Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: wire leader

Re: wire leader

The problem I have with heavy mono leaders is it gets hard to tie good knots, some people say use mono crimps. If I'm going to use crimps it's going to be on wire. It's strong and weighs more which helps keep your bait on the bottom.
    Fishing, it's cheaper than therapy!

Switched to 60# mono years ago for my sturgeon leaders and love it. I've seen some guys use up to 100# mono with no ill effects

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_M View Post
    Wire leaders are still fine to use, just make sure it's attached to a single barbless hook.

Snares regardless of what they are made of are now illegal. Large nets, cradles, and grabbing it with your bare hands are still approved methods for landing/boating a sturgeon. Be careful things get a little gray when it comes to oversized sturgeon, possibly undersized as well.
    That crap #$%^ hurts like hell! It's like cutting yourself and squirting some lemon juice and salt into your cut wounds. Mother %^&*#!!!
    Oh wait...are you talking about the handling part of the fish without getting cited? LOL!!!
    Last edited by BIG_ONE; 09-17-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: I'm lost...
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by rodzilla408 View Post
    That what I don't get why would bass pro shop sell wire leader that say for sturgeon with a single barless hook.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Wire leaders with a single barbless hook is perfectly legal. If it is anything with two hooks or barbed hooks, then it is no longer legal...
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Wire leaders are still fine to use, just make sure it's attached to a single barbless hook.

Snares regardless of what they are made of are now illegal. Large nets, cradles, and grabbing it with your bare hands are still approved methods for landing/boating a sturgeon. Be careful things get a little gray when it comes to oversized sturgeon, possibly undersized as well.
    Fishing, it's cheaper than therapy!

Yea you right. I just sent a email to dfg ... but if one person said yes and the other said no. Well I'm leaning towards no. Haha ..then what do you recommend for a leader for this fish

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rodzilla408 View Post
    That what I don't get why would bass pro shop sell wire leader that say for sturgeon with a single barless hook.

Just because a store sells it doesn't mean it's legal in Ca. Most big stores have locations in other states and they don't take the time to learn regs in each state....that's the fishermens job

Fish on!
    Always wishin I was fishin!

Not only the wire snare is illegal, but anything that wraps around the fish in assist of landing or just to hold the fish in the water is illegal.

Slayer of Fish

And only a single hook
    Insert witty line here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast