Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Images

Re: How to use eel for bait?

Based on how long eel lasts (I've caught 3 keepers on a single 2 inch fillet) I think it is one of the cheapest baits to be had. You have a pretty good initial investment, but nothing else seems to eat it. It also keeps really well....If you go fishing a half dozen times with grass shrimp you'll easily spend more than you spend for eel. Everything tries to eat it and if you save the left over shrimp they get all black and nasty.....
    Finally and this is my favorite thing about eel, when you get hit on it you generally get a good series of strong pumps, none of that tap tap tap bussiness.....Just my thoughts, Cal Kellogg

Quote Originally Posted by chicofishrmen
    Hope this isn't a dumb arse ? *but I'll ask it anyways. Has anyone tried lamprey? We used to catch them in the American river (don't ask why, let's just say we used them in a prank against our rival high school btw, they don't like chlorine! ) They are native to system so I would think they would work....We would just grab them in the shallows, but I think you could set out a crawdad trap w/liver and catch some.
    That would be the eel we speak of..... :
    Dog

"I dont drink these days...I am allergic to alcohol and narcotics...I break out in handcuffs..."
    Robert Downey Jr.

I'm just wondering if if filets of monkey face eel would work as bait. I never seen or used them for bait before.

The way I use it is I cut about a 3 inch piece. Then cut that one in half horizontaly. Then I take it and lay it flat and cut about one inch groves in it, when I'm done the grooves look like squid tentacles. Then I just put the hook through once and spray some anise on it. I learned this from Berry of the Fish Hookers on a seminar he did a few years back at the ISE show. This stuff will last forever. The eel is almost as tough as midshipmen wich is used for sharks. There is a baitshop in San Rafael I can't remember the name of it but they sell Lamprey Eel for $9, so every year when I go out there I buy one. The only time you need to check the eel is when you spray it with more anise. The catfish never messed with mine. Mayeve flounder and stripers but never catfish. The eel is almost as tough as midshipmen wich is used for sharks. Hope that helps.

Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by chicofishrmen
    Hope this isn't a dumb arse ? *but I'll ask it anyways. Has anyone tried lamprey? We used to catch them in the American river (don't ask why, let's just say we used them in a prank against our rival high school btw, they don't like chlorine! ) They are native to system so I would think they would work....We would just grab them in the shallows, but I think you could set out a crawdad trap w/liver and catch some.
    Not dumb at all, that is the eel of choice, lamprey is a great bait.Some places sell the pacific eel.But lamprey is the way to go ;D ;D BTW i believe the eel from washington is lamprey as well ;D

Hope this isn't a dumb arse ? but I'll ask it anyways. Has anyone tried lamprey? We used to catch them in the American river (don't ask why, let's just say we used them in a prank against our rival high school btw, they don't like chlorine! ) They are native to system so I would think they would work....We would just grab them in the shallows, but I think you could set out a crawdad trap w/liver and catch some.

Actually, I was installing the phone lines out there right as the ramp was opening for public use. How many years ago was that? Anyway, here I am working, talking to guys as they are coming in from fishing, and this one guy has a nice keeper sturgeon. He said that it was one of his many that he caught in Monte using eel. This was the first time I had heard of eel. He told me about how hardy it was and that you could reuse it over & over again. Even told me where his spot was. I went out that Saturday and that was where I caught the striper and shaker sturgeon. When I took my son there, it was dead. *Soon as the tide started to go out, we saw a strugeon jumping out of the water a ways down. I pulled anchor, moved down there guessing where to stop. About 15 minutes later, there was a fish on. The darn thing wrapped around the anchor line right after I tied a bumper on it and we started to drift. We got it onboard. It popped his sturgeon cherry

Don't know if it is true, but I talked to a fisherman who said that the more expensive eel ($25) is from washington/Oregon(?), whereas the cheaper eel is from the rivers locally (upper Sacramento River(??)). If I remember right, they are different species. He swore that the out of state eel worked better. This was a couple of years ago. If I also remember right, there was some talk about banning the out of state eel, because it was being harvested too much. The first time I bought it, the cost was around $23. I took it out to Monte and caught a 24" (or so ) striper, and a 28'(or so) sturgeon. I thought "hot dog, what a killer bait". The next time I used it in Monte about a month later, I did not have a bite, and my son caught his first keeper sturgeon on jpgs. He didn't even want to try the eel. I used it a bunch of times later with no success. I haven't bought it since. It does last a long time. The only thing is that it gets nastier each time you thaw it out and then refreeze it. If I bought some again, I would probably cut it in half, vacuum seal half of it for use in 6 months, and use half of it now.

KE,
    I'll back you on that lasting 1 or2 years
    & good bait for sturgeon
    Paul
    Lonewolf

yeah it is real tuff they are not lying when they say they can reuse it over and over and over. i have had it stay on when caougt a 22 inch striper. the shakers will rob u of everything else but the eal. pluss the stuff smells pretty bad. plus it is real slimy too, sharp knife a little cussing at it and whammo, clean hook for a new piece. the stuff is very derable, usually take piece and pu**** up unto the cable leader and that way it allows room for the grass,gohst,pile roe combos to go on the hook, you can also force scent into the eal so it leaks out over the bait itself as well. just my two

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast