Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mtn. man
  • 1 Post By CRABBY
  • 1 Post By mtn. man

Thread: I would like to try ice fishing.

Images

Re: I would like to try ice fishing.

No, There's no standard. I was just stating that if you feel uncomfortable out there, then stay closer to the shore. If you're going by yourself, then I would recommend going where there are other ice fishermen. It's not a good idea to head out alone. And, where there are others fishing, there will be old holes to fish through. If you have your own auger, you don't need to head out to deeper water all the time. I've caught tons of fish in 4 ft. of water under the ice. A rocky steep bank is a good place to drill a hole or two right up close to the bank. Don't forget those trout and macks love crawdads.
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Thanks for the input! How far off the shore should I go? I'm assuming the old holes will lead tell me. Just curious if there is a standard lets say at Silver or Caples?

Quote Originally Posted by mtn. man View Post
    I can give you a basic list of what you will need.

1) A good pair of pack boots to keep you feet warm and dry.

2) Warm clothes to keep the wind a cold off. Layer if possible. Don't forget the sunglasses.

3) A hand auger works fine, but with all the old holes there already, a hatchet or small axe to chip open an old hole will work. Be sure to get all the sharp edges of ice cleaned away, as they can and will cut your line.

4) a small wire type strainer to keep the hole free of snow and ice.

5) A 5 gallon bucket. It will double as a tackle box holder, and a chair. I would also suggest buying one of those $10.00 plastic sleds to put all your gear in and tow behind you. load up everything, and bungee it in.

6) Your regular trout gear will work fine, but a smaller pole is easier to pack and fish with on the ice.

7) Common sense.....Stay Safe....If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. Stay closer to the bank until you get used to the feel of the ice. When it starts to warm up out there, the ice will start to make all kinds of noises, cracking, groaning, sometimes you can even feel it move. as long as you stay on thick ice you'll be ok.

Keep your bait about a foot off the bottom, and don't forget to try jigging whenever possible.

That will get you started out there. once you get more into it, there's all kinds of gadgets and gizmos to make things more interesting.

Have fun and stay safe......

aka SMOGGUY

Quote Originally Posted by gcabral View Post
    been reading all the posts on ice fishing and would love to try it this year. my folks live in pioneer, ca off hwy 88.. not too far from silver and caples. can anyone provide a list of gear needed, techniques, etc? hand augers work for or do i need to invest in a electric or gas? any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
    mtn.man lives up by you an knows his stuff,follow his advice an Ya won't go wrong...Trust Me,he's really,really old an knows things!!!!......Don

Images

I can give you a basic list of what you will need.

1) A good pair of pack boots to keep you feet warm and dry.

2) Warm clothes to keep the wind a cold off. Layer if possible. Don't forget the sunglasses.

3) A hand auger works fine, but with all the old holes there already, a hatchet or small axe to chip open an old hole will work. Be sure to get all the sharp edges of ice cleaned away, as they can and will cut your line.

4) a small wire type strainer to keep the hole free of snow and ice.

5) A 5 gallon bucket. It will double as a tackle box holder, and a chair. I would also suggest buying one of those $10.00 plastic sleds to put all your gear in and tow behind you. load up everything, and bungee it in.

6) Your regular trout gear will work fine, but a smaller pole is easier to pack and fish with on the ice.

7) Common sense.....Stay Safe....If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. Stay closer to the bank until you get used to the feel of the ice. When it starts to warm up out there, the ice will start to make all kinds of noises, cracking, groaning, sometimes you can even feel it move. as long as you stay on thick ice you'll be ok.

Keep your bait about a foot off the bottom, and don't forget to try jigging whenever possible.

That will get you started out there. once you get more into it, there's all kinds of gadgets and gizmos to make things more interesting.

Have fun and stay safe......
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

A hand auger works fine, bring a chair and a snow shovel. Ice fishing is a lot of work.

I would like to try ice fishing.

been reading all the posts on ice fishing and would love to try it this year. my folks live in pioneer, ca off hwy 88.. not too far from silver and caples. can anyone provide a list of gear needed, techniques, etc? hand augers work for or do i need to invest in a electric or gas? any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks.