Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: New Melons 1-11

The Big Kahuna

Re: New Melons 1-11

Lol. Yee mods help us please. I think i caught a trout one. Sorry couldn't help it. So we are waiting don marv doug Jeremy.
    THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

The moderators should know what they are talking about so we should hear from them.
    Hey, no pressure guys! That was the funniest thing I've read all night.

These guys have put in their time solving this riddle. The forums here can provide some insight, but the rest is up to you. You have to put in your time and solve the equation in your own way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BSatter View Post
    So if I catch a trout bigger than 18” it is a holdover or a pen trout but defanitely not a planter.
    I'd say 18" is pushing the very largest DFG planter you'll see they avg 13-16"

Okay, just so I get it straight. No trout are planted in Melones bigger than 18” unless it is a kokanee power trout. and it is the planters that have the round tails because they are crowded. So if I catch a trout bigger than 18” it is a holdover or a pen trout but defanitely not a planter. I think the pen trout are browns and not rainbows though. I don’t care about those. I am just talking about stocked rainbows.

And Moccasin raises large trout only for people to go and see.

I also read that it could be spawning that the rainbows are so colorful.

Is trout from Moccasin the only trout that get planted in Melones beside the pen trout?

Thank you

Billy
    Not necessarily, It's different for every hatchery and strain of rainbow. A holdover can be 14". This description is for New Melones only. There are exception, but here's a rough guideline.

Stocked trout:

Caught mainly at or near planting site (Tuttletown & Glory Hole). 9"-18" silvery sides with a beautiful blueish/green back with white meat. Melones stocked trout usually have nice tails and full fins.

Holdover:

Caught in areas where stocked are found. Caught more in less traveled areas. 9"-giant. This time of year the male holdovers are a purplish/pink on the belly with blush red cheeks. They look nothing like the stockers.

The lake is stocked by DFG, but has been stocked by many others in the past.
    Last edited by Marv; 01-16-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    A bad fisherman will leave trash and take fish.
    A good fisherman will leave fish and take trash.

Okay, just so I get it straight. No trout are planted in Melones bigger than 18” unless it is a kokanee power trout. and it is the planters that have the round tails because they are crowded. So if I catch a trout bigger than 18” it is a holdover or a pen trout but defanitely not a planter. I think the pen trout are browns and not rainbows though. I don’t care about those. I am just talking about stocked rainbows.

And Moccasin raises large trout only for people to go and see.

I also read that it could be spawning that the rainbows are so colorful.

Is trout from Moccasin the only trout that get planted in Melones beside the pen trout?

Thank you

Billy

Blog Entries

Most likely the larger fish you saw were a lot less crowded. The fish get rounded tails (and pec fins) from rubbing each other in the runs. Those larger fish are brood stock, but they don't spawn fish at Moccasin any longer. A family friend used to be the hatchery manager of Moccasin, they used to have HUGE browns, brookies and bows in one run, just for the public to see.

Some of those browns were pushing 15lbs. A few years back they dumped most of them into Tulloch and Pedro. I know for a fact the ones that were dumped into tulloch did not last long.

Planters are usually very silvery or muted in color, have a rounded tail, don't fight like a holdover will and are usually smaller. I've not seen them (aside from the kokanee power pen) plant trout in Melones larger then 18".

I really like Moccasin creek, just too crowded during the opening month.

This is where I get confused. I moved to Groveland back in October and I have spent some time at the Moccasin fish hatchery. They plant trout that are very big up to 5# with full tails and color. Because there water is getting turned off, they are putting alot of big fish in Melones and Pedro that all have full tail.

I read that full tails are from eating good food. A couple weeks ago I asked them what they feed the fish because they are so nice and full tails. They said that trout chow was all these fish eat. nothing else.

I also read that Comanche trout are planters because they have no tail but have nice pink meat. I read that this is because the fish are feed kril with trout chow. Is this true.

I am going to be trying Melones and it would be nice to tell the difference because I only want the holdovers if I can tell the difference. The holdovers should be the best. Do holdovers even hang out together with planters?

Who really knows for sure. The moderators should know what they are talking about so we should hear from them. There is to many conflicts out there and we should be told from somebody who really knows. Sorry for all of the questions just want to know from somebody that knows. I have some pictures of these beautiful fish in the hatchery if I knew how to attach it. But why dont these fish have worn off tails?

Thanks, Billy

Those are some very nice trout. It looks like you were ice fishing from that picture you took. I recently moved with in a hour from New Melones. I would love to hook into some trout like that! Thanks for the pictures.

Marv – How can you tell those fish are holdovers?

Thanks

Bill
    As stated already the tails will tell you a lot. Most planters are worn down from the pens. The other fins can tell you as well. Oh, and he wasn't ice fishing. That lake is in the foothills and doesn't freeze. He just took the pics once he got home which is a higher elevation.

Cheers,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CRABBY View Post
    Hey BigUN I used to live on Elm up by the school,an on Fir st.the alley behind the memorial hall,LOL..Small World....Don
    Haha yea it is. I'm above Black Oak.

Blog Entries

Marv – How can you tell those fish are holdovers?

Thanks

Bill
    Big perfect tails, size of the fish, and to a lesser extent the color of the fish (esp the flesh)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast