Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Unusual trout tactics?

Blog Entries

Re: Unusual trout tactics?

Caught a few nice trout on TW lure (split image-Bill Dance special) in the spring at Melones ..
    Every job is a self portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your work with excellence.

While fishing Fuller lake with my grand daughters, they noticed I was threading worms on a #2 hook and casting them out. Sooooooooo they said I should be using Gummy worms so I did and caught a nice 3lb german brown and a 14" RBTrout. Too funny!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Trout will attack senkos, robo worms, swimbaits, and tons of other "bass" lures.
    Saw a kid tossing a 4" giztit tube on the AR.....just casting and cranking. Nailed a nice 16" native bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifted View Post
    I can't confirm whether the rattle makes crankbaits more or less effective for trout, but I once bought Rapala's from Cabela's with rattles in them since they were on sale, and I caught a bunch of fish on them at Caples.

Look at that, still on sale:

Cabela's: Rapala® X-Rap® Shad
    I caught a few on a jointed shad rap in bleeding olive last trip to amador!

I caught 3 beautiful trout in the Moke my last trip. 2 on Pile Worms and 1 on cut anchovies. All on a 1/0 hook. I had no idea they were there, and when I caught the first one, I had no idea I would catch more on those baits.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Trout don't mind rattles at all. Smaller rat-l-traps, rattling jerkbaits, rattling spoons all work. Have you ever heard a inline spinner? They are very loud underwater. If it imitates a baitfish a trout will eat it, so will any other fish that feeds on bait fish.

I use Carolina Clickers on my trolling gear at Pyramid, like Dodgers and Sling blades for flash they work for sound, it brings'em in.......Jetspray

Cabela's: Cabela's Carolina Ready Rigs

Bass Pro Shops® Carolina Shortcut Rig | Bass Pro Shops
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Trout don't mind rattles at all. Smaller rat-l-traps, rattling jerkbaits, rattling spoons all work. Have you ever heard a inline spinner? They are very loud underwater. If it imitates a baitfish a trout will eat it, so will any other fish that feeds on bait fish.
    A bad fisherman will leave trash and take fish.
    A good fisherman will leave fish and take trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Compassion View Post
    Watched a guy pull out a couple of nice Cutts at Pyramid on a Rattletrap.

CC
    I can't confirm whether the rattle makes crankbaits more or less effective for trout, but I once bought Rapala's from Cabela's with rattles in them since they were on sale, and I caught a bunch of fish on them at Caples.

Look at that, still on sale:

Cabela's: Rapala® X-Rap® Shad

Blog Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by phishndad View Post
    I caught a 12" trout on a 3/4 oz rattle trap while striper fishing on the stanislaus river a couple years ago. That little SOB sure was hungery lol!
    Watched a guy pull out a couple of nice Cutts at Pyramid on a Rattletrap.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

I knew there was some reason I've been saving this for the last 30 years or so...
    prim_rig.JPG

I was backpacking up the South Fork of the Stanislaus, up above Pinecrest. Saw some nice trout in the pools, but hadn't brought any fishing gear at all. But there was some nylon thread and a needle in my first-aid kit...
    The hardest part was getting a grasshopper to stay on the "hook". Well, now that I think about it maybe the hardest part was catching the hopper. Anyway it didn't take long to get a couple of small but meal-size fish, one for me and one for the very nice young woman I was trying to impress.

TB

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast