Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Re: Shasta lake Sturgeon

I hope the article is wrong about them not being able to spawn in Shasta. I thought the sturgeon in Shasta (and Oroville) were a self-sustaining population. There will never be an over-unbundance of them though due to the limited forage (IMO).

When I was a kid, my dad and I saw a live on feeding on a log at Lake Berriessa....we we trout fishing and had no idea what it was....about 6 feet long

we threw our trout lures at it....alass the big one got away

I saw one jump in front of me up the Pit arm in the spring of '06. Was about a 4 footer, about 50 feet away from me, so I think my size estimate to be at least ballpark. The article says they are all left overs from planters, but I am not sure, as a 4 footer would seem to be a more recently spawned individual?

M

I can't help it!!!
    [smiley=gorgeous.gif] [smiley=rollingstones.gif]
    [smiley=worm.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by crowbar1
    [quote author=FishWisher link=1241753279/15#16 date=1241890384]Good grief!! Can you imagine living to 100 years old... and NO SPAWNING?!?! * ;D

Dale
    [smiley=tongue2.gif] [smiley=cheerleader.gif] [smiley=chowtime.gif][/quote]

Crowbar you horn ball. Hahaha! ;D

Super Moderator
    Images

I'm not so sure they don't spawn at Shasta...All they need is a firm bottom and moving water.....They've got that at the headwaters of all the lake's major tributaries....I've marked several sturgeon on my sonar while fishing the lake over the years, particularly in the Pit River Arm....

Quote Originally Posted by FishWisher
    Good grief!! Can you imagine living to 100 years old... and NO SPAWNING?!?! * ;D

Dale
    [smiley=tongue2.gif] [smiley=cheerleader.gif] [smiley=chowtime.gif]

Good grief!! Can you imagine living to 100 years old... and NO SPAWNING?!?! ;D

Dale

Dale ...held in Kalifornistan against my will.

Fishing Site: www.FishWisher.com
    RV Site: http://CoachPotatosRVsite.synthasite.com/

I've got...

I wonder when the last confirmed report of a sturg in folsom was. I would be real surprised oif there were any in there.

my mom hooked into one about 5 years ago but lost it

I've seen a monster at Shasta Lake up the squaw arm that would make that one look like a baby. It came about half way out of the water and when it fell back in, it made a splash like a huge cabin cruiser. Had to be close to 400 pounds, if I were to reach around it with both arms I wouldn't be able to touch fingers. I've also seen pictures at Silverthorn Resort of smaller sturgeon 4' to 5' which were caught in the lake by a redding sporting goods store owner and his friend. This was about 10 years ago. The last sighting of sturgeon in Folsom Lake, I can remember, was about 10 years ago. There was a news crew called to lake natoma, where a rider on the bike trail spotted a live but badly hurt sturgeon floating near shore. It was suspected that the sturgeon came thru the Dam where it sustained it's injuries. I worked with a guy who saw it before the news crew showed up and he told me it was about 4' to 5' long. This to me would indicate that they are spawning, unless of course someone planted it in the lake.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast