Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By dpars
  • 1 Post By wearegods1

Thread: Folsom 1/13

Re: Folsom 1/13

Quote Originally Posted by unhookt View Post
    Looking to head out this weekend. Is the Granite Bay launch open?
    Yes. I was just there this past weekend.

Images

Looking to head out this weekend. Is the Granite Bay launch open?

This is great information! I've lived in the area for 30 years and have never fished Folsom. I need to give it a try.

Thanks, all.

Wishn

Thanks for the tips James and Dave. I did run one pole with lead core out 2 colors, but one had one strike on it. It did have flashers with a worm for several hours. I'll give those tips a try and report back any luck.

Thanks, Don

Dpars, I use to get frustrated with Folsom. Besides what James said you can vary your speeds and run zig-zag trolling patterns. I catch a lot of fish in turns! Most of the bows are in the top 10' of water right now so dr's aren't needed. You can run a small egg sinker above you're dodger to get it down 8-10 w\o letting too much line out. I troll dodger combos 1.4-2.5 mph and rapalas 2.4-3mph. Next time out try further up south fork where it makes a hard right, hold tight to right hand shore line and run across points. Good luck and see you on the water! Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dpars View Post
    Headed out to Folsom Sunday morning and braved the cold. I've never had too much luck there, but it being so close I decided it was time to put some effort in, and see if I can figure the place out. We were having problems with the depth finder, so we really weren't able to learn much as far as depths and where fish were holding, so we kinda flew blind. Definately need that to learn a newish lake.

Headed out of Folsom Point at 8 am in the balmy 27 degree weather. Started trolling outside the mouth and headed east torward the south fork. 30 minutes later caught a spunky 15" rainbow that flew out of the water 3-4 times. Nickle Bikini needlefish behind a dodger.Folsom trout.JPG

Caught one right away, so thought it was going to be a good day. No more fish after that though. Had a couple of bites as the morning progressed, but no takers. Did manage to have one of the water fowl take the same needlefish. Not sure what kind of bird, but it's the white bird that dives under water to eat. This one dove under and took my lure. Had it on for 5 minutes trying to figure out how to save the setup and not hurt the bird. Fortunately he was able to free himself when I gave him slack.

Well I'll be back with a working depth finder to try to figure this place out. Hopefully it'll be a little warmer next time.
    to be successful at Folsom, you cannot follow the regular rules for fishing. Meaning that yes, a dodger should help the presentation, but not here. Try the needlefish by itself about 150-175' back. You will do much better. If using downriggers, only down about 5-6 feet. Otherwise topline it with a couple splitshots. Also, a sling-blade with a worm trailer works good here. Try about 2.2-2.5gps speed. You will get your limit in a couple hours.
    My top lure has been a cop car needle fish or pearl bikini with no dodgers. Have been limiting out about everytime I come which is a couple times per week. Have also been getting lots of small kings doing the same thing. Trout are running larger this year and are chocked full of smelt or whatever the small baitfish are here.
    fishinjames.com

Folsom 1/13

That's a beautiful catch. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Folsom 1/13

Headed out to Folsom Sunday morning and braved the cold. I've never had too much luck there, but it being so close I decided it was time to put some effort in, and see if I can figure the place out. We were having problems with the depth finder, so we really weren't able to learn much as far as depths and where fish were holding, so we kinda flew blind. Definately need that to learn a newish lake.

Headed out of Folsom Point at 8 am in the balmy 27 degree weather. Started trolling outside the mouth and headed east torward the south fork. 30 minutes later caught a spunky 15" rainbow that flew out of the water 3-4 times. Nickle Bikini needlefish behind a dodger.Folsom trout.JPG

Caught one right away, so thought it was going to be a good day. No more fish after that though. Had a couple of bites as the morning progressed, but no takers. Did manage to have one of the water fowl take the same needlefish. Not sure what kind of bird, but it's the white bird that dives under water to eat. This one dove under and took my lure. Had it on for 5 minutes trying to figure out how to save the setup and not hurt the bird. Fortunately he was able to free himself when I gave him slack.

Well I'll be back with a working depth finder to try to figure this place out. Hopefully it'll be a little warmer next time.