump out more hatchery fish. To think we can return rivers like the American, Feather and Sac to self-sustaining wild fisheries is downright idiotic. Until the root causes mentioned above are resolved, the hatcheries are an absolute necessity (and a legal requirement under the CVPIA). Unfortunately it seems some of the bios and decision makers have bought into the wild fish recovery myth for these systems. This is probably the biggest threat to Salmon and Steelhead currently - the powers that be naively thinking they can restore wild runs to their historic levels while not addressing the impact humans have had. Can't understand how so many have bought into this fantasy. If you are tracking the politics going on in the Pacific Northwest on this issue, you know it is downright maddening and a real threat to our fish runs.
    im with you on the B-Stock and the Hatcheryes fish . we need them Period. If some really thinks Wild Fish will come back if we did away with Hatchery fish . take another hit My Friend. lets say They do away with hatchery fish . Lets just say they do. I`m sure regs will be No Limit . C&R if even that for those that will still be fishing . then there is the Sea Lion issue . Seems Cali the Environment state can care less on that issue . so there One issue not being addressed, then we have the Pumps ,Then the WILD Smolts and the Stripers , then the Chinese . and the Commercial fisherman and if there are no fish to go around because there all WIld . we won`t have and fish for the Whales that eat Salmon and then there the Drought That our state has every 4-5 years and the water being wasted as well on that issue . see where I`m going with this?? Hatchery fish need to be around for the future of the fisheries!! and now you Can exhale and take another hit My friend!

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s not even including the over fishing going on in the ocean. Chinese boats have been caught off our coast illegally harvesting salmon. Who knows how much is harvested when they migrate around to Russia. How many commercial boats are taking more because it makes no sense how many smolts are released by every hatchery and how many come back.

To top that off, Californian commercial ocean take went 100,000 fish over quota. 300,000 plus adults dead and on ice before they even can get to the river. Supposedly that 100,000 will just be subtracted from next years quota. Great plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    I'm not sure I would go as far as to say this offers some hope for the future. The root causes of the dwindling fish runs have not been addressed (dams/access to spawning habitat, water diversions, water temps, delta water quality, etc.). The spawning habitat this restores is equivalent to less than 1% of what existed prior to the dams being built. Unless the dams are coming down, which ain't gonna happen, the solution is to improve hatchery practices (broodstock, hatchery pens that simulate in-stream conditions, etc.) and pump out more hatchery fish. To think we can return rivers like the American, Feather and Sac to self-sustaining wild fisheries is downright idiotic. Until the root causes mentioned above are resolved, the hatcheries are an absolute necessity (and a legal requirement under the CVPIA). Unfortunately it seems some of the bios and decision makers have bought into the wild fish recovery myth for these systems. This is probably the biggest threat to Salmon and Steelhead currently - the powers that be naively thinking they can restore wild runs to their historic levels while not addressing the impact humans have had. Can't understand how so many have bought into this fantasy. If you are tracking the politics going on in the Pacific Northwest on this issue, you know it is downright maddening and a real threat to our fish runs.

That’s not even including the over fishing going on in the ocean. Chinese boats have been caught off our coast illegally harvesting salmon. Who knows how much is harvested when they migrate around to Russia. How many commercial boats are taking more because it makes no sense how many smolts are released by every hatchery and how many come back.

Post Thanks / Like

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

Sacramento Bee Article on American River Native Salmon

Here is an article about the restoration efforts for the American River native salmon:
    https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/en...238987383.html

The bar chart about half way down the article says all you need to know about why the salmon fishing has been so lousy since the closure. This article offers some hope for the future!

13. Likes rivertamer, Stickman liked this post