Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Unusual trout tactics?

Re: Unusual trout tactics?

First for me today, caught a 14" rainbow on a chunck of sardine while striper fishing on the lower stanislaus river below oakdale!

Central Valley near the San Joaquin River

For Big Trout , early in the morn .... believe it or not ... small Top water plugs such as zara puppies work great as do most jerkbaits ... Trout eat the same foods as bass for the most part and are just as agressive when hungry .... Ive caught browns spittn up good size crawdads even smaller trout ..... Split shot rigs work great for trout .. most importantly for trout downsize the hook and bait accordingly as trout dont have a very big mouth (especially when trolling ....I use a #4 hook and just enough bait to cover the hook ) trust me you'll catch more fish , I see guys using a huge whole crawler .. getting bit .... but not catching ... more often than not they bring it in missing half the crawler .... Here's your sign !!
    just my 2 cents
    Good Fishin

From my years of fishing I've become convinced that fish often bite something simply to figure out what it is. Think about it, we will pick something up, look at it from various angles and distances in an effort to determine what something unfamiliar is. Having hands and binocular vision gives us a real edge, and it's easier to see in the relative clarity of air. Fish often only see something with one eye, it's oftentimes moving and the only way to stop an object or pick it up is with there mouth. Now with bait, live or dead, they may recognize it as food or it at least smells like food, and flies are tied realistically enough to imitate various bugs and other aquatic life, but with most lures I'm guessing that they are simply trying to ascertain what that thing is. I've yet to see a swimming creature that resembled a Chartruese/black Vibrax, or a Fluorescent orange Flatfish, but I've caught fish on both these lures......

I like adapting fly fishing tackle for spinning gear. Tungsten beads and cones that are intended for tying fly fishing flies make good weights when working 2# test on a sliding sinker rig. They're tiny when compared to standard lead bullet weights and not all that expensive, depending on where you get them. But this is limited to an UL set up and in relatively shallow water.

I also use 1x fine dry fly hooks or short shank wide gap scud hooks in size 12, although I can go as low as size 14, but my preference is size 12. I like these hooks because they're sharp, light, have nice bends and are strong, making them ideal for floating micetail worms on a sliding sinker rig (or for rigging live bait like a red worm or mealworm). The cost can be economical (or expensive), depending on the brand. I just bought a hundred for seven dollars at the FlyShack booth at a local fly fishing show out here.
    Last edited by TroutGhost; 01-18-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Compassion View Post
    It would surprise you what you can get on those Gizits.

CC

White gizit behind a dodger has accounted for alot of fish for me,...once at the big O, stuck a 8#+ channel on a salt/pepper darthead 6# line,..had my hands full.

Cool Re: Unusual trout tactics?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Compassion View Post

CC

Well then don't take any to Blockhouse at Pyamid next time, com'on I dare ya
    ........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Blog Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BeefCakeScout View Post
    Saw a kid tossing a 4" giztit tube on the AR.....just casting and cranking. Nailed a nice 16" native bow.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Wow, gotta tell my brother about this thread, he will love it!

>>>Gummy worms

Ya' know, that kind of makes sense, actually.

drift or slowwww troll worms with a marshmello or powerbait to float it . use an egg sinker with beads to keep your rig o the bottom and make noise as it crawls and bounces along. works at my local resevoirs . i try to depend on a little breeze to move me along but if there isnt enough i will use the trolling motor to create some movement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast