Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Closing the East Carson 11/15/19

Quote Originally Posted by yell0wshirt View Post
    Where's this bridge on HWY 20 if you don't mind me asking? It along the Marysville/Nevada City route of 20? Maybe I'll go up there, shorter drive for me and it would only be rain (although my friends in Nevada City say they're getting snow today).

Never fished for Steelhead before, I know I'd need a card for them, but same manner of fly and spin fishing as you would for browns and bows?
    Yes, east of Marysville. Check it out on google maps. Just checked the regs and fishing is closed from the Hwy 20 bridge upstream to the Englebright Dam. Open year round with artificial / barbless from the bridge downstream to the mouth at the Feather. Always read the regs for yourself though. I'm only full of crap half the time, but that's more than enough.

Fly guys get very specific on hatches and patterns. Any luck I've ever had was trying to imitate a loose salmon egg. Glow-bug / pegged bead side-drifted or under a float is what I'd try. Might also try a pink worm, but make sure it's not scented or you'll be breaking the rules. I'm also partial to swinging spinners as the fish don't see as many of them, but be sure to swap out to a single barbless hook.

Good luck.

2. Likes Jetspray, Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Lots of places to access the American. I'd probably go into Fisherman's Warehouse to get a specific recommendation.

The Yuba has access from Highway 20 which crosses it. Lots of water downstream of the bridge. Some steelhead and resident rainbows. Single barbless regulations apply (on a lot of the American too for that matter). Several fly-guides post reports on the Yuba. Should be able to find some info in a short search.

Feather River in the Oroville Recreation Area is similar.

Good luck.
    Where's this bridge on HWY 20 if you don't mind me asking? It along the Marysville/Nevada City route of 20? Maybe I'll go up there, shorter drive for me and it would only be rain (although my friends in Nevada City say they're getting snow today).

Never fished for Steelhead before, I know I'd need a card for them, but same manner of fly and spin fishing as you would for browns and bows?

Post Thanks / Like

Are there decent stream areas up on the Yuba or American that you would recommend? I know those are definitely lower elevation so I'd just hit rain this week and not snow. Thanks for the help

Lots of places to access the American. I'd probably go into Fisherman's Warehouse to get a specific recommendation.

The Yuba has access from Highway 20 which crosses it. Lots of water downstream of the bridge. Some steelhead and resident rainbows. Single barbless regulations apply (on a lot of the American too for that matter). Several fly-guides post reports on the Yuba. Should be able to find some info in a short search.

Feather River in the Oroville Recreation Area is similar.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Never know what the weather will ultimately be, but Hwy 88 is nothing to mess with in the snow. They plow it, but not as quick as they do 80 and 50. It’s also prone to big dumps.

I would think of steelhead in the American, Yuba, Feather and even Sacramento if I had to scratch the itch for a river trout in the next month or two. Maybe farther, but beats frost bite and chains.

Just food for thought.
    Are there decent stream areas up on the Yuba or American that you would recommend? I know those are definitely lower elevation so I'd just hit rain this week and not snow. Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Never know what the weather will ultimately be, but Hwy 88 is nothing to mess with in the snow. They plow it, but not as quick as they do 80 and 50. It’s also prone to big dumps.

I would think of steelhead in the American, Yuba, Feather and even Sacramento if I had to scratch the itch for a river trout in the next month or two. Maybe farther, but beats frost bite and chains.

Just food for thought.
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 11-25-2019 at 08:30 AM.

7. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'll try Hangman's Bridge, looks like it's the closest for me from San Fran. Any recs on flies or lures to use? I'll probably start with indicator nymph fishing and see how that goes.

My brother fished the West Carson a few weeks ago (I never have), but he used a Rooster Tail and Nymphs from the Tahoe Fly Fishing Outfitters.

Thank you!
    Rooster Tails should work. Pinch the barbs. That being said the weather is going to be a bit nasty.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for continuing to post on this, but it looks like its going to snow starting Tuesday up that way and it's supposed to continue until thursday. I've got chains for my sedan, but wondering if anyone thinks it's actually worth it to go fish by Hangman's or if someone has a better recommendation for lower elevation stream/river fishing? I don't mind fishing in the rain or snow at all (I actually love it). I still really want to get up there any fish, just not sure if they may close off roads or Highway 88 getting up there.

I know a lot of you live up that way and a guy coming from the Bay Area, I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Compassion View Post
    This is the way it has always been on Eastern Sierra streams and rivers in California with noticeable exceptions for C&R. East Walker below Bridgeport Res. Parts of the Owens above Crowley. Hot Creek. East Carson Below Hangman's Bridge. The West Walker from the 395 Bridge down to Topaz Lake. The best of these is the East Walker.

CC
    I think I'll try Hangman's Bridge, looks like it's the closest for me from San Fran. Any recs on flies or lures to use? I'll probably start with indicator nymph fishing and see how that goes.

My brother fished the West Carson a few weeks ago (I never have), but he used a Rooster Tail and Nymphs from the Tahoe Fly Fishing Outfitters.

Thank you!

Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the way it has always been on Eastern Sierra streams and rivers in California with noticeable exceptions for C&R. East Walker below Bridgeport Res. Parts of the Owens above Crowley. Hot Creek. East Carson Below Hangman's Bridge. The West Walker from the 395 Bridge down to Topaz Lake. The best of these is the East Walker.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

12. Likes yell0wshirt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a reason why the Carson above Hangman’s and up to the 88/89 change is closed? Do they do this to allow the fish to spawn?

Sent my brother up there a few weeks ago because I see you guys fishing that way and he had great success too

I always find it interesting even if your C&R only and can’t fish. Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast