Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Roller vs Bunk for EZ Loader Trailer

Some rollers will sieze up with corrosion, and their placement can be critical. I like bunks as well, you can always spray them with some lube like WD-40 but don't apply great amounts just enough to cover a little of the carpet. WD stands for Water Displacement formula 40.......Jetspray

BTW look up the MSDS on it if you have any questions.
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

2. Likes Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Roller vs Bunk for EZ Loader Trailer

The OP only has a 14 footer so side board really aren’t needed. Just back the trailer deep enough to reach the Eye bolt, hook the strap then crank a couple of turns. If the boat needs adjusting then grab the transom and bounce it in place.

235 Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

4. Likes Paintguy, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Bunks are far superior in my opinion for one reason. The boat stays where you put it. With rollers, as soon as you release the winch on a slope the boat is rolling to the water, or worse, the ramp. I’ve seen several roller trailer winch cables or ropes break. Normally on older larger boats. At that point any slope at all is bad news.

If you look at most winches on small boat trailer it is just that tiny little spring that is keeping the winch from back spinning free. Always a best practice to have a short length of chain with a hook from the winch post to the bow eye.

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bunks are far superior in my opinion for one reason. The boat stays where you put it. With rollers, as soon as you release the winch on a slope the boat is rolling to the water, or worse, the ramp. I’ve seen several roller trailer winch cables or ropes break. Normally on older larger boats. At that point any slope at all is bad news.

It sounds like winching your boat onto the trailer may be difficult. If so, there are things that help. Replacing the winch and using a good strap is an easy, cheap upgrade. Lower geared winches are nice, and most older winches get tweaked and bent over time. Mine right now is a prime example, but it still work “well enough”. I’ve also put Teflon skid on the bunks which help it slide better than carpet, but be careful it doesn’t slide too easy.

If getting the boat off the trailer is an issue, rig up a specific use rope long enough to have the boat off the trailer plus 4-5’ when hooked to the bow and truck. I hook mine to the inside bed of the truck by the driver’s side cab (Bumper works for an SUV). When you launch, back it down to where the boat floats off the trailer, and then pull forward enough to either lead the boat to the dock, or climb in the bow. No need to get feet wet, or push and shove. Be warned though. When folks see the boat floating off the trailer with no one standing there, they may think you’re nuts. Doesn’t take long to see the benefits. One key issue however, is don’t forget to hook up the rope, and make sure it’s a good one. Never had to swim for it, but I’ve seen it happen.

Used to spend some time at Oroville every spring watching the mayhem on the ramp. Can be pretty entertaining if you’ve got the right mind-set. Maybe a little sadistic, but funny. Also a lot to be learned from guys who have it figured out too.

Just food for thought.

8. Likes Paintguy, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

3rd for bunks. I would prefer bunks over rollers on an aluminum boat. Bunks (with transom fully supported) are a lot less likely to damage your thin skinned hull.

If you don't have them, consider adding side bunks or guides. Those make loading by yourself a lot easier. Especially when you are dealing with a light boat in the wind.

Edit -- my last two boats I took an afternoon to adjust the bunks/guides so that they exactly fit the boat. Now after I winch the boat up and pull it out it settles perfectly on the trailer.
    Last edited by Ldubs; 02-20-2020 at 05:00 PM.

10. Likes Paintguy, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2nd vote for Bunk boards

12. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Imo, Bunk boards are much easier to load a boat.

235 Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

14. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Roller vs Bunk for EZ Loader Trailer

I have a 14' Klamath and it sits on a stock 2004 EZ Loader trailer. The trailer came with factory installed carpeted bunks. The bunks extend about 2" past the transom.
    I need to be able to easily launch and retrieve my boat by myself. It looks like the roller setup would be just what I need.

Any ideas, suggestions or comments would be muchly appreciated.

16. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12