Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: What is your go to "cheap" mono?

Re: What is your go to "cheap" mono?

Bass pro shops mono... U can get a giant roll for really cheap and its comparible to trilene xxl which I normally use

Sent from my SCH-R920 using Tapatalk 2

Ande all the way. If the knot isn't perfect I retie. I landed an eighty pound soup fin from the shore with a 25# ande leader and 100# spider wire stealth mainline. Abrasion resistance and shock strength were obviously no problem.

I used to use pline cxx line on all my rigs but last year I moved to this copolymer stuff. Tough as freakn nails! On rocks, open water, rivers, lakes. All over. Works amazing and just freakn tough.

Caught my first keeper lingcod on 10lb test. Fish fought amazingly through rocks and I had no problems landing the fish.

http://bit.ly/1kFtlwz

Pick your line strength...

Izorline gets my pick if you like Maxima.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_ONE View Post
    All these fishing lines and no one talks about Ande...I feel hurt.

I know Ande has a lot of world records to its name and if I'm not mistaken has the most world records, but I've only used it once and had terrible experiences with it. I bought a spool of 12# and it had tons of memory, it was stiff, the line warped a little when tying knots, and it didn't seem to be all that abrasion resistant. Now for big game blue water palagics I don't think much of any of that is an issue because of the giant conventional reels, memory shouldn't be much of a problem, warping when tying knots is propably not an issue because of the use of crimps, and abrasion resistance not much of an issue because all yhe open water verses fishing in a river with rocks, wood, and all the other stuff line rubs against. Just my opinion, but not a great line for me.

Big game is still at the top of my list and then izorline platinum for cheaper lines.

My favorite, which is really not too much more expensive than the cheap stuff and is well worth the money is pline cxx and izorline xxx copolymer
    Think like a fish!

All these fishing lines and no one talks about Ande...I feel hurt.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by sgs1 View Post
    I used to go for nothing but the best but to tell you the truth, there isn't one heck of a lot of difference. The differences can be found in magazines and in manufacturers claims but the reality is that only a very few very picky fishermen will ever be able to tell.

I now run Trilene or Izorline and I don't change it unless I notice a problem. So far I haven't but I keep extra fresh reels onboard just in case.
    I've started using Izorline thanks to some recommendations from fellow sniffers and I'm very impressed with it. It's comparable to Maxima at a fraction of the cost. The abrasion resistance is great, I've landed several large salmon on it this season with no issue.
    Fishing, it's cheaper than therapy!

Quote Originally Posted by 49erbassman View Post
    Believe it or not omniflex by zebco is pretty damn good. I used the 8,10 and 12# before. Used 10# for leader material steelie fishing this year with no issues, Landed a 15# one on it. I also use it on my kids bass rods and it holds up really good. They even make a braided line.
    I've used Omniflex for small species of fish and on my daughters pole many times. It's not a bad line and is SUPER cheap.
    Fishing, it's cheaper than therapy!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ef9boy88 View Post
    Ya it's funny too because when I bought the izorline it was from bass prowhile I was buying a reel to replace one the mysteriously broke I was looking at a more expensive line and the guy talked me into izorline so I bought a big spool.
    Pretty much the same with me. I was trying to find something that would hold up better for the long run and the Izorline was what they offered. I get it in 1100 yard spools of 12lb which is what I commonly run. For the tests I did, I was running 12 and 8 lb lines.

Ya it's funny too because when I bought the izorline it was from bass prowhile I was buying a reel to replace one the mysteriously broke I was looking at a more expensive line and the guy talked me into izorline so I bought a big spool.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast