Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Say Goodbye to Stripers .

"Whiskey is for drinking; water is for fighting over."

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    I agree with you 100%. In this state water is money and power. Water rules.Too many powerful special interests when it comes to water. Iím just glad I got to experience the glory days of fishing in California.. Iíve mentioned this before but a real fascinating read regarding California water and itís history read Cadillac Desert. Book was written 25 or so years but is as relevant today as it was then. An awesome read.
    David

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; deport him and you will not have to feed him again.
    Trump 20:16

2. Likes CAL.NDN liked this post
    Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember the striper fishing of the late 50ís and early 60ís. 3 fish limits, 16Ē minimum size. Limits were easy and most caught limits. Most fish were over 20Ē and many many were were 30 and 40Ē+. I remember one time fishing the fall run in the carquinez straits , my dad and I and 2 others caught our limits soaking sardines in about 2 1/2 hours. The smallest was 37 inches and the biggest was 47 inches. I have fond memories of those days. Doubt weíll ever see days like that again but I donít think the striper fishery will disappear but itís hard to say for sure. There are a lot of factors involved affecting the striper decline. The amount of water being pumped out of the delta is a major factor. The tunnel or tunnels will make things worse. In addition loss of spawning habitat, water pollution and pesticides, predation and several other factors account for the striper decline. We need a concerted effort by fishermen, conservationists, environmentalists and politicians. The problem is that the people with the power, the politicians donít seem to have much interest in the delta striper fishery. If more (or any) politicians were fishermen or outdoor enthusiasts our fisheries would get more attention. With the continuing urbanization of California and the decline of fishermen in this state I think our hopes of preserving the striper fishery and other fisheries grow dim.
    I laugh sometimes when I hear the ďpollution and pesticidesĒ argument. Having grown up fishing the Delta and my father a dm grandfather fished it, we saw when the fishery was healthier.....when the farmers were still dumping the pesticides into the rivers. We didnít have the habitat issues, the invasive weeds clogging sloughs and waterways, the silting in and back filling of so many slougs, the algae issues, etc..

while im not arguing in favor of pesticides in the waters, it has to make you wonder how so many species remained sustainable through it and without it the estuary system as we knew it is dying

4. Likes Hamachi_Kama liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hamachi_Kama View Post
    To add to your point - you get out of say, a 50 mile radius from the Ca. Delta and the interest in it and its fisheries begins to degrade quite a bit. It's a local battle that has State-wide implications. Fact to the matter is that folks care more about water than the fishery. Quite understandable if you put yourself in the shoes of millions of non-delta fishing California citizens. Most folks give credence to the economics and overall need for water before they will support the striper fishery. And in my critical thinking, I ask myself the same question - is the striper fishery more important than the needs of water for agriculture and my fellow citizens? Of course my thoughts are completely biased, but the reality is that most folks in the State care about water a lot more than stripers.
    I agree with you 100%. In this state water is money and power. Water rules.Too many powerful special interests when it comes to water. Iím just glad I got to experience the glory days of fishing in California.. Iíve mentioned this before but a real fascinating read regarding California water and itís history read Cadillac Desert. Book was written 25 or so years but is as relevant today as it was then. An awesome read.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 03-09-2020 at 12:29 PM.

6. Likes Hamachi_Kama liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember the striper fishing of the late 50ís and early 60ís. 3 fish limits, 16Ē minimum size. Limits were easy and most caught limits. Most fish were over 20Ē and many many were were 30 and 40Ē+. I remember one time fishing the fall run in the carquinez straits , my dad and I and 2 others caught our limits soaking sardines in about 2 1/2 hours. The smallest was 37 inches and the biggest was 47 inches. I have fond memories of those days. Doubt weíll ever see days like that again but I donít think the striper fishery will disappear but itís hard to say for sure. There are a lot of factors involved affecting the striper decline. The amount of water being pumped out of the delta is a major factor. The tunnel or tunnels will make things worse. In addition loss of spawning habitat, water pollution and pesticides, predation and several other factors account for the striper decline. We need a concerted effort by fishermen, conservationists, environmentalists and politicians. The problem is that the people with the power, the politicians donít seem to have much interest in the delta striper fishery. If more (or any) politicians were fishermen or outdoor enthusiasts our fisheries would get more attention. With the continuing urbanization of California and the decline of fishermen in this state I think our hopes of preserving the striper fishery and other fisheries grow dim.
    To add to your point - you get out of say, a 50 mile radius from the Ca. Delta and the interest in it and its fisheries begins to degrade quite a bit. It's a local battle that has State-wide implications. Fact to the matter is that folks care more about water than the fishery. Quite understandable if you put yourself in the shoes of millions of non-delta fishing California citizens. Most folks give credence to the economics and overall need for water before they will support the striper fishery. And in my critical thinking, I ask myself the same question - is the striper fishery more important than the needs of water for agriculture and my fellow citizens? Of course my thoughts are completely biased, but the reality is that most folks in the State care about water a lot more than stripers.
    HKSLAYS MULTIMEDIA FISHING

8. Likes Waterdog, wckid, Trickytrucker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got mixed thoughts on this.

Broad stroke - It's clear that these fish have become a political football - the proverbial "straw-fish" that politicians and stakeholders need to fuel and prevail in their arguments. As anglers, we have a front-row seat to the state of the fishery, and you don't need to be too long in the tooth to see the changes that have occurred. My own anecdote would be this - I've been full time striper fishing for 15 years. In the beginning, it seemed I knew less and caught more...and better grade on average. Spots that could be heavily relied upon to produce season after season have for the most part, vanished. These days, it takes quite a bit of effort and tenacity to find fish. Even during the run periods it seems like its a lot harder to find schools. That said, there are still days that produce similar fishing to what once was, but they have become fewer and farther between.

Tons of other variables to consider as well, including my reduced free time to go after them. The cyclic nature of any fishery must also be considered, and the things that effect the natural cycle of these fish. Some of the variables are easy to acknowledge - water, being one of those.

On a more human level, its truly a "David and Goliath" tale. The opposition, which includes special interests colluding with the State, wages the battle with a war chest that dwarfs our grass roots effort, and the strategy of attrition is what will likely lead to them prevailing in this matter. I hate to sound like a cynic, but thats the truth of the matter. Sometimes, passion will prevail but I don't see it happening with this. This is standard strategy in any political playbook. I hope that I am wrong.

All that said, I will continue to fish for stripers because of the fun and challenge. I will do what I can to promote good conservation practices - I've always been a striper CNR guy. The lack of availability does provide for an increase in the "challenge" department - I am going to make that a "positive," and when I do have some success, its all the sweeter.

Despite the lack of abundance, striped bass are prolific in our waterways. I'd suffice to say that eradication would be virtually impossible. We can definitely see this reduction in the fishery continue, but me thinks they will be around for the foreseeable future.
    HKSLAYS MULTIMEDIA FISHING

11. Likes AnglingWes, Waterdog, wckid, Paintguy liked this post
    Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I not think weíve seen the end, but I donít think it will ever be what it used to be, unless they stop pumping water from the Delta. There is a correlation between increased pumping and declining striper and Salmon numbers that canít denied, and anyone who spent time fishing the Delta 30-40-50 years ago knows this.

However, on the bright side, I have seen a huge change these last 10 years in attitude from a lot of fisherman regarding CnR, especially of the larger breeding fish. Iíve seen a lot of self imposed slot limits, because the meat I still better for consumption and itís better for the species. As pointed out by fishwrong2, before calling it quits, give the anglers a chance to adjust as has become the exampl with LMB...but hopefully not to the crazy extent

~RNP

13. Likes Hamachi_Kama, wckid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CRABBY View Post
    Hey now,don't ya'll worry we'll still have the scourge of our waterways everybodys favorite lol......CARP....
    Carp big ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...........

15. Likes CRABBY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post

It probably will never be what it was, but it’s hard to imagine it will ever go away completely. Just need a little faith. My 2 cents.
    Totally agree.
    These were the norm back in the late 60's.

But now, we're really excited when keeper sizes are caught.

Crabby mentioned CARP but lets not forget the river Salmon run .

Striper will be around forever...at least during my life time
    Last edited by Seon; 03-08-2020 at 05:12 AM.

235 Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

17. Likes CRABBY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey now,don't ya'll worry we'll still have the scourge of our waterways everybodys favorite lol......CARP....
    Last edited by CRABBY; 03-08-2020 at 07:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast