Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Any lost Dinos?

Re: Any lost Dinos?

2.06. Use of Gaffs.

No person shall possess or use a gaff in inland waters, except that a gaff three feet or less in length may be used to land legal-sized fish only by anglers fishing from a boat in the Sacramento River main stem below Deschutes Road Bridge.

5.80. White Sturgeon.

• (a) Open season: All year, except for closures listed under special regulations.
    • (b) Daily and annual bag limit: One fish per day. Three fish per year statewide.
    • (c) Size limit: No fish less than 46 inches total length or greater than 66 inches total length may be taken or possessed.
    • (d) Methods of take: The sturgeon must voluntarily take the bait or lure in its mouth. No sturgeon may be taken by trolling, snagging or by the use of firearms. Sturgeon may not be gaffed, nor shall any person use any type of firearm to assist in landing or killing any sturgeon.
    • (e) Report card required: Any person fishing for or taking sturgeon shall have in their possession a nontransferable Sturgeon Fishing Report Card issued by DFG and shall adhere to all reporting and tagging requirements for sturgeon defined in Sections 1.74 and 5.79, Title 14, CCR.
    • (f) Special North Coast District Sturgeon Closure (Humboldt, Del Norte, Trinity and Siskiyou cos.). It is unlawful to take any sturgeon in the North Coast District at any time.
    • (g) For regulations on take and possession of sturgeon in ocean waters as defined in Section 27.00, see Sections 27.90, 27.91, and 27.95.
    • (h) Special Sierra and Valley District Sturgeon Closure from January 1 to December 31 (Shasta, Tehama and Glenn cos.).
      • (1) It is unlawful to fish for any sturgeon on the Sacramento River from Keswick Dam to the Highway 162 Bridge.
      • (2) It is unlawful to use wire leaders.
      • (3) It is unlawful to use lamprey or any type of shrimp as bait.

Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations - Fishing Methods and Gear Restrictions

Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations - Species Regulations 5.65-5.95
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Any lost Dinos?

A while back when that video was posted about that charter boat that gaffed a sturgeon in Rio vista without knowing the size of it. I actually talked to a DFG guy on phone as about the email I had sent them about the video. He said you could have a gaff on a boat 3 ft or less in length but not use them on Dino's. Still have that DFG guys number too he works the Rio areas. Guys name was Brandon. Said to call him anytime with any questions. Seemed like a cool dude

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NorthHighlands916 View Post
    Thats how they get you. "Not knowing the law is not an excuse" Bam! 500+ fine.

It's my understanding that it IS legal to posess and use a small gaff (less than 3 feet) for legal sized stripers (for example) in the main stem of the Sacramento river. The regs do specify that you cannot use a gaff on sturgeon. But there are no such specifications for striper. I've never used a gaff anywhere in the delta, but I know of guys who do use them, for stripers only, in the sac river around Pittsburgh and evidently they are abiding by the law. Read the regs carefully. I've also noticed in reading very carefully that the size limit on your leaders, which I always interpreted as being a minimum of 18", does not apply to where I fish either...

• Maximum Gaps and Gear Rigging for Rivers and Streams unless otherwise provided (does not apply to lakes and reservoirs, the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta (see Section 1.71 for definition of the Delta), and the Colorado River).
      • 1. No person shall use any single hook with a gap greater than 1 inch or any multiple hook with a gap greater than 3/4 inch.
      • 2. It is unlawful to use any hook which is directly or indirectly attached closer than 18 inches to any weight exceeding 1/2 ounce.
      • 3. It is unlawful to use any multiple hook or more than one single hook on non-buoyant lures exceeding one ounce.
      • 4. It is unlawful to use any weight directly attached below a hook.

• (c) Maximum Gaps for the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta (see Section 1.71 for definition of the Delta).
      • 1. No person shall use any single hook with a gap greater than 1 inch or any multiple hook with a gap greater than 3/4 inch.

This is not to say I'm 100% correct. There are always regulations in section blah blah blah that contradict other info. But show me where I'm incorrect... I'm sincerely curious.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by seaniken View Post
    Where did you find those hooks? I'd like to give them a shot. I'm currently using my Owner SST's and K hooks with smashed barbs. But these look like they may hold fish a little better.
    I found them at Freeport Bait a few months ago

Images

Quote Originally Posted by seaniken View Post
    No gaff used on sturgeon... These regs can be tough to interpret!
    Thats how they get you. "Not knowing the law is not an excuse" Bam! 500+ fine.

Gaff is illegal to be on board or in possession with inland waters at all times. And it's also illegal to use a gaff on a sturgeon, whether your inland or not.
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Images

No gaff used on sturgeon... These regs can be tough to interpret!

Images

Now correct me if I'm wrong... And I'm sure I have to be wrong but am I reading this correctly?

"No person shall possess or use a gaff in inland waters, except that a gaff three feet or less in length may be used to land legal-sized fish only by anglers fishing from a boat in the Sacramento River main stem below Deschutes Road Bridge."

Does this mean I could legally use a small gaff on sturgeon, striper, whatever, as long as its legal size and caught in the main stem of the sac river (rio vista)? But I can't use a snare for legal fish? Makes sense...

Slayer of Fish

Any lost Dinos?

They did it with gaffs

I bet DFW puts into the regs that snares are illeagal in boats in inland waters......you watch!!

RF

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast