Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Melones turkey

I know nothing about turkey hunting but last year about this time (I think) we saw a boat come in with two guys and turkeys in the boat. So I know it's done there by boat but I didn't talk to them.

Post Thanks / Like

I like fishing Melones, so thought it would be a nice addition. And keeps me at least 6’ from other people.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't hurt to give it a try, get some fishing in as well. Just remember that there is a lot of country that may or may not hold birds. Narrowing it down can be difficult. I've also found that public land birds seem to wander and are tougher to pattern than private land birds. Also, I'm no turkey hunting expert or anything just some of my observations.

Post Thanks / Like

I figured on foot, but boat in to an area, that is not hunted much.

Post Thanks / Like

It can be done, but it is tough to find them at the right place at the right time. I'll put it to you this way, I think I've got better chances out of the truck or on foot than on the water, but then again that's my $0.02.

6. Likes MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had flocks of them through the Glory Hole campgrounds last spring. You can’t hunt in the rec area which extends quite as way as I understand it. Pretty sure the trick is more finding legal areas as the birds are fairly thick in that area. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

New Melones turkey

Not fishing really. Thinking of taking the shotgun when fishing New Melones when turkey season opens. Anyone ever hunted there? Areas?