Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: We found hundreds of fish but we can't catch it ?

might be some salmon going to go up the feather.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry guys it's a lot harder than I think. I wanted to post the 33 ldr. but it seem like I have to subscribe to the Verizon Data Service first.

Post Thanks / Like

We are planning to come back with bull heads, bloodworms and more pile worms. I should post the pic of the 33 lbr that was pulled from that same spot. That hole is where the deepwater channel meet the shallow part. Let me see if I can transfer the pic from my cel phone when I took the pic of the guy told me the spot. He caught it last Friday. It will be a challenge to transfer the pic since my phone don't have internet access. I think I can do it. Let me sleep over it

Post Thanks / Like

The best marks are the ones that I call pimples, this is when the fish have their belly right on the bottom and you don't even see daylight below them. My go-to bait would be jumbo minnows. If they are stripers that you're graphing, you'll get bit. It very well could have been shad or salmon though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fish_or_die View Post
    Hi we used pile worm and they were hitting it really bad but we only landed 2 small ones. We also have sardines and they wont touch it. Closer to noon time they started hitting sardines too. I also have eel that day and they hit it when I was still fresh then left it alone afterwards. But on my fishfinder they passed by all day long most of the time 20+ fish and some schools too. I never saw my fishfinder with a school image before, the fish is on top of each other. I will be bringing liver & bloodworm too next time. I was at Garcia bend. Men I just got tired looking at all the fishes and trying to hook a keeper. Any suggestions? We also tried dropping yozuris with weights no luck!

Were you drifting???? I usually don't see a ton of fish when I am anchored up?? Maybe wrong on that...but I never see alot of fish that way or trolling shallow water (5-8ft)??? I agree with Sal.....might have been trash/grass??? Bait will always get hammered by baby Stripers in that area most of the year!!! But you never know...I caught a 30lb spawned out female on July 10th a few years back on Sardines!!!

RF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aka Seon View Post
    Unless you're trolling, I don't think dropping a Youzui with weights will catch a Striper.

I agree, the bottom feeders are the marks you want.

BTW the last time I trolled, I marked a lot, including bottom feeders but no takers. I logged about 50 miles before finding the right marks that would hit. Finally boated a couple or three keeper size then they stopped hitting. Total miles that day was over 70 miles so don't be discourage, you'll get the right combo sooner or later.
    One of the things I like about trolling is when you see the "right kind" of marks on the sonar, and then tell whomever it is your fishing with to "get ready." a few seconds later, fish on! Doesn't always work out that way, but it's cool when said person asks, "how'd you know?" My intial response is always the same...I say "its magic, brother." ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fish_or_die View Post
    ... We also tried dropping yozuris with weights no luck!
    Unless you're trolling, I don't think dropping a Youzui with weights will catch a Striper.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamachi_Kamas View Post
    ... The marks you want to pay attention to are those close to the bottom - feeders. You'll know the "right kind" when you see them.
    I agree, the bottom feeders are the marks you want.

BTW the last time I trolled, I marked a lot, including bottom feeders but no takers. I logged about 50 miles before finding the right marks that would hit. Finally boated a couple or three keeper size then they stopped hitting. Total miles that day was over 70 miles so don't be discourage, you'll get the right combo sooner or later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_ONE View Post
    Carp doesn't bite pileworms, sardines, and eels. If a Sacramento Pike Minnow bites, you will have a fish on for sure even if your using a 10/0. They will swallow that $!#@ no doubt. Good luck finding shad around Garcia Bend around this time of year. Catfish will swallow it too. I think there is a difference between shakers yanking your pole comparing to your line/sinkers getting caught up in debris.

Sal is referring to the debris you'll see on sonar. Hard to say what the OP saw on his FF since none of us were there, but it could be alot of things, including other species of fish.

With regard to striper, a man who knows this stuff suggested to me to not pay much attention to the fish you see in the middle of the water column. Those are transitory fish on a mission to get somewhere. The marks you want to pay attention to are those close to the bottom - feeders. You'll know the "right kind" when you see them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler1 View Post
    Did you happen to have your fish finder on fish image ?
    If so, you were watching dirt & grass flow by.
    The fish image mode on your f f is totally useless.
    It shows thermoclines as fish, grass as fish, dirt or sand clouds as fish, & right on down the line, but people never seem to catch any of those so called fish when they use that mode.
    Don't think that every blip or image is a Striper on your sonar, as they could be 1 of many species of fish, including carp, sacramento pike, sqaw fish,shad, & catfish, which show up just like Stripers on the sonar.
    Sal
    Carp doesn't bite pileworms, sardines, and eels. If a Sacramento Pike Minnow bites, you will have a fish on for sure even if your using a 10/0. They will swallow that $!#@ no doubt. Good luck finding shad around Garcia Bend around this time of year. Catfish will swallow it too. I think there is a difference between shakers yanking your pole comparing to your line/sinkers getting caught up in debris.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: We found hundreds of fish but we can't catch it ?

Did you happen to have your fish finder on fish image ?
    If so, you were watching dirt & grass flow by.
    The fish image mode on your f f is totally useless.
    It shows thermoclines as fish, grass as fish, dirt or sand clouds as fish, & right on down the line, but people never seem to catch any of those so called fish when they use that mode.
    Don't think that every blip or image is a Striper on your sonar, as they could be 1 of many species of fish, including carp, sacramento pike, sqaw fish,shad, & catfish, which show up just like Stripers on the sonar.
    Sal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast