Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sturgeon leader info

Re: Sturgeon leader info

Double hooks rigs are intended to be Grass Shrimp rigs but I use them for everything. I figure it gives you a second chance especially with Grass shrimp, which will come off with just a single tap.
    I also always hang the slider on the rig itself, 18” from the hook on a 48 “ leader. Because of the areas we generally fish for Sturgeon (sandy or muddy bottom), at least in the Delta and Bay snagging is rarely an issue. It’s been my experience that when you do snag it’s usually the hook snagging a lost anchor rope. Found a lot of anchors that way. Probably more of an issue up river though.

Just my 2 cents on mono leaders:

I use a Perfection Loop knot on the both ends of a leader that I make out of 60lbs Maxima mono leader material.

It works great, and I was ablle to land an oversize fish of the bank, as boating a 80-pounder on a 15lbs main mono.

I use a coastlock-snapswivel attached to a main below a bead and sinker slider.

1 or 2 beads depending on a preference, a leader looks the same as a wire leader, with an exception of second loop that goes on coastalsnap-swivel.

For a single hook rig, you can either tie a regular hook knot or use a perfection loop with a couple of beads.

Quote Originally Posted by doneli View Post
    wire and shrimp baits are not allowed as defined on the section "h" only.

(h) Special Sierra and Valley District Sturgeon Closure from January 1 to December 31 (Shasta, Tehama and Glenn cos.).
    • (1) It is unlawful to fish for any sturgeon on the Sacramento River from Keswick Dam to the Highway 162 Bridge.
    • (2) It is unlawful to use wire leaders.
    • (3) It is unlawful to use lamprey or any type of shrimp as bait.

Thank you for that clarification. I was thinking WTF? No wire, No shrimp, No guns (kidding)....Don

wire and shrimp baits are not allowed as defined on the section "h" only.

(h) Special Sierra and Valley District Sturgeon Closure from January 1 to December 31 (Shasta, Tehama and Glenn cos.).
    • (1) It is unlawful to fish for any sturgeon on the Sacramento River from Keswick Dam to the Highway 162 Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by seaurchint View Post
    to person that posted that he uses wire leaders, don't get caught it is illegal to use wire per d f g regs. also I hav to double check on the no shrimp of any kind !!

It all depends on where you are fishing.

5.80. White Sturgeon.

• (a) Open season: All year, except for closures listed under special regulations.
    • (b) Daily and annual bag limit: One fish per day. Three fish per year statewide.
    • (c) Size limit: No fish less than 46 inches total length or greater than 66 inches total length may be taken or possessed.
    • (d) Methods of take: The sturgeon must voluntarily take the bait or lure in its mouth. No sturgeon may be taken by trolling, snagging or by the use of firearms. Sturgeon may not be gaffed, nor shall any person use any type of firearm to assist in landing or killing any sturgeon.
    • (e) Report card required: Any person fishing for or taking sturgeon shall have in their possession a nontransferable Sturgeon Fishing Report Card issued by the department and shall adhere to all reporting and tagging requirements for sturgeon defined in Sections 1.74 and 5.79, Title 14, CCR.
    • (f) Special North Coast District Sturgeon Closure (Humboldt, Del Norte, Trinity and Siskiyou cos.). It is unlawful to take any sturgeon in the North Coast District at any time.
    • (g) For regulations on take and possession of sturgeon in ocean waters as defined in Section 27.00, see Sections 27.90, 27.91, and 27.95.
    • (h) Special Sierra and Valley District Sturgeon Closure from January 1 to December 31 (Shasta, Tehama and Glenn cos.).

5.81. Green Sturgeon.

• (a) Green sturgeon may not be taken or possessed.
    • (b) Green sturgeon taken and released incidentally to white sturgeon fishing shall be reported on a Sturgeon Fishing Report Card issued by the department, in accordance with procedures defined in Sections 1.74 and 5.79, Title 14, CCR.
    • (c) Special Sierra and Valley District Sturgeon Closure from January 1 to December 31 (Shasta, Tehama and Glenn cos.).

Fishing, it's cheaper than therapy!

to person that posted that he uses wire leaders, don't get caught it is illegal to use wire per d f g regs. also I hav to double check on the no shrimp of any kind !!

Images

I use 65# power pro as my main line and use 80# power pro as leader with a single hook. I like the owner 8/0 hooks and have been very happy with the PP leader. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by oceansprint View Post
    All the info is great, but no single hook rigs are addresed.
    I only make single hook rigs when using mono, which I don't do that often. I have tied some using 80# Pline but was skeptical about the knots as I need some more practice tying knots with that large of line before trusting them. Until I get better I have been using wire and crimps, I know people say you get more hook ups with mono but I'm doing just fine with wire
    Fishing, it's cheaper than therapy!

I would agree with others about a dual hook having a more chance of getting a "hook set". I've had more missed hook ups with a single hook than a dual hook from my experience with sturgeon fishing. Their mouth works like a pump and when they're feeding, it constantly opens and closes when your bait is in their mouth. Which is why you find that your pole dances/jumps up & down and your line slacks instead of being slammed like a torpedo (it happens - but rarely in California). Don't get it wrong, a single hook definitely works great. But a ratio hook up with dual hook is just one fish above a single hook. And that one fish, can be your chance after a hard and long effort you've put in your time and money to get a chance with them. If you hate bait stealer - then use eels. Rarely does anything touches it...

All the info is great, but no single hook rigs are addresed.

I've seen guys using 2 hooks secures at 180 degrees, so they are opposite fixed (supposing a better hook set),

I don't buy it, as I know when you have a REGULAR rig with a variety of bait, and if THEy are biting, it's on!

So back to a single hook rig, whether it's eel, roe, or just bait saving conditions from bait steelers like small stripers, I want to hear what the board says.

I've witnessed 22 sturgeon caught (7 keepers), on a single mono tied leader in about 2.5 hrs back in a day (dec 30, 2004-5) with Mike Hernandez "Captain Hook". My luck was 3 shakers unfortunately, but single hook rig definately works.

As long as they are biting, it shouldn't be a matter.

Especially when using eel or roe it should make sense, when too many bait steelers are around.

Any other opinions on a subject?
    Last edited by oceansprint; 11-16-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast