Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best clam/fish chowder recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Troutinator View Post
    Yeah, I pulled out a package of halibut I found in the freezer from our Kenai trip a few years ago. It came out excellent in the chowder.
    I fish a bunch but lately not so much (surgery coming up). I have a friend in town who fishes Alaska every year and brings home more than he and his wife can handle. I get some from time to time from him. I always look at different ways of fixing what I have. It is always a treat to see other ways of doing things....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best clam/fish chowder recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    Thanks for the recipie, I have some frozen fish from Alaska that I would sure like to try it on........Jetspray
    Yeah, I pulled out a package of halibut I found in the freezer from our Kenai trip a few years ago. It came out excellent in the chowder.

3. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Best clam/fish chowder recipe

Thanks for the recipie, I have some frozen fish from Alaska that I would sure like to try it on........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Best clam/fish chowder recipe

It only take a couple of great trips to the coast before you find yourself with many vaccum sealed bags of rockfish and lingcod fillets in the freezer. We beer batter, blacken, pan fry and now we make fish chowder. The guys at work love it so I wanted to share. I'm no expert on this chowder stuff and I did tweak it here and there and I certainly expect you to make your own changes to it.

Clam/fish chowder

4 thick bacon strips cut into small pieces
    2-3 celery stalks, chopped
    1 lg onion, chopped
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    3 small potatoes (I prefer Yukon), peeled and cubed
    1 cup water
    1 8oz bottle clam juice (or a cup of fresh clam juice if you can get it)
    3 teaspoons or cubes of chicken bouillon
    1/4 or to taste pepper
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    salt to taste, but the bacon and bouillon is usually salty enough
    1/3 cup flour
    2 cups half and half or cream
    1 can undrained clams (or several fresh clams)
    1 lb rockfish, cut into bite sized pieced

Saute bacon until crisp, remove pieces leaving the drippings. Saute celery and onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic and saute for about a minute. Stir in potatoes, water, clam juice, bouillon, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until potatoes and tender. Add the fish chunks at this time.

Combine flour and 1 cup of half and half until smooth. Slowly stir this in the soup and bring to boil, cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Stir in clams and their juices and remaining half and half and just heat through. Serve in sourdough bread bowls with bacon pieces on top of each serving. Mmmmm.