Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any recommendations for gearing up my new fishing boat?

CS, Yeah, good deal. It's no fun to buy everything at once anyway - then those catalogs that come to the House from BPS and Cabelas, Sportsman's Guide, Gander Mountain etc...don't mean anything. It's fun to add on as the years go by and get exactly what you want. In my case, I bought a brand new boat that was outfitted and I was very fortunate.
    It is still fun though to look at improvements that we can all make to improve our odds while fishing.

I forgot to tell you that my Origingal Lowrance X-25 Depth Finder (Head) was cracked (in the past few years) and the pixels started disappearing from the left side, so it was hard to tell if it was 15ft, 25ft, 35 ft, etc.....so I found a new (Head) on EBAY and didn't have to re-wire or re-mount anything. That was a pretty sweet find. Don't overlook EBAY for some cool, hard to find stuff.

Tight Lines, Big Game
    Fishing Defined: A Jerk on one end of a line waiting for a Jerk on the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input Big Game....I have yet to get it out on the water, but am trying to head out to start the break-in process tomorrow.

I picked up a Hummingbird yesterday and installed it this morning.....installed a battery charging unit as well and now just need to pick up the down rigger. I am thinking that I want to get a manual scotty and if I like/dislike it, I can either get another manual or pick up an electric one for the 2nd unit.

I am looking into getting a third battery as it would be nice to set it up like yours on a Perko....better safe than sorry on the water.

I'm getting anxious to hit the water tomorrow!

Thanks,

J
    2011 F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 Candy Apple Red
    2011 Lund 1625 Rebel XL Sport 60HP Honda white

Post Thanks / Like

CS,

Congrats on the Fishing Boat. I am sure you will have a lot of fun with it. You will probably get lots of response on this topic, but here's my input for what it's worth. My Fisher 16ft Welded Fish N Ski came stock with Scotty's on the back
    One is Manual, One is Electric and I am very happy with them. I have a Motorguide Trolling Motor mounted on the front
    for Bass Fishing and it's great. I have (3) Batteries - (1) for the Trolling Motor, A Reserve and a main with a Perko switch. My Pedestal seats can be moved around the boat depending on what type of fishing I am doing. I also made a butcher block bait table that is mounded on a pedestal and I put it in the back when I am trolling and it kicks butt.
    I also have (4) Scotty Rod holders - (2) on the Bow, (2) on the stern - they have a roll-over lock that works great.
    I just got an e-mail from www.fish307.com a few weeks ago and they had downriggers on sale - maybe you should check them out. Sorry for all the ramblin' - I hope this helps you.

Tight Lines, Big Game
    Fishing Defined: A Jerk on one end of a line waiting for a Jerk on the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your insight Old School....I picked up a 55lb Motorguide trolling motor for the bow, which was a good deal for the mid level unit it is, but will work for now. I am deciding between a Hummingbird 597 ci HD DI or a Lowrance HDS5 this week and will push out the down-riggers for the next round.

I am looking forward to breaking in the new boat this week I hope!

-J

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new boat. I guess u have to prioritize what u need. Consider what season is coming and what you will be fishing for first. Probably the sounder/fish finder is at the top of the list. I'm no expert but lot of people talking bout the Furuno units with airman transducers. I wish I could afford one. Prob go Scotty elec down riggers/ rod holders. Trolling motor is another story. Kicker or electric or both? Have fun. Old school

Post Thanks / Like

Hook Any recommendations for gearing up my new fishing boat?

First time poster on fishsniffer.

I just picked up a small aluminum fishing boat....Lund 1625 Rebel XL Sport with a Honda motor and want to see how I should outfit this boat for multi-species fishing. I fish locally in the Delta(Bass and Striper) and spend a lot of time at Fallen Leaf Lake(Mackinaw and Browns) and Lake Tahoe(Bass and Mack's). I have been fishing out of a ski boat for some time with no fishing amenities.

This is my first fishing boat and would want to outfit it with the best of everything right away, but reality says to do it in stages. I would appreciate any insight and direction, brands to consider and not to consider.

My initial thought is that I need the following:
    • Nice fish finder...maybe color/GPS
    • solid trolling motor
    • down riggers...(2)
    • Boat cover
    • added accessories for the boat
    • rod holders