Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folsom 11/23

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Folsom 11/23

Quote Originally Posted by american_fisher View Post
    It seems weird to me that the pond smelt have ruined Folsom Lake. Lake Natoma has the biggest rainbows in the state if not in the country and the reason they get so big is because of the pond smelt that come from Folsom. You guys realize the state record rainbow of almost 30 pounds is from Natoma? Have you ever watched the rainbows feeding on them it is amazing! Catch a king salmon and open them up. They are full of them. Every time I fish Folsom I have great results. Try to match what they eat and see what happens.
    Were talking about Kok's and no Kokanne would ever make it in Nimbus. Kokanne and pond smelt eat the same Food source, "Plankton" and Trout Bass, Salmon, and Pike don't, see the problem???? On top of that the quality of land locked Kings are second rate compared to Kok's. Whalonem

Post Thanks / Like

It seems weird to me that the pond smelt have ruined Folsom Lake. Lake Natoma has the biggest rainbows in the state if not in the country and the reason they get so big is because of the pond smelt that come from Folsom. You guys realize the state record rainbow of almost 30 pounds is from Natoma? Have you ever watched the rainbows feeding on them it is amazing! Catch a king salmon and open them up. They are full of them. Every time I fish Folsom I have great results. Try to match what they eat and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Kokanee don't live well, if at all, in lakes with Pond Smelt. The comment blamed Fish and Game for putting pond smelt in Folsom, but failed to mention the decision was 40+ years old, or that Kings, Trout and Bass love them. Seemed to imply that if pond smelt weren't in Folsom it would be a world class kokanee fishery. Seems doubtful.

I wish Folsom was a better fishing lake too. The griping and finger pointing just gets old.

My 2 cents........
    Before the introduction of Pond smelt, Folsom had an abundance of Threadfin shad to, a wonderful forage for Kings, Trout and Bass, and by the way Kokanee coexisted with them . Amazingly Shasta lake is in the middle of reintroducing Kok's simply because if contains no Pond smelt, but plenty of Threadfin shad, very interesting!!!!! Shasta has it all and is one of the premier lakes in the state, and in my opinion because it has no Pond Smelt!!!!!The trout, both Browns and Rainbow are huge and the Bass are thick as hell. Just guess whats going to happen with the Kok's. Accept for the warmer water temp's at Folsom, and by the way with the new Damn at Folsom, maybe the water can be held longer and higher, keeping it cooler, Folsom could be a Hell of alot better than it is. DFW, get rid of the POND Smelt in this State and plant, plant, plant. DFW, you screwed it up, figure it out and fix it!!!!! All of you Sniffers, should all be up in arms and marching on the DFW head quarters and raising HELL!!!!!!

I seem to be the only one on this site trying to bring this out into open.

Whalonem
    Last edited by whalonem; 12-10-2019 at 05:07 PM.

4. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kokanee don't live well, if at all, in lakes with Pond Smelt. The comment blamed Fish and Game for putting pond smelt in Folsom, but failed to mention the decision was 40+ years old, or that Kings, Trout and Bass love them. Seemed to imply that if pond smelt weren't in Folsom it would be a world class kokanee fishery. Seems doubtful.

I wish Folsom was a better fishing lake too. The griping and finger pointing just gets old.

My 2 cents........

6. Likes MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got to ask, why the emphasis on pond smelt? I can't make sense of it. Do the squawfish (pike minnow) feed on these so much that they are so terribly abundant in Folsom? I think not. Seems to me one species will consume any other as long as they can catch and swallow them. Bottom line is Folsom (Enigma) is not a lake to expect much if you want to catch fish. I continue to try simply because of the location nearby my residence and it can be scenic there.

Post Thanks / Like

"DFW has no program for Folsom, being only a few miles from Nimbus hatchery you'd think that Folsom could be a depository for all the left over/spoiledge from the hatchery......"

"Fish and wildlife planted 100,000 fingerlings in May."

"Humm, I bet the Spotted bass appreciated the Buffet, got to think beyond the headlines!!!!!"

"The major problem with Folsom is someone withing DFW planted Pond Smelt..."

Yep, Oroville and Almanor don't have viable fisheries either, damn pond smelt have ruined them both...... And since they're introduction was in 1972, that DFG (back then) dude should be fired, and stop driving around his new Pontiac LeMans (One of the most popular new car when this decision was made).

It might seem as though some folks just can't win.....

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the early 60s my Dad would take me there trolling and it was nothing to catch Kokanee 16 to 22 inches just about every time we went then later on something happened to the lake and the Kokanee disappeared

10. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Folsomtroller22 View Post
    It's primary purpose is flood control. Fishing and maybe catching, not so much. It is and remains an unfortunate situation.
    If you take a look at ALL the other lakes up and down California, they ALL have a purpose other than recreation, ie. flood control or Hydro electric, and most of them offer far more angling opportunities than Folsom. The major problem with Folsom is someone withing DFW planted Pond Smelt and that changed the entire habitat of the lake. Threadfin Shad was plenty enough bait forage for the lake. Now no more Kokes can survive with the competition of the Pond Smelt. Need to eradicate the little buggers and start all over. in the 60's Folsom was a super Koke fishery until DFW planted the Smelt. Game over. Whalonem

12. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheries Advocate View Post
    Fish and wildlife planted 100,000 fingerlings in May. It would be better if they grew them to yearlings like for Oroville & Shasta...
    Humm, I bet the Spotted bass appreciated the Buffet, got to think beyond the headlines!!!!! Whalonem

Post Thanks / Like

The best time I had Fishing for King Salmon was in 2000 when we were able to tie up to the Buoy line by the Dam mooching with Anchovies. That year I caught over a Hundred Salmon averaging 16 to 23 inches. Then in 2001 when the Terrorist attack they chased us off the Buoy lines and basically Fishing never seemed the same after that. That was probably the best year for catching Salmon for me then it seemed to go down hill after that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast