Post Thanks / Like

Re: 6/21 Waiting game

Quote Originally Posted by buzzardsluck View Post
    Mattf: I am by no means a long time expert but I have caught on pretty quick this spring. You didn't say where you were fishing. We have had luck in almost all depths of water in susuin bay area. We have caught them on eel and sardines but 90% on the eel. I like to balance my rod and it is tough for me in the wind. you can tell the sturgeon bite because its a slow pull the will bounce back up like a catfish bounces down. 1 in ten bites is just a grab and its on. Tides seem to be very important, just before and just after a high or low tide. I think I would kill to get back out there but work is just to crazy. Good luck..

buzzard
    I've been trying in the Napa River. Montezuma Slough is pretty close as well maybe ill try my eel over there. I don't think i've read many dino's being caught on eel in Napa. I think after i see/feel my first bite i'll be able to set my rod down and just watch it. I'm glad no one has told me to use bells, i hate those things haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Mattf: I am by no means a long time expert but I have caught on pretty quick this spring. You didn't say where you were fishing. We have had luck in almost all depths of water in susuin bay area. We have caught them on eel and sardines but 90% on the eel. I like to balance my rod and it is tough for me in the wind. you can tell the sturgeon bite because its a slow pull the will bounce back up like a catfish bounces down. 1 in ten bites is just a grab and its on. Tides seem to be very important, just before and just after a high or low tide. I think I would kill to get back out there but work is just to crazy. Good luck..

buzzard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishWisher View Post
    ...but when you do hold the rod, you can swing faster than the fella who has to grab it first! And I suggest free spool with the clicker on. Then a tick-tick-tick of a few inches means set the hook! Good luck, and thanks for letting us know folks are still trying. This board has been awful quiet lately.
    Same result today as yesterday. Maybe next time ill try ghost shrimp.

Post Thanks / Like

...but when you do hold the rod, you can swing faster than the fella who has to grab it first! And I suggest free spool with the clicker on. Then a tick-tick-tick of a few inches means set the hook! Good luck, and thanks for letting us know folks are still trying. This board has been awful quiet lately.
    Dale ...held in Kalifornistan against my will.

Fishing Site: www.FishWisher.com
    RV Site: http://CoachPotatosRVsite.synthasite.com/

I've got...

Post Thanks / Like

No need to hold the rod even in windy condition. When they bite, you can differentiate it between a bite and the wind blowing your rod tip and line around. It just look unusual when they bite. There will be a crisp pull, the rod will jump like a happy kid at the candy shop, lightly tap which you should be able to see, or the line goes totally slack without the sinker drifting anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

6/21 Waiting game

After seeing sturgeon jump and finally seeing one pulled in yesterday i just had to try. Today was my first real attempt to catch a dino. Fished the incoming tide this afternoon, holding my rod the whole time because i couldnt tell if there was a bite with all the wind. Plus i like to feel the nibble. Around me people were pulling in shakers which is more fun than what i was doing. But i was persistent and kept on fishing, i mean waiting. 2 hours and one odd tap-tap that was very light, then nothing. For the next 4 hours, nothing. So i called it a day .. But there is something exciting about targeting sturgeon that i cant explain, but im sure you all know how i feel. Hopefully the feeling of hooking up a dino is as awesome as it seems!

Tomorrow i will be out there again, just waiting.