Post Thanks / Like

Re: Salmon or Steelhead found in lakes?

I know kokanee were planted in San Luis a long time ago but they never had a chance to survive due to the stripers enjoying the dfg provided snack.

Do not know of any kings being planted but it could be possible a fish or two trekked down the I-5 aqueduct, got sucked into the fore bay, then sucked into San Luis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Fish and Wildlife has information on-line with stocking information. Not familiar with specific Bay Area lakes, but a few others.

Chinook salmon are frequently planted in lakes that were excess offspring of ocean run salmon. Folsom, Oroville, Shasta, Don Pedro and Berryessa in the past. Steelhead more rarely. Feather River hatchery has placed some excess ocean run steelhead offspring in the afterbay to Lake Oroville several times.

As for natural fish getting into lakes without planting, Lake Sonoma is rumored to have a native population of rainbows that are descendants of ocean run steelhead that were trapped when the dam was built that continue to reproduce. Folsom had some stocked Kings documented to successfully reproduce upstream of the lake, and Kokanee do it a fair amount. I expect some salmon and steelhead smolts occasionally get into places after being sucked into pumps, but have never heard of enough to make a viable fishery.

Not sure if that’s what you were asking or not, but might be helpful.
    Nimbus

Post Thanks / Like

Fish and Wildlife has information on-line with stocking information. Not familiar with specific Bay Area lakes, but a few others.

Chinook salmon are frequently planted in lakes that were excess offspring of ocean run salmon. Folsom, Oroville, Shasta, Don Pedro and Berryessa in the past. Steelhead more rarely. Feather River hatchery has placed some excess ocean run steelhead offspring in the afterbay to Lake Oroville several times.

As for natural fish getting into lakes without planting, Lake Sonoma is rumored to have a native population of rainbows that are descendants of ocean run steelhead that were trapped when the dam was built that continue to reproduce. Folsom had some stocked Kings documented to successfully reproduce upstream of the lake, and Kokanee do it a fair amount. I expect some salmon and steelhead smolts occasionally get into places after being sucked into pumps, but have never heard of enough to make a viable fishery.

Not sure if that’s what you were asking or not, but might be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

There’s Kings and Kokanee in a lot of reservoirs locally. Folsom oroville bullards bar to name a few look it up on google or the search engine on this website they can be targeted with downriggers or lead core setups needlefish wedding rings hootchies etc for Kokanee always tip your hook with white show peg corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Salmon or Steelhead found in lakes?

I was curious if anyone knew of any bay area lakes that had Salmon or steelhead that have been landlocked or even steelhead that wash in from an inflowing river. I've heard that there are small chinook salmon stocked in both Los Vaqueros and Del Valle and I have also heard that salmon will sometimes turn up in San Luis Reservoir. Can anyone share their knowledge on this subject?

thanks!