Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blade pitches on props

Good info here, thanx for the intel.

Post Thanks / Like

My Crestliner is 18.5' and my Mercury 4 stroke is a 115 hp. I have two aluminum props. One is a 15 and one is a 17 pitch. If I use the 17 it struggles with 3 people at over 2000' elevation. I used to change between the two based on weight load and elevation but I gave up on that and only use the 15 now. The 17 is always in my boat and is my spare. You can probably go to a higher pitch prop than I can because of your horse power but weight and elevation makes a big difference. I prefer to be a little lower pitch so I can get on plane quickly and I rarely run my boat over 4700 RPM but I can get to 6000 rpm if I want to.
    My boat is a 35 mph boat with two people and gear. I rarely go over 30 mph.

Post Thanks / Like

My prop is a 14-19 (pitch). The boat is mostly used in saltwater. I need to put the boat back in and check the rpm. Pulled out my Mercury owners manual (which I couldn't find for awhile) and it was pretty infirmary regarding pitch. I appreciate comments regarding experiences and knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

These guys have a prop calculator tool that is pretty cool. Put your motor and boat specs in and it will give you prop recommendations. BTW, I read that the Turning Point props are pretty good too.

https://v2.propellerwizard.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Looked at the Merc website. RPM max range is 5000-5800 for your engine. So what is the name of the prop, what pitch do you have currently and what is your max RPM’s at full throttle?

Other questions to answer would be:
    Do you want roughly the same performance as the aluminum, just stainless prop?
    Do you want more speed?
    Do you want to plane quicker and have better mid range cruising speed, while sacrificing a few mph?
    Do you fish above 5000’ often?

Once you have your info and what you want, many here can probably help or you can go to all sorts of websites that can guide you.

As for prop info, each 1” pitch change is about 200 rpms. So a 2” change would give you or take away about 400 rpms. Stainless doesn’t flex as easy as aluminum so that can add rpms. Diameter of prop can also affect + or - your rpms too. Elevation decreases hp, so many use a lower pitch prop to keep rpms up.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Snowtrout; 03-01-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Blade pitches on props

Well, I already mentioned I'm considering replacing my aluminum prop with a stainless steel prop, but now I'm seeing different pitches of props. I have a Mercury 150 hp 4 stroke on a 18.5' Crestliner. What is difference between a 17 and 19 pitch props, for example? Thanks.