Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Amador 1/13/13

Blog Entries

Re: Amador 1/13/13

I think this thread has ran it's course.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    Not trying to stir the pot or wad anyones panties but....

I have seen a lot of boat reports that show people catching the planters. If you are catching planters, you are most likely not going to get a holdover as they are in different places atm.

Every winter, starting in the late fall (thankgiving-ish) Melones average size goes way up, if you know where and how to target them. Look at the gloryhole report, all those bank fish are large. Every time I've fished Melones for trout recently I've caught and seen big fish. I have photos on the walls of glory hole proving I've been catching large fish for years.

Does Amador have big trout? yes, are there a lot fewer then in years past? yes.

I feel like I'm talking bad about an ex girlfriend, lol.

I think the saying is 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish.

I just don't see how Amador is worth it anymore and that was my point, seems to ring true with quite a few guys here.

I'll try to get out tomorrow and see if I cant catch some large fish again. I'm confident I can.

Peace BUIDB

PS as far as the angels boat ramp I believe the gate is still locked at the parking lot. I only made it half way down the road before I turned around and went to another spot.

No worries you make great points and I agree Melones is a great lake. If I lived close to melones I would be the be there all time. For me I live in Roseville so Melones is a little far for me for a one day trip. I know melones has some huge trout and I am hoping to get up there soon.
    Last edited by Jfitalia; 01-15-2013 at 10:17 AM.

I don't think there is any need to "slam" Amador or any other lake...we are all looking for different things.

Amador is just not my "scene", for the reasons many listed here. So, I never go there. More space and more fish for those of you who enjoy Amador.

It's a win/win...we are all happy, right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dad+kids View Post
    Brought fourteen quality fish tothe boat and one big bass.

What was your average size? Have any pics?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    J is partially right. Melones fish are 12"-18" in the stocked areas. I can honestly say the RideNfish and I can claim a 2lb. average on Melones.

Speaking in fish talk only, Amador has bigger fish. Melones has prettier fish.
    Not trying to stir the pot or wad anyones panties but....

I have seen a lot of boat reports that show people catching the planters. If you are catching planters, you are most likely not going to get a holdover as they are in different places atm.

Every winter, starting in the late fall (thankgiving-ish) Melones average size goes way up, if you know where and how to target them. Look at the gloryhole report, all those bank fish are large. Every time I've fished Melones for trout recently I've caught and seen big fish. I have photos on the walls of glory hole proving I've been catching large fish for years.

Does Amador have big trout? yes, are there a lot fewer then in years past? yes.

I feel like I'm talking bad about an ex girlfriend, lol.

I think the saying is 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish.

I just don't see how Amador is worth it anymore and that was my point, seems to ring true with quite a few guys here.

I'll try to get out tomorrow and see if I cant catch some large fish again. I'm confident I can.

Peace BUIDB

PS as far as the angels boat ramp I believe the gate is still locked at the parking lot. I only made it half way down the road before I turned around and went to another spot.

OK I rarely post but I feel it is time to chime in... Ihave been reading all the post bad mouthing Amador and almost did not go lastFriday...Boy am I glad I did.... My two boys, guess there not boys anymore 21&19, went to Amador and just slammed them. Brought fourteen quality fish tothe boat and one big bass.
    When we registered I said to the kind lady who took my money " I have beenreading reports that the fishing has been slow". She told me “If it isslow you do not know how to fish".
    Well I am not saying I know how to fish but we had a great day catching bighard fighting trout!!!

What worked:
    White grub pink power egg
    Fire Tiger Rapala
    Cold Steel Rapala

All trolled at 1.5-1.7 mph on the GPS

Quote Originally Posted by BIG FIN View Post
    Big un is that consistent everday or is that just a good day?
    tight lines bf
    BF, there is NO lake that has great fishing everyday. That would be called a "Hatchery". LOL Melones is a great lake. The average there is like Marv said above. Their 14" planters are gorgeous though. Just an amazing chrome with a green/blue back. Really nice looking. But when you do get a holdover you know it.

Marv and I had a tremendous day that likely won't be repeated three weeks ago you can see here. But we went back, used the same tactics, at the same area for only a couple of fish. Like "anywhere" else the people that put in the time will get the reward. Also we didn't do the hang out at the easy access spot with a chair routine. We covered a LOT of ground. Miles and miles of it.

So give it a try but don't expect magic. Enjoy your day and the fish are a bonus. I have great days even when skunked.

I'm done with Amador. Most expensive lake to launch a boat and fish from, fish hard to catch (unless your a regular there) and now with what I'm reading....never again. And everyone wonders about the unique taste right? Hmmmm, could it be that the City of Jackson's treated wastewater dumps into Jackson Creek, which in turn flows into Amador? Food for thought.

J is partially right. Melones fish are 12"-18" in the stocked areas. I can honestly say the RideNfish and I can claim a 2lb. average on Melones.

Speaking in fish talk only, Amador has bigger fish. Melones has prettier fish.
    Last edited by Marv; 01-14-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    A bad fisherman will leave trash and take fish.
    A good fisherman will leave fish and take trash.

That's right, everyone stay home, Amador sucks, cost too much, fish are tiny, and the bathrooms are dirty. Won't find me there..nope..not this week..
    You stab em', I'll slab em'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast