• 5 Post By Captain Compassion
  • 3 Post By insearchoffish
  • 1 Post By Captain Compassion
  • 1 Post By RideNfish

Thread: Topaz - East Shore 01/09/13

Re: Topaz - East Shore 01/09/13

Quote Originally Posted by Lifted View Post
    CC,

How would you compare the action at Topaz this time of year to say mid-March? The only time I've been was March of last year when we rented an aluminum boat trolled & Rapalas for 5 planter rainbows over two days (about 8hrs on the water total) and caught one from the bank on the West shore just down from the highway on garlic PB. The cold isn't an issue for me, I just want to get up there earlier this year for a better chance at the tagged fish.

The west side banking has brought in the taggers around the opener. The lake should fill up a little this week as we have had some snow and warmer temps. Launching at the ramp would be tough for me and my 19' 6" jetboat but a smaller aluminum or a yak would be able to do it pretty easy........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

CC,

How would you compare the action at Topaz this time of year to say mid-March? The only time I've been was March of last year when we rented an aluminum boat trolled & Rapalas for 5 planter rainbows over two days (about 8hrs on the water total) and caught one from the bank on the West shore just down from the highway on garlic PB. The cold isn't an issue for me, I just want to get up there earlier this year for a better chance at the tagged fish.

I agree with Kevin. Wish you had more fish but the pics are beautiful. It actually looks warmer than our Pyramid trip. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by insearchoffish View Post
    Sorry you guys didnt catch more fish, but man what an awesome day. That pic of the lake hidden in the fog with the sun coming up is freakin awesome!!!!

Cold is only relative to warmth, the truck provides that. With snow on the shoreline you don't wanna get too close to the lake, so it was a small walk down. We will have more chances, I just need my Douglas County sticker for the park on the truck. No rangers were available, must have been inside or something. I hope to make a couple more stabs at the shoreline soon.........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Blog Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by insearchoffish View Post
    Sorry you guys didnt catch more fish, but man what an awesome day. That pic of the lake hidden in the fog with the sun coming up is freakin awesome!!!!
    Looks cold but it was warmer than Pyramid.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Blog Entries
    Images

Topaz - East Shore 01/09/13

Met with Dave in the Ranchos and headed to Topaz to give the east shore a try. Arrived at 0800 to temps in the mid to upper teens, light winds, a heavy ice fog and 3 inches of snow. We fished using green Gulp and managed only one stocker to the shore. At 1045 the wind started blowing heavy from the south. That was our cue to go. It was a fun day while it lasted. The East side is always pretty. Thanks for the trip Dave.

Where's the Lake?

Bundle Up

Only Trout

Icy Line

Calm and Clearing

Cold Winter Sun

View From the East Shore

Here Comes the Wind
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid