2.06. Use of Gaffs.
No person shall possess or use a gaff in inland waters, except that a gaff three feet or less in length may be used to land legal-sized fish only by anglers fishing from a boat in the Sacramento River main stem below Deschutes Road Bridge.
5.80. White Sturgeon.
- (a) Open season: All year, except for closures listed under special regulations.
- (b) Daily and annual bag limit: One fish per day. Three fish per year statewide.
- (c) Size limit: No fish less than 46 inches total length or greater than 66 inches total length may be taken or possessed.
- (d) Methods of take: The sturgeon must voluntarily take the bait or lure in its mouth. No sturgeon may be taken by trolling, snagging or by the use of firearms. Sturgeon may not be gaffed, nor shall any person use any type of firearm to assist in landing or killing any sturgeon.
- (e) Report card required: Any person fishing for or taking sturgeon shall have in their possession a nontransferable Sturgeon Fishing Report Card issued by DFG and shall adhere to all reporting and tagging requirements for sturgeon defined in Sections 1.74 and 5.79, Title 14, CCR.
- (f) Special North Coast District Sturgeon Closure (Humboldt, Del Norte, Trinity and Siskiyou cos.). It is unlawful to take any sturgeon in the North Coast District at any time.
- (g) For regulations on take and possession of sturgeon in ocean waters as defined in Section 27.00, see Sections 27.90, 27.91, and 27.95.
- (h) Special Sierra and Valley District Sturgeon Closure from January 1 to December 31 (Shasta, Tehama and Glenn cos.).
- (1) It is unlawful to fish for any sturgeon on the Sacramento River from Keswick Dam to the Highway 162 Bridge.
- (2) It is unlawful to use wire leaders.
- (3) It is unlawful to use lamprey or any type of shrimp as bait.
Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations - Fishing Methods and Gear Restrictions
Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations - Species Regulations § 5.65-5.95