Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to fish for when ro kfish season closes

Thank you all for the feedback. Dropped two hoop nets and a pot last weekend. Pretty sure i was in sand but with a 5ft swell it was hard for the sonar to get a good reading. Got only red rock crabs no dungenous. Anyone know if their is a optimal depth for dungenous crab? Caught lots of croaker and then started drifting live croakers. Not much untill my lady had something big hit and run with it. My rebuilt 1970's ryobi reels drag failed on her though and pulled the line ou all jerky. The fish snapped the trebble hook from my 30lb mono and is now just another fish story. Pretty sure it was a giant hallibut. Soon as rock fish season closes we are going back to get that monster!

2. Likes one more cast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crab is always a good deal, could also target the flat fish (dabs etc as CPR mentioned) while you soak your gear.

Post Thanks / Like

Flat fish mainly, CA Halibut if you can get them to bite, pacific sanddabs and some soles. White Seabass if the squid boats are around.

Post Thanks / Like

What to fish for when ro kfish season closes

So I finally got my little boat saltwater ready last month. Been out a few times and i love it. Launching from Santa cruz harbor mostly. Just wondering what i should be trying to target when rockfish season closes in January?