Results 1 to 5 of 5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Member Eric_Rybak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Near Fresno
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Carp or catfish fishing locations around Fresno

    I'm new to the area and am finding the valley thus far lacking in carp and catfish opportunities. Lake Kaweah (not a fan at all). Caught some decent carp in Shaver Lake. Would love to try out Pine Flat Lake. Anyone have any recommendations in the Fresno, Hanford, Visalia, Bakersfield area?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Plug-n-Jug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    604
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Carp or catfish fishing locations around Fresno

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Rybak View Post
    I'm new to the area and am finding the valley thus far lacking in carp and catfish opportunities. Lake Kaweah (not a fan at all). Caught some decent carp in Shaver Lake. Would love to try out Pine Flat Lake. Anyone have any recommendations in the Fresno, Hanford, Visalia, Bakersfield area?
    Moved from Fresno to Sacramento in 82. I used to catch cats next to the dam at night at Shaver, Millerton and Pine Flat. The Delta Mendota canal isn't to far away either.
    I FISH, THEREFORE I CUSS AND LIE!

  3. #3
    Junior Member Eric_Rybak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Near Fresno
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Carp or catfish fishing locations around Fresno

    Quote Originally Posted by Plug-n-Jug View Post
    Moved from Fresno to Sacramento in 82. I used to catch cats next to the dam at night at Shaver, Millerton and Pine Flat. The Delta Mendota canal isn't to far away either.
    My coworker used to live near Millerton and has stories of the bass fishing there. Without a boat, I'm relegated to bank fishing and I've heard the snakes around Millerton are thick. Not ideal for trapsing around after dark along the bank to get to and from fishing for catfish.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Plug-n-Jug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    604
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Carp or catfish fishing locations around Fresno

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Rybak View Post
    My coworker used to live near Millerton and has stories of the bass fishing there. Without a boat, I'm relegated to bank fishing and I've heard the snakes around Millerton are thick. Not ideal for trapsing around after dark along the bank to get to and from fishing for catfish.
    The only time I saw them there was when they were sunning themselves in the morning and at dusk. You definitely need to keep your eyes open and listening to your surroundings when hiking in the foothills. Never saw or worried about them after it was dark. Guess they didn't like the fire or lantern light.
    I FISH, THEREFORE I CUSS AND LIE!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Lemoore, CA
    Posts
    109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Carp or catfish fishing locations around Fresno

    Lake Success near Porterville and Lake Isabella near Bakersfield have carp. I've fly fished for carp at Isabella and we see a lot of carp swimming around our boat while bass fishing across the lake from the boat ramp (which is accessible by parking and walking).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •